Starting a new league.... sugestions to house rules.?..

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Joaquim

Starting a new league.... sugestions to house rules.?..

Post by Joaquim »

I'll start a new league... and I'm thinking of some house rules... I would like to know what you think about it...

1) Aging: EXP, without any doubt!

2) Elite PLayers: when you first form your team you may buy players with extra SPP's at 10% (of original price) each, until the maximum of 10 (after all I play with Goblins!!!)

3) Refree: I'm thinking of using a "4th position" for the refree... so instead of the refree going from one team to the other he will go to the middle (+1 to each team) as he tries to have his eyes over all players...

4) Star PLayers & Secret Weapons: Well... it's here that things start really to complicate... I would prefer to see Star Players in the rosters and Secret Weapons detached from players (so it could be confiscated by a 12 on the penality roll...)... but...
But Most SPs look too powerfull to be in the roster and some SWs really need some kind of skill...
Well, I don't know if this league is starting right now, or if we will wait until the new rules set comes out (November, isn't it?)... if we start soon I think the only solution is to let things as they are (in LRB) exept that you can put in the roster the SPs with SW, but the others are only FreeBooters...
If I got time I would like to make the following transformations:
Secret Weapons: Some may require a skill, some not, some will improve if used by a player with the «right» skill... they are detached from the players (but I don't know if allowed to rest in the Reserves Box or only at home, in this case if it is in the Reserves it can be lost by Penalty roll)...
Star PLayers: 2 levels: the existing ones as they are (freebooters), but I think I should create a set of «low level» SPs... some with the «right» skills to use SWs, some just with «weird» skills, and some not so «low» but olders....

Well... there is a lot of House Rules I would also like to try... like Stadiums, diferent pitchs... but most people in this league is almost starting, so I want to keep simplicity where possible (well, perhaps this answer my doubt in the previous point..), and I not want to make rules wich may make the winning teams too powerfull - as there is hope that this league goes for severel seasons... with the teams growing, perhaps even with new teams next tournement.... if there are enought players - wich is a hard thing to find here in Portugal...

Sorry for my english, thanks for your comemts... and congratulations for you patience if you actually read all this!!!..

Joaquim

Reason: ''
Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

Here's a suggestion: do not use star players, they just unbalance things alot.

-Balrog

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

Yes, yes to Balrog you listen!

Star Players will be a big pain! If you do use them then i cannot stress enough how important it is that you use the 'freeboot only' clause.

Our league never used them much in 3rd edition except to freeboot here and there but we had no house rules about them. Then along comes a Count Luthor and then a Griff and then a Morg and pretty soon it was big old arms race so we banned them.
After the LRB rules we used them as freeboot only and it was alot fun when one showed up. It was like the old dys again!

special note-We used the 'extended list' even under the LRB rules.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Corlus
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Corlus »

I agree with Balrog. Star Players, as they are now, are unbalancing. Not every team can get them. And as roster players, they are relied upon too heavily to allow the rest of the team to get SPP's.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Now see I don't see a problem with freebootable star players. The MBBL's 1st season didn't have any and I'm betting this season we'll see only 1 or 2 max (40 teams/6 games) I'd like to freeboot Deeproot once just for fun for my Halflings but that a lot of cash to save up for one game.

Use the LRB freeboot rules and Star are fine.

Galak

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Well, my suggestions:-

If a lot of the players are new then keep it simple. This means as close to LRB 1.3 as possible.

Here's specific comments on suggestions:-

Aging

Depends on how long the league will go on for and whether you all start new teams in season 2. If you start over then I recommend no aging. Aging is only there to stop teams growing too fast. If you want to have aging, I suggest the LRB 1.3 version since it is simpler than the EXP one.

Elite Players

I don't like it.... keep them all rookies. If you want a better roster give all teams more cash to spend at the start - eg 1,050,000 or 1,100,000. However, my preference is to stick to the 1,000,000.

Referee

An alternative to IGMEOY is the track. Each time you foul the ref goes down your side of the track. It starts at 6 and if you foul it goes to 5. If your opponent fouls it goes back to 6. I prefer IGMEOY - but if you want something different then try this.

Star Players

KILL - do not use them - IMO they take a lot of skill away and do unbalance games.

Secret Weapons

Use 4th Edition rules. Alternatively allow freebooting of secret weapons per game (I like this idea - I think it was Mestari's).

Overall though - if a lot of you are just starting, my recommendation is play as close as possible to LRB 1.3. After you have all played more add in extras afterwards.

Dave

Joaquim

Post by Joaquim »

I don't see a problem with freebootable star players either.... but in a league... well, without tournements finals and semi-finals you don't see any of them.... but if I manage to get enought players around here I can turn it in 2 divisions and then, in the final fase perhaps some show up...
My problem is having the figs for nothing!!.. :)

On the other hand I think it could be funny to have some SPs with weird skills... but... well, after looking again to the skill list it doesn't look so much... so... after all I think Star is really fine...

And, I guess, Secret Weapons should also be.... even if most of them are worst than «regular» Star Players....