Time-based Handicap System

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

everyman
Experienced
Experienced

Time-based Handicap System

Post by everyman »

Here's the Oakland Blood Bowl League's proposition for a new handicap system:

For each point of difference between team ratings, the higher TR team is penalized one second.

For example: A TR 100 versus a TR 160 team results in the TR 100 team having the standard 4 minute time limit for each of their turns, however the TR 160 team would have a reduced 3 minute time limit.

Additionally, impose a time penalty cap of 2 minutes, meaning no matter how large the difference in TR, coaches always have at least two minutes for each of their turns. This is to prevent games having a TR difference of more than 240 in resulting in no time for the high TR coach.

Possible variants:

(a) Don't detract time from the high TR team, instead give additional time to the lower TR team.

(b) Provide a scalar for the time penalty; for example one second of time penalty for every difference of 10 TR (instead of for every 1 TR).

(c) Don't penalize the high TR team on every turn, instead allow the lower TR team to assign these penalty seconds as they see fit. For instance: the lower TR team has two minutes of "penalty time", they could choose at the beginning of one of their opponents turns to reduce their time for that particular turn down to two minutes, but only for that turn.

Side Effects:

(a) Experienced coaches are conditioned to speed up the play of their turns.

(b) No need to balance the handicap table, because there is no handicap table.

(c) Problematic for leagues which do not enforce time limits.

Opinions?

-- Eric

Reason: ''
Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are some rules in the LRB that many players don't use at all. From what I can tell, timed turns is probably the #2 least used rule in Blood Bowl. I think the suggestion is an interesting one, but it's probably not going to get real serious consideration.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

I love timed turns. I like this idea and may suggest it to a friend who's trying to even out handicaps.

Have fun!
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Re: Time-based Handicap System

Post by Zombie »

I think it's a very good idea, except for this problem, which you mentioned yourself:
everyman wrote:(c) Problematic for leagues which do not enforce time limits.
Otherwise, i would be a great rules. I don't like the other variants you propose, but your original suggested is simple yet effective. Very elegant.

Mojoshenpo
Veteran
Veteran

In theory...

Post by Mojoshenpo »

... I really like the idea! I hope it gets official consideration and at least becomes an option....

Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Cervidal »

Here's the trip up:

Most timers can't be set to specific seconds.

I don't know about you, but most timers I've used go in minute or ten-second incriments.

D'Arquebus
Experienced
Experienced

Post by D'Arquebus »

I think this proposition is a good one. Personally, I do not use the time limits on my league, thus exposing the only real flaw with the idea.

However, I have been strongly considering bringing them back because it adds pressure to the coaches. When it comes down to the wire the coach who makes the fewest mistakes will be the coach who wins. If the coaches then get a reduced time limit to make decisions it increases the chances of mistakes or overlooking things.

As to the logistics problem that Cervidal pointed out I would suggest that rounding to the nearest 10 seconds would be a suitable comprimise.

13th to 24 Teams Worldwide :)

www.ausbowl.com - The Home of Australian Blood Bowl.
www.nzbbn.com The Home of New Zealand Blood Bowl

zeroalpha
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zeroalpha »

You could use this very effectively i think with a chess timer.

You set the total time allowed for the entire game. Adjust for the team ratings and then play.

As each coach finishes their turn they activate the time for the next coach and so on. Works really well, but it isn't really a four minute turn limit, rather a 32 minute half minus the handicap

Just another angle on the suggestion

everyman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by everyman »

Skummy: I'm curious as to what the #1 least used rule in BB is.

D'Arquebus: I think most experienced coaches who play BB with a time limit enjoy it (at least here in Oakland). That being said it does penalize inexperienced players.

zeroalpha: I like the idea of using a chess timer for BB, the only problem that I see is that it reduces the penalty for prematurely terminating your turn (e.g. double skulls RR'd into double skulls). If you mess up your turn you don't lose any time for your time bank.

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

everyman wrote:Skummy: I'm curious as to what the #1 least used rule in BB is.
Painted GW minis.

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

That'd be my guess too.

Have fun!