Attempting to put together an Expanded Kick-Off table.

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

26-is it really a misreading?
the defence set up before the offense and sometimes, it will be great to dont be beat down or to be in deep defence.

31-so, if on a normal kick the ball bouce in the kicking team's field but for only one square, will it be a touchback? or no?
does this change the rules or is it an exeption? (advice: put it black on white or there will be a lot of thread about it) :)

PS: I want this kind of kicking table!!
(maybe different weather table too?-just an idea to dig for some 'official rules) :)

Reason: ''
Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
franck_le_grand
Veteran
Veteran

Post by franck_le_grand »

I would like to see a new kickoff table, the regular one is boring, but it seems that nobody likes the idea of the change of weather (including me). My suggestion is that you only have one "changing weather" on the kickoff table, and when the half comes you roll again for weather. It seemes a bit odd, that after the first two turns where a TD has been scored, the weather suddenly changes from "sweltering heat" to "perfect".
Or it could already be in the first turn...
But otherwise I like the new kickoff table...

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

As nobody else seems to, I will step in to defend the 'weather seems to be changing' -results:

About 1/6 of all the results should be like that!

Why? Because it's boring? No. Because we need an event that in most cases (5/6 if the weather is nice) does not do anything. It ensures that the perfectly normal kickoff is a likely event. There's no point having something wacky happen on every kick-off.

Also, should the weather be something else, we should have good chances of returning the weather back to nice. Why? Because the extreme weather conditions have a severe effect on gameplay, and should not last throughout the game.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
manusate
Veteran
Veteran

Post by manusate »

Why? Because it's boring? No. Because we need an event that in most cases (5/6 if the weather is nice) does not do anything. It ensures that the perfectly normal kickoff is a likely event. There's no point having something wacky happen on every kick-off.
I have to agree here.

Haar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Haar »

The corner blitz result is a little confusing. Can the guys in the wide zone take move actions in order to set up a 2-die block? Or do they all have to take blitz actions (ending in a block)?

neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

Haar wrote:The corner blitz result is a little confusing. Can the guys in the wide zone take move actions in order to set up a 2-die block? Or do they all have to take blitz actions (ending in a block)?
it was confusing so I re-wrote it:

Corner Blitz! Each defensive player in the wide zones may make a Blitz or Move action. The bonus actions do not count against the kicking team’s turn limit for the half, so their coach does not have to move the Turn marker along a space, and he cannot be called for illegal procedure for failing to move the Turn marker.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

The description is still somewhat unclear:
1). Does the corner blitz end to a TO, so is it a turn like in Blitz?
2). So this would mean that the team would be allowed up to 4 extra blitz actions? Wouldn't it be good that only one of them can do a blitz?

If you can do 4 blitzes, then read the following. If you can only do 1, then ignore the following and clearly state in the description that you can only do one.
Anyhow:

I mean a lot of the balance and many tactics in the game depend on a team being able to execute only one blitz per turn. Because the odds in blocking heavily favour the attacker, four available blitzes could be a devastating result.

For example: I've set up on defense so that I have 1 ST4 player and one ST3 player in each WZ.
I get corner blitz: the ST4 players blitz the nearest player and use their remainng movement to move next to the next player. Then the ST3 players go and blitz those and move into good positions.
This is too good, IMO. They could also be used to blitz the offensive teams LOS, efficiently turning the LOS-situation upside down.

My take would be:
Corner blitz is an ordinary turn (but don't move the marker), but only the players in the wide zones can take an action.

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

I,m all in favour of a better kick off table, however i am still n ot happy that the Odds to get Riot/ Pitch Invasion is still the same. Bearing in mind the odds off getting this on the normal KO Table is 1 in 36, and the odds for it is still the same. Bearing in mind that the avaerage kick-offs per game is at least 5, that mans you'll get a Riot Result and also a pitch Invasion result almost every 7 games. Therefore every third game will get on average one of these extreme results.

What i would prefer is that the odds for the overpowered game changing events changed, by making them less common.

IE Roll 2D6,

2 Roll on One off Events table
3-4 Roll on Normal events tavble
5,6,8 &9 Nothing Happens ( Yes NOTHING you just carry on playing just like most games do at the kick off )
7 Roll on weather table
10-11 Roll on Normal Events table
12 Roll on One off events table

The events like Pitch invasion etc could then be limited to One off events.
Blitz needs to be down powered and and things like Streaker, Autograph Hunter etc and the other good ideas can be implemented in the secondary tables.

I know it involves rolling a couple of more dice but i'd prefer that anyday, to having my game reduced by up to 6 Turns, Suddenly from 2-0 up finding 6 Players in the Injury box, A roll of Blitz, completely changing the course of a game. These elements do not add fun to the game, just an element of frustration and unreasonable luck when they occur.

There frequency in normal games is limited to about once a season. I appreciate BloodBowl is set in a violent world but every third game or so should not be effected by such extreme rolls.

Particularly in a tournament environment, where the game can turn on such a dramatic event. I accept that luck of course plays a part in the game, but that which involves die rolls on Block and paasing is acceptable and you know the risk when you make the play therefore can plan for it.
The Kick Off table is currently IMO involving an unacceptable luck element

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

I,m all in favour of a better kick off table, however i am still n ot happy that the Odds to get Riot/ Pitch Invasion is still the same. Bearing in mind the odds off getting this on the normal KO Table is 1 in 36, and the odds for it is still the same. Bearing in mind that the avaerage kick-offs per game is at least 5, that mans you'll get a Riot Result and also a pitch Invasion result almost every 7 games. Therefore every third game will get on average one of these extreme results.

What i would prefer is that the odds for the overpowered game changing events changed, by making them less common.

IE Roll 2D6,

5,6,8 &9 Nothing Happens ( Yes NOTHING you just carry on playing just like most games do at the kick off )
7 Roll on weather table

Blitz needs to be down powered and and things like Streaker, Autograph Hunter etc and the other good ideas can be implemented in the secondary tables.

I know it involves rolling a couple of more dice but i'd prefer that anyday, to having my game reduced by up to 6 Turns, Suddenly from 2-0 up finding 6 Players in the Injury box, A roll of Blitz, completely changing the course of a game. These elements do not add fun to the game, just an element of frustration and unreasonable luck when they occur.

There frequency in normal games is limited to about once a season. I appreciate BloodBowl is set in a violent world but every third game or so should not be effected by such extreme rolls.

Particularly in a tournament environment, where the game can turn on such a dramatic event. I accept that luck of course plays a part in the game, but that which involves die rolls on Block and paasing is acceptable and you know the risk when you make the play therefore can plan for it.

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

IE Roll 2D6,

7 Roll on weather table

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Sorry about that i tried to edit it and some wierd debug menu came up and reposted the previous?????

gallowin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gallowin »

There are two types of people in my league, those who enjoy the mechanics & strategy of the game and those who get their kicks off of the random stuff (good or bad).

If you don't agree with some of the kick off results, then house rule them to your liking. Riot, pitch invasion, corner blitz, etc are just flavor of the game. Sucks when they happen but it's fun to laugh about it later.

"A twist of the wrist, a slip of the blade, and your posturing is ended"
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

gallowin wrote:There are two types of people in my league, those who enjoy the mechanics & strategy of the game and those who get their kicks off of the random stuff (good or bad).

If you don't agree with some of the kick off results, then house rule them to your liking. Riot, pitch invasion, corner blitz, etc are just flavor of the game. Sucks when they happen but it's fun to laugh about it later.

Random events must be fan and spectacular, but they should be at a level which doesn't completely destroy the enjoyment of the game by those who concentrate on the tactical aspect. And IMO the corner blitz (if you're allowed four blitzes) is far too devastating as it defies a basic controlling mechanic employed by the rules, namely the "only one blitz per turn"-mechanic.

Relborn
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Relborn »

Hello everyone,

I can't understand why everyone here is so unhappy with the Cornerblitz result ? Maybe I misread someting, but IMO a cornerblitz is just a weaker version of the BLITZ result (you can only move up to 4 players during that CORNERBLITZ).

Personally I would like to see just random events in a kick-off table and see things like BLITZ, QUICK SNAP and so on in another game mechanic.

The way I am planning to change this is by giving re-rolls an additional meaning. That could look like this

Before an Kick-off buy an Blitz-Try for one (or maybe two) re-rolls.
On a result of 4+ you succeed with your Blitz move.

There are a few other moves (offensive and defensive you could choose from).

Just let me know if you are interested in hearing more

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Relborn wrote:I can't understand why everyone here is so unhappy with the Cornerblitz result ? Maybe I misread someting, but IMO a cornerblitz is just a weaker version of the BLITZ result (you can only move up to 4 players during that CORNERBLITZ).
The point was that IF all of those four players are able to make a blitz action then I don't like it. Otherwise it's good.