The Pacts

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

voyagers_uk wrote:only two wights again? :o

that is a shame :(
Okay, look at the change between the teams the BB Mag #3 team and the one the MBBL is using:

1) No 0-1 players
2) The team already had 4 catchers with the ghouls ... it didn't need a 5th.
3) The old team had 2 ST 5 players the BB Mag #3 team only had 2 ST 4 ... This team returns some of the team's old muscle with four ST 4 players and gives the team back 2 players with Mighty Blow.
4) Having 0-2 Wights isn't so bad since the team still has 4 Blitzers (2 can actually dodge)

And thanks for the vote of confidence Torg.

Furelli,
A Greenskin and Chaos Dwarf ally roster will very likely follow if these 3 are accepted. I think an Undead one using the 3 Undead teams could work also ... might need some work though.

As for Dwarves and Elves together ... no problem there for me. Elves and Dwarves have played on the same team in edition 1 and 2 of Blood Bowl so I don't have a problem.

Galak

Reason: ''
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I like it, I was just asking as I was now used to having 4 of them.

I suppose if GW can make Big changes I can let you off a small one. :P

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Elves and Dwarves have historically been allies, though general distrust abounds..

If you want an example of how Elves and Dwarves function together, just look at me and Lucy... ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS I'm the Dwarf! :roll:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

if there's a greenskin pact team, can we get those damn gobbos off the mainline orc roster?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

And Underworld Creepers ... using the model for the pact teams ... might look like:

0-12 Goblin 40k
0-4 Skaven Lineman 50k

Allies: Skaven
Big Guys: Troll, Rat Ogre
Rerolls: 80k
Special Rule: Goblins on Underworld Creepers team can take physical mutations on doubles.

That would be my recommendation based on what the MBBL is testing.

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Undead Pact team:

0-12 Zombie 30k
0-4 Ghoul 70k

Allies: Necromantic, Khemri, Vampire
Rerolls: 70k
Big Guys: None

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Chaos Dwaf ally team ... my own thoughts ... like I said I have zero memory of what Chet had suggested.

Chaos Dwarf Slave roster:

0-12 Hobgoblin 40k
0-2 Chaos Dwarves 70k

Rerolls: 70k
Allies: Goblin, Orc, Chaos Dwarf
Big Guys: Ogre, Troll, Minotaur

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Finally my thoughts on the Greenskin roster (and I agree with Lucien that if this was official ... zap the Goblins off the Orc roster)

0-12 Orc Lineman
0-2 Goblin

Allies: Chaos, Chaos Dwarf, Goblin, Norse, Orc
Rerolls: 80k
Big Guys: Ogre, Troll

There are my thoughts on the 4 other pact teams that make sense to me to have.

Galak

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

i dunno, some of the pact rosters are just getting to be weak sides... the creepers wind up with one position player, the chaos dwarf team is going to end up with one bull again, and not get that allfire much in return, and a greenskin roster is just an orc team or a slight;ly improved gobbo team depending upon how you look at it...

the pact notion is certainly an effective enough way to accomplish a couple of things, but for me, the lustria team was already pushing the edge of both reason and effectiveness.... the chaos team seems to work, the old world team gives a solution to a frequesntly-requested (but certainly not needed) roster.... but this mechanic will not work for all mixed teams...

lets look at that underworld creepers team... you wind up with what, 9gobbos, 4 skaven linemn, a skaven thrower, a rat ogre, and a troll... sorry, but that's not the underworld creepers...

i don't like it, no i don't... this pact system works for some things, but i just don't think we're going to be able to extend it effectively beyond a handful of rosters...

Furelli
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Furelli »

I agree with Lucian. This pact model is a nice way to get allies into the game. There should however be only five or six Pact teams. I just feel that the Chaos pact has too much choice over the other two pacts that are currently on show which is why I suggested splitting them up.

Dwarves and Elves on the same team, ok if it fits with the fluff lets leave it be cause I do like the team.

I like Galaks Undead pact team and I can't wait to see the Vampires in BBMag #4.

On another note i've always felt that Orc and Undead (or necromantic team) have had too many roster choices but that may just be me!

Furelli

Am I living in a box? Am I living in a cardboard box?
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

I don't mind having lots of Pact teams. But most of them should be clearly below the one-race teams.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Lucien Swift wrote:i dunno, some of the pact rosters are just getting to be weak sides... the creepers wind up with one position player, the chaos dwarf team is going to end up with one bull again, and not get that allfire much in return, and a greenskin roster is just an orc team or a slight;ly improved gobbo team depending upon how you look at it...
Chaos Dwarf Slave Team:
1 Ogre
1 Troll
1 Minotaur
2 Goblin
1 Orc Thrower
2 Chaos Dwarf Blocker
1 Bull Centaur
7 Hobgoblin

That doesn't suck to me Lucien ... there's about as much beat down in there as the Chaos Roster. Similarly, I didn't find the Greenskin mix up that uneffective either with the high AV Lineman and the mix of positional players available.
the pact notion is certainly an effective enough way to accomplish a couple of things, but for me, the lustria team was already pushing the edge of both reason and effectiveness.... the chaos team seems to work, the old world team gives a solution to a frequesntly-requested (but certainly not needed) roster.... but this mechanic will not work for all mixed teams...
Lustrian:
2 Skink, 1 Saurus, 1 Kroxigor, 1 Ogre, 1 Norse Thrower, 1 Amazon Blitzer, 9 Amazon Linemen .... I still like it.
lets look at that underworld creepers team... you wind up with what, 9gobbos, 4 skaven linemn, a skaven thrower, a rat ogre, and a troll... sorry, but that's not the underworld creepers...
The 2nd edition Creepers team was 10 goblins, 2 Storm Vermin, 2 Throwers, 2 Linerats. Hate to disagree with you Lucien, but my version is not that much different than what was in the 2nd edition book at least to my eyes (the 2nd edition team was what I used as the template) ... add in physical skill access for the Goblins from 2nd edition and I think this team is a fair representation of the 2nd edition team.
i don't like it, no i don't... this pact system works for some things, but i just don't think we're going to be able to extend it effectively beyond a handful of rosters...
I don't agree with it beyond these 4, but I think these all had potential.

Galak

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

GalakStarscraper wrote: Chaos Dwarf Slave Team:
1 Ogre
1 Troll
1 Minotaur
2 Goblin
1 Orc Thrower
2 Chaos Dwarf Blocker
1 Bull Centaur
7 Hobgoblin
yeah, but is that really a chaos dwarf team? i thnk the conflict of opinion here is not so much mechanical as conceptual... some prefer to think of chaos dwarfs in terms of a handful of slavedrivers and their orcoid minoions, some like to think of them as corrupted dwarfs....

i just miss the good old days of 2e when chaos dwarfs were chaos dwarfs and hobgoblins were comic relief...

i suppose if you're going to keep an existing cd roster and add a cd slaver pact roster, that's one thing, calling the pact roster the new replacement cd rostert just makes me shake my head in frustration yet again...
Lustrian:
2 Skink, 1 Saurus, 1 Kroxigor, 1 Ogre, 1 Norse Thrower, 1 Amazon Blitzer, 9 Amazon Linemen .... I still like it.
again, mechanical vs. conceptual... it's not neccessarilly going to break the game, but i don't happen to think that these races would play nice, even if we're tossing wfb fluff out on its ear, which i'm happy to do, i just prefer to think of amazons as being a bit too bitchy to play nice with anything and lizardmen as insular.... but then, that's just fluff, so who gives a rats ass...
The 2nd edition Creepers team was 10 goblins, 2 Storm Vermin, 2 Throwers, 2 Linerats. Hate to disagree with you Lucien, but my version is not that much different than what was in the 2nd edition book at least to my eyes (the 2nd edition team was what I used as the template) ... add in physical skill access for the Goblins from 2nd edition and I think this team is a fair representation of the 2nd edition team.
how is that, you're missing 5 of the 6 position players! no, the creepers are still, as always, better off with their own unique basic roster.... and it's not like imitators to the creepers are thick on the ground... as far as i can remember there are no persistant references to this mixture in the bb fluff, the creepers are a one-of-a-kind team, why even bother with a roster of any sort outsiode of representing the famous teams, and if you're doing that, then you can do whatever the heck you want...

either way, the pact approach to the creepers just seems to be a class-a kludge...

I don't agree with it beyond these 4, but I think these all had potential.
potential to do what, though? potential to be interesting and possibly balanced mechanics for playing mixed-race teams? well, yeah, they probably do... but potential to be a way to represent the chaos all-stars, the underworld creepers, the chaos dwarfs, and the heros of law? in that regard the results vary from moderate to not-at-all...

and that, then is what it comes down to... if (and that's a big neon 'if' with sparklers and a spokesmodel) this is the best and most effective way to achieve intergrated teams, then a few long-held _concepts_ might have to take it on the chin in the name of consistently applying a good and noble rule... but i'm not of the opinion that mixed-race teams should or need to be a part of the game at all in the first place! if your roster has holes, deal with it, play another team, or quit... in the end, the only reason for mixed-race teams as standard team choices is quite simply to give unimaginative players the ability to cover faults in their play of teams they aren't really suited to playing anyway...

if someone came to me with converted and painted miniatures in hand and said "look at this team! can i please play the chaos all-stars" i'd say "gee, timmy, that's a hell of a modelling job and i really respect your reaffirmation of the history and character of bloodbowl, let's sit down and work you up a one-of-a-kind, as-balanced-as-possible roster to represent this team" (in fact, when someone once came to me with a lovingly rendered dark elf/skeleton 'necromancer' team i did essentially just this and it was fun for everyone involved)... if, on the other hand, timmy were to show up with his 3e chaos team, which he plays because he likes to hurt people and gloat, but he's having trouble winning games because he can't do anything on the ball, so he gets a couple of dark elves, does nothing to change the models in any way, and then dips them in black paint (the "paint job" of the rest of the team) and expects me to give him the mechanics to cover the failures in his own character and ability to play the game, i'll most likely wither him with sarcasm and obcenities...

that's what it comes down to for me, pacts aren't a good thing in my eyes, and the specific teams or concepts that they strive in some cases to represent should be treated as unique in gameplay as they are in fluff...

but then, that's fluff, so who gives a rats ass...

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

I am with lucien on this, i don't think messing about with the existing teams is necessary or required.

I am a bit unsure on what the whole "pact" thing is to start with anyway, can someone explain what this actually means please :?:

I don't see the point in having a "choas dwarf slave team" like you suggested there, i mean there is only 2 actual chaos dwarfs, not much of a choas dwarf team is it.

Also letting teams have lots of varied player types like these kind of takes away from the character and the feeling of the teams, they look more like a "group" rather than a "team".

The rosters all seem to be equal and working fine as they are, why start messing about with them?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Lucien Swift wrote: i suppose if you're going to keep an existing cd roster and add a cd slaver pact roster, that's one thing, calling the pact roster the new replacement cd rostert just makes me shake my head in frustration yet again...
Addition definitely ... I would not delete the current CD roster at all ... no pact team could do them justify and I don't get a flying fig if they don't exist in WFB anymore either. There are days I'd be pretty happy if we agreed on an alternate universe theory for BB so I could have my Slann, Weres, and Half-Orcs back.
again, mechanical vs. conceptual... it's not neccessarilly going to break the game, but i don't happen to think that these races would play nice
Of all the pact teams this is most difficult conceptually.
how is that, you're missing 5 of the 6 position players!
Actually I was only missing 3 (since the 2nd ed team only had 4 total). But I see your point ... it would be better if you could have the Creeper roster by 0-12 Gobbos, 0-4 S. Lineman, 0-2 Storm Vermin and then allow the Skaven team to ally.
either way, the pact approach to the creepers just seems to be a class-a kludge...
Agreed but I'd like to see a Creeper type team return to BB .. .just me.
that's what it comes down to for me, pacts aren't a good thing in my eyes, and the specific teams or concepts that they strive in some cases to represent should be treated as unique in gameplay as they are in fluff...
Understood ... just doubt you are going to see these types of teams return outside of this type of format. And I, Galak, would like to see them, but then again you know my attitude about the number of teams available to coaches to choose from.

And Lucien ... I do gave a rat about fluff ... its why I hate the BB Mag #3 Necro team.

Galak