Painted miniatures rule

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Hey, buy me a mini too, I'll paint you a team (never claimed it would be good).

Reason: ''
GO STAMPEDERS!
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

<Deleted due to people gratuitously missing the point>

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

Trambi wrote:Darkson : You can convince a fanatic painter to paint your minis. For example,if you give/buy me a nice ogre mini, i will paint a whole team :-?
=>since when???
i ask you more than one time and i have to do it by myself....

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Trambi
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Trambi »

Longshot : Do you have a cool ogre mini ?

Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !
cunningstunt
Rookie
Rookie

painted

Post by cunningstunt »

IMHO, a team really does need to be painted, especially in a league

i look at bloodbowl (and most GW games, really) as an oppurtunity to roleplay - the guys on the field have names, skills - some kind of character - for instance, my krox is scared of the ball, and will do anything to get rid of it (shud he actaully manage to get hold of the thing, normally he swats it away in anger!)...

now, he wouldnt be as much fun as a character if he was a lump of metal on a plain black base.

i think people need to look at the hobby - painting is bread and butter, it is (at least) half the hobby - not wishing to be harsh but if you dont paint, why play with models, why do the hobby?

sorry to rant but i just dont get the "i hate to paint" thing... the more you do it the more you'll enjoy it (simply because with a little effort your models will get better).

"The more new stuff I learn the more old stuff I forget!!!"
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

I have no talent and I hate to paint but I love the minis. I assemble them, do minor conversions and prime them but that's about as far as I can usually get. I do prefer them painted. It's just painful for me to do it myself. I have paid people lots of money to paint stuff for me but that isn't an option right now. Do you want to paint my stuff for me?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: painted

Post by Darkson »

cunningstunt wrote:not wishing to be harsh but if you dont paint, why play with models, why do the hobby?
I do the hobby because I enjoy the competition, the tactics and the face-to-face interaction with my opponent.
cunningstunt wrote:sorry to rant but i just dont get the "i hate to paint" thing... the more you do it the more you'll enjoy it (simply because with a little effort your models will get better).
Might work for you, but the more I paint the more I resent it.

My imagination is more than up to the task of letting in me see aGutter Runner dodging though the line, or a group of Imp. Guard blasting away from cover. I don't need painted lumps of static metal to show me.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with painting, I'd love to do it, but I just think having a painted team is not the be all and end all of gaming.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
cunningstunt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cunningstunt »

"I'm not saying there's anything wrong with painting, I'd love to do it, but I just think having a painted team is not the be all and end all of gaming."

i agree entirely, but my point is that its a major, major aspect of it.

as regards the imagination thing, i also concur. I dont think anyone who gets involved in the hobby can be accused of having no imagination (well, most anyway) but that wasnt my point. i was talking about characters, i just feel that it creates a more characterful, well, character if they're painted.

i still maintain that painting is part and parcel, and i still dont get how, when its so obvious that painting is part of the hobby, people how to dont like it still get into it or stay in it. there are numerous other games out there, ones that allow you all the things you like, that do not require painting. why not focus on these if painting isnt your thing?

again, in mot having a go, but i am trying to understand the attitude - its vastly different to my own, as you may have guessed! :)

Joaquim

Post by Joaquim »

Well.... let's face it: painting it's hard work!!

You can just love BB (and table top wargames) and deslike painting - like me. You ca say I knew painting is part of this hobby... and, trully, I don't hate painting: I only hate to spend so much time and effort to get so little results...

I hate when I see soemone painting and saying «you see it's easy...» and he paints fast and smooth.......... :pissed:

On the other hand... now I'm older (33) and... well, I try don't to push me too hard and keep hapier with what I get (bad painted minis, that is)... and I don't know if I would like someelse to paint my figs...

Because of 2 things: first, I hate to see that people painting fast, achieving good results and thinking why I cann't do it...
Second because when you finish a fig... well, it tastes really well!! Like of you start throwing your head agaisnt a wall, when you stop it should feel good!!...
Actually I finish a fig not when it is ready, nor good, but when I give up trying to improve it....

The only thing I can hope is that GW start making (perhaps less spectacular but) easier to paint minis... because these I must say there are things I just miss....

Joaquim

PS: About the «rule»... I guess it's the same, saying to someone «you don't get any skill until you paint it» or «Can you, please, paint your #&@ figs?».... but I agree that your way has more diplomacy...

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

You don't have to paint a team yourself. There are often painted BB teams available on eBay or other auction sites. 16 painted minis should cost too much.

Ian

Corlus
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Corlus »

I have been playing Blood Bowl for about 6 or 7 years. I would enjoy the game if it were played with checkers and coins. Being forced to paint or even buy particular figures would take away from the enjoyment. I like the way the figs look when they are painted, but when the whistle blows who cares if it is the look of the fig is exact. If you think the game can only be enjoyable when playing against painted figs, that is your choice. But don't penalize me for having enough imagination to not need the reminder of what a skaven looks like.

(not meant to sound like a flame)

cunningstunt
Rookie
Rookie

reality check time

Post by cunningstunt »

ok - time to take a reality check here;

no-one has ever, ever said that a lack of imagination is the problem, look at my previous post. I said im sure we all have enough imagination as things stand.

if i took the opposite point of view, i would suggest that we not bother with combat res in warhammer, and pile models in to create a great big mess...

secondly, if you play in a league, and you cant be bothered to paint 16 models, whats the crack? painting an orc and goblin warhammer army is laborius - painting a few bloodbowl players is.. not.

the quality doesnt have to be eve' metal, either. set yourself a realistic target, and paint one or two figures a week. it might be slow but it is progress - even if you do a coat a night so you have at least one painted, based guy on the field for the next game.

my goal is to paint models to the kind of standard that you see in stores, and with my latest army (dark angels) i have acheived this - being passed off for a store army very recently. but with my first army (chaos warriors) i just wanted them to look half decent - three colours, a black wash and some flock. it took 15-20 minutes to paint a guy in total. if you achieve a team painted to those standards (not saying they looked brilliant, but they were ok) then surely - love or loathe painting - you would have to feel proud.

at this point i would also like to point out - IT IS NOT ABOUT IMAGINATION

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Actually, painting is very therapuetic if you're under a lot of stress. Even if you're crap at it.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Try telling my missus that when I start swearing at small pieces of metal :lol:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

Normally, I wouldn't post an image like this, but I thought it might be relevant.

I was playing a high elf team with primed miniatures.. After a couple of games I got truly annoyed at having the all-white figs running around, so I took two hours and painted up all 16 of them in a standard which is shown on the left. Highly watered down colours and just "slap it on". This resulted in a team which, ofcourse, didn't look exceptional but it did look much better than the just-primed team. I later went back and painted the right one to my "normal" standard.

The reason I say this is that it might be a way for you "I hate painting because it takes too much time" people to manage a painted team anyhow.

Either way, here you go:

-- Christer

FUMBBL - http://fumbbl.com