MUST pick up the ball

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

ScottyBoneman
Super Star
Super Star

Post by ScottyBoneman »

bluetooth wrote:IMO must pick up the ball is a very good rule. Teams with low agility or no sure hands would definetely abuse the rule. Keep it as it is.
Hell, I would!

I often take the risk of trying to push a low skill opponent onto the ball in a tackle zone- preferably down as well.

Reason: ''
Bludbowler
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Bludbowler »

Vitalis wrote: In my opinion the pick up rule is OK.

But the must catch rule isn't!
I think the "must catch" rule is perfect for the following reasons:

1) If you've ever played American football at any level, you've been trained to go after a loose ball. In the split-second it takes to react, whether it's bouncing around or flying straight at you, you don't have time to think about whether or not you're the best person to carry the ball at that particular moment. You just grab it and take it from there. The concept of letting it bounce to someone else would never occur to a player in that situation, therefore, the "must catch" rule actually makes Blood Bowl more "realistic" for a wounded old ex-jock like myself.

2) It's fun to see what coaches do when the "wrong player" gets his hands on the ball. :lol:

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Bludbowler.

Munkey
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Munkey »

IMO the must catch rule is completely unessecary and our league has house ruled it out.

Why spend ages breaking into a cage and knocking the ball free only to have it land on your Blitzer who unluckily catches it and can't get rid of it whilst the opposing players are all bearing down on him.

As mentioned in the previous thread, I might want to re-roll that to fail the roll. Surely that's wrong, realistic or not.

The pickup rule on the other hand i'm completely in favor of, like ScottyBoneman I often try to push an opponent onto the ball to move it to a better position where possible. Even higher skilled players fail quite often without the +1 to pickup and in a tackle zone.

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
duff
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by duff »

We have the kicking option so entrenched now we are experimenting with the "soccer" skill to let a player use the throw-in template to sctter the ball one square with some control over direction. No-one has used it yet so we'll see how it works.

I don't have to be faster than the Ogre, just faster than you!