Should anyond die on a GFI?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

vorner23
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vorner23 »

I think, that dying on a GFI is pretty darn harsh...... unless it happens to you!

The point of BB is obviously to have fun. If the object becomes to win instead, then GFI fatalities aren't funny anymore.

It's pretty funny, and there's always the apothcary to patch up those knock kneed grass divers.

The rule makes slightly more sense if you read it as a coronary, on astrogranite (down with grass!) with a dodgy shoulder spike that ricochets into your chorotid artery!

Or something like that. (Thats MY opinion before everyone gets all offended.)

Reason: ''
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

He, he... frisbee. That's rich. Sounds like it can be brutal though. Is it full contact?

Oh. Dying on a GFI doesn't bother me a bit, even if it is always my player that does it. In fact, I think I'm the only one around here that fails the darn things.

Have fun!
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Ultimate frisbee is a great sport. I only stopped playing when people here got too serious and had a defensive system that you had to stick with and that didn't fit my style (man to man when i was better at playing zone).

The best description one can give is that it's a mix of football (with end zone), basketball (you can't walk but you can turn on one foot, it's fast-paced and you only have 10 seconds to throw) and soccer (same field size).

It's supposed to be non-contact, but you can get hurt pretty bad when you're jumping for the thing at the same time as the opposing player and you get a mid-air collision.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Sounds a lot like netball to me! :P

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Rune
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Should anyond die on a GFI?

Post by Rune »

Torg wrote:I have always thought it a little strange that you could fall down and break your neck on a GFI.
And I have always thought it strange that holding a bomb that goes off is far less dangerous than being knocked down by a mummy, that you can only pass/foul/blitz once per turn, that you can be knocked out by a running chainsaw, etc... ;)

My point is: Blood Bowl is not supposed to be an exact simulation of real life. It's supposed to be a good game of fantasy football, and that rule is IMHO a good rule. It makes go for its a bit more risky and adds more nerve to the game.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Well said. :D

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Why are we getting back into this again? The rule will never be changed, but I think it's a cheezy way to die!

GO STAMPEDERS!
SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

We rules that you couldn't die on a GFI. But everything else can happen. Those following MLB activities can remeber Moises Alou's injury a couple of years ago or more recently, the Pirates' catcher whom I don't recall the name at the moment... OUCH! They we're both "going for it" and got most seriously injured ! I think both of them have Niggling injuries !

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
Munkey
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Munkey »

Seems to me that if you can cause yourself a serious injury then it's only a small step to death, a slight bit more speed and that broken neck is now a fatal broken neck - see you at the funeral :evil:

As far as the rules go I don't see the need to change this, it just adds an extra layer of complexity that people have to remember (and will likely forget in the heat of the game) and more words to argue about in the rules :wink:

As someone has already said far more eloquently above the bloodbowl rules are hardly an accurate simulation of real life so we shouldn't worry too much about reality.

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Die! Die already. This is back near the top?!? I like Roy's idea, if you fail a GFI you automatically die, unless you have an apothecary, then it's a TD.

DIE

Have fun!
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

This thread seems to become a little popular now and again with newbies posting their thoughts. Most people tend to be in the die camp, which is ok. The main reason I started this thread was that I think that GFIs have changed from 2ed to 3ed and really don't seem to have that pushing yourself to the limit factor anymore. In 3ed, and subsequent variations, GFI happens after normal move and you can dodge while GFIing. I really liked the way it was done in the 2ed. You had normal movement and then there was a sprint value of + # of estra spaces player could sprint after normal move. This had to be in a straight line and no dodging allowed while sprinting. Only after doing full sprint could you GFI. This really gave the impression that the player was pushing it to the limit and giving it all he could to make those extra yards (paces). If he fell and died, it didn't seem out of place (especially when the pitch was made of astrogranite). Anyway, though the 3ed and later changes. have streamlined the game and have made it better, I think there may have been a bit too much simplification and some things seem to be a bit weaker than they used to be. Anyway, just my opinion.

GO STAMPEDERS!
MattiasF

Post by MattiasF »

longfang wrote:How else are one turn scoring Gutter Runners going to die?
Which reminds me of my most stupid move ever. My GR was all alone, with the ball, a few squares from a TD. Stupid as I am, I wanted to show off. I ran a in a circle, before going for the TD. Miscalulated the moves, and had to do a GFI. Failure, and death was the penalty at hand! :roll:

Still won the match, but sometimes I feel the urge to spank myself for being sooo stupid.

If death on GFI was removed, I would not have this pleasure today :D

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Nnow that's awesome! Thanks for sharing that with me.

Have fun!
Sputnik
Loretta

Post by Sputnik »

Torg wrote:
Most people tend to be in the die camp, which is ok
You don't like many people, do you?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the rule that you can die on a GFI, but I HAVE TO INSIST THAT I DON'T TEND TO BE IN THE DIE CAMP!!!! :pissed:
:wink: :lol:

There is still so much left to do and I am still young
:o ( I know I look older than many people will ever get :lol: :lol: )

Sputnik

VampyrSoul
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Should anyond die on a GFI?

Post by VampyrSoul »

Torg wrote:I have always thought it a little strange that you could fall down and break your neck on a GFI. I can see the falling down when you try to push yourself to go farther, but dying as a result seems a bit much. I would suggest that there be a -1 to the cas roll when inj on GFIs and dodge failures. I think the only deaths should result from blocks, fowls, and crowd injuries. Seems to make more sense.
It's call blood clots, punctured lungs, punctured heart... anything could happen to a player when he/she falls down. Yes, they should be able to die!!!!

I am not that mean .... I am just plain evil.