What if you couldn't buy team re-rolls?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

neoliminal wrote: This one was actually a way to shorten the tournament game times... if you don't have RR's then the game is shorter. (shorter games have always been my goal.)
Less rerolls = shorter games. Agreed.

An idea which doesn't ban RR's altogether:

The amount of TRR's available to the match = TRR's - opponents TRR's (min of 0, naturally).

Now the team with more RR's has some, but not too many available, and the other team has none. Certainly reduces the time as there are certainly less rerolls around, but doesn't remove the management aspect of having rerolls.
handicap could perhaps be factored in too...

Personally, I don't like this rule either, but just thought I'd share it with you.

Reason: ''
[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

And one more thing about the original question:

Playing would become a lot more conservative! Nobody would attempt anything too difficult unless forced to, and such incidents are always fun - whether they fail or succeed. When you have a reroll for that 5+ roll, you will be lot more tempted to try it.

As a result, for example, AG2 players would hardly attempt anything! With TRR's you can go for that occasional pick-up, dodge or something like that with AG2 players, but if you don't have a reroll, you wouldn't do that too often.

And this, IMO, is definitely a Bad Thing(tm).

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

The change from 3rd Ed to 4th ed/LRB already removed a lot of scope for skillful and innovative play. Fewer rerolls would simply make for either more conservative play, or games that rely more on lucky dice rolls than skill.

Neither I think is good for the game.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Marcus wrote:The change from 3rd Ed to 4th ed/LRB already removed a lot of scope for skillful and innovative play.
What changes in particular do you mean? The change to hand-offs?

SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

Hi guys !

I don't think removing the TRR's would be good for the game. I think that team with higher AG would get an unfair advantage.

Then you could say "what about teams with a lot of skills, like Dwarves or Chaos Dwarves?". Block doesn't help you score a TD... And the game is won with TD's, not casualties.

Why not put a set price on TRR's and let it stay the same ? What if TRR's cost 100K, whichever team you're playing, and still cost 100K during a season. You would have teams starting with less, but still can purchase some. Wouldn't it make it possible, Neo, to reach one of your goals (shorter games) like that, but still let people who like TRR's have the opportunity to buy some ?

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
woodmeister
Experienced
Experienced

Ummm

Post by woodmeister »

I agree that RRs are a useful way of reducing the sometimes random cruelness of dice. Marcus makes an important point about making people playing more conservatively without them. Seeing an Ogre launch his halfling teammate with the ball halfway down the pitch, using a RR to ensure he lands on his feet, thereby allowing him to run in for a touchdown would probably be a thing of the past without RRs. That's The kind of play the mad, mad world of BB is all about. :D

neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

I realized today that with the new winnings table, people are playing with less Re-Rolls. Has anyone else noticed that games are shorter now than they were in 3rd edition? (I have.)

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

I have been playing with more rerolls but thats cause i don't spend money on star players now so i can spare the cash for rerolls instead ;]

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

truth be told, i'm buying more rerolls at startup than ever before... i always need all the rr's i can get... i am the unluckiest coach in the game afterall... and now that i have diminished potential to get them later, i'm making some more drastic decisions at startup... like, starting teams with 11 linemen and the most rr's i can afford because players are cheaper than rerolls...

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

I don't like the idea too much either.
How about a Team ReRoll cap at (say) 4 - or even 3.
Hey, it would even make the leader trait more useful :)

SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

Good thinking Plasmoid ! I like that ! Maximum 4 rr and Leader + a couple of Pro's, sounds great !

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Mestari wrote:
Marcus wrote:The change from 3rd Ed to 4th ed/LRB already removed a lot of scope for skillful and innovative play.
What changes in particular do you mean? The change to hand-offs?
I think he means the addition of traits and appearance fees/aging, which limit player growth. I disagree however, and believe that it increases skillful and innovative play, instead of boringly counting on your star player for every play.

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

neoliminal wrote:I realized today that with the new winnings table, people are playing with less Re-Rolls. Has anyone else noticed that games are shorter now than they were in 3rd edition? (I have.)
On the contrary. People in my league are now starting with more rerolls, because they can't get them at normal price using cards anymore.

Personally, i always maxed out on TRR from the start (usually start with 4 or 5), so this hasn't changed anything for me.

gallowin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gallowin »

The Dark Elf coach in our league had a bad start to the season. It was a 'new team' season so despite being some games behind everyone, we let him reset his team. His new Dark elf team featured no re-rolls. Mentally, he learned to accept whatever roll came up and not dwell. His style of play changed to. There weren't any needless hitting when things needed to get done. One game he walked away with a 3-0 WIN.

Without re-rolls however, I see certain skills not being taken as often as everyone would be going after block, dodge, pass, catch, & pro for their players and the game would be less dramatic as you'd see more conservative play.

"A twist of the wrist, a slip of the blade, and your posturing is ended"