Neoliminal's Incremental Go For Its

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

The only drawback is when the receiving team coughs up the ball, after which they intentionally try to cause a turnover to end the game :)

Oh, and of course the game will get even LONGER...

-Chet

Reason: ''
Toby

Post by Toby »

Yes. It should be something like the extra time in a soccer erm football game. 2-3 maybe 4 minutes more, one or two more desperate shots before its all over and the fat lady sings :D

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Hmm.. Not quite how I read it.. I thought he meant that the game ends if the _attacking_ player fails something.. The defending team could fail all they want without the game ending... Sort of like a last desperate attempt at stopping the drive.
But my point is what if:
Team A has ball
Team B needs a TD to take the game to OT.

Team B tries to desperately recover the ball from Team A to be able to score before the game ends. If there is a mention of a TO causing the game to end, then Team A would be constantly trying to cause a TO for themselves in order to end the game.

I think the 1-3 roll ends the game -solution is a much more elegant one.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Actually Mestari ...

This could be easily simulated by saying that the moving team can intentionally ground the ball in this extra time to end the match.

In Pro Football, near the end of the game, its not uncommon for the offense to just hike and fall on top of the ball if they are leading to run the clock out and win without risking a turnover.

This would do the same thing.

Galak

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Just for the record, because I'm not a big soccer fan like so many non-Americans...but does "extra time" come into play only at the end of a soccer game, or does it come into play at the end of both halves? I'm pretty sure it's 45 minutes til halftime and extra time at the end of the game if needed, but I'd like clarification.

Thanks.

-Chet

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

OK Each half is 45 mins....

At the end of each half is Injury time. This is some added time (not Extra Time) which the referee makes up based on time wasting, injuries etc (normally 1 to 5 mins).

If the game is tied at full time then it is normally over. However, in some Cup games, there is Extra Time. At the moment, this is 2 halves with 15 mins each (plus injury time) ;). However, most competitions now have the Golden Goal which means the Extra Time stops once the first goal has been scored. If it is still a tie at the end of Extra Time, then normally there are penalties to decide the winner.

There, that clear?

Dave

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

More or less, yeah ;)

See, I think "extra time" at the end of the game might be pretty cool to try out. But if it happens at the end of each half, I think it could get rather lengthy.

Hey, I think I'll try it this season and see what happens.

-Chet

Toby

Post by Toby »

A soccer game has "running time" not "only play time"
That means, the clock is not stopped when the play is stopped.
The half lasts 45 minutes + a couple of minutes depending on the referee.

As to Bloodbowl:

We need to define who is the "attacking" team...

What about ball posession ?

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Galak: I understand your view, but I would prefer it to be so that if the team which is leading has the ball, they couldn't simply end the game, and the other team could try (as long as the "injury time" lasts) to recover the ball and score.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

I think you could work this into the game without worrying about who the "attacking team" is, or who is leading, etc.

"After the half ends, roll a D6. On a roll of 1-3, the game ends as normal. On a roll of 4 or more, however, the game is in "extra time." Each side takes one more turn, after which you should roll the D6 again, with the effects described above."

Two possible tweaks:

1. The half ends immediately as soon as one side scores.

2. For any D6 roll after the first, the game continues only on a roll of 6.

The first rule is self-explanatory. The second keeps the game to one extra turn half the time, but two extra turns is very unlikely. Three? Probably doesn't happen, although it would happen every four games without that rule!

I think that could add some unpredictably without making the game significantly longer. Each game would last an average of 1 extra turn with the "on a 6" rule tacked on.

Regardless, this looks like fun! I'm going to try it out locally and I'll let you know how it goes.

-Chet

Furelli
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Furelli »

You could do it as a 4+ for the first additional turn, 5+ for the next and 6+ for the following turns - this would then mimic the incremental gfis which I love the idea of.

Furelli.

Am I living in a box? Am I living in a cardboard box?
Toby

Post by Toby »

I think "Injury Time" (the english expression for the thing in footsoccerball) fits even better to Blood Bowl than the german expression "Extra Time" (Nachspielzeit).

Also Chet: :?:

Any Coach may ask for "injury time"... roll a D6; On a roll of 1+2+3 the game ends. On a roll 4+5 the referee anounces 1 more Turn Injury Time - on a roll of 6 Injury time lasts 2 Turns !

Because of Playing Time i think "Injury/Extra Time" should only be availiable after the second Half...

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

That's good, too, although I'd drop the bit about "may ask." One coach is always going to want the extra time, so it's a given that one of them will ask. Just force the roll and be done with it.

-Chet

Toby

Post by Toby »

Acerak wrote:That's good, too, although I'd drop the bit about "may ask." One coach is always going to want the extra time, so it's a given that one of them will ask. Just force the roll and be done with it.

-Chet
Dont you think that when the score is 4:0 and you roll a 6 you will have to play 2 "Dead Turns" ?

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Ok hope i haven't missed a few posts but here goes.

For each half whichever team takes the final turn of the half, the half only ends when that team suffers a turnover, or the ball is knocked out of the ball carriers hands by the opposition. A stipulation of this also must be that the team taking the last turn is actually in possession of the ball ( Carrying it ) at the end of the eighth turn to be allowed to continue.

The simulation being the half or play only ends when the ball is dead.

This would benefit only the team going last in each turn, on the premise that the team who moved first in the half had their chances to score and a continuation from there 8th turn would be an un-neccessary increase, and they would get the benefit in the 2nd Half.

My belief is that this in itself would only allow 1 or 2 turns more on average as many turns actually end in a turnover, and of course at that stage how many re-rolls will be left.

Alternatively or in addition only two players can actually make an action/move for each turn, therefore simulating the franctic risky extra time period.

The only concern about the whole thing about extra time is of course how much longer any system will make the game go on for