Neoliminal's Incremental Go For Its

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Trambi
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Trambi »

Acerak I like your idea.
And combinated with the Mc Beth's "two players in the move" it could be really cool. It requires some test.

Reason: ''
Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Chet is getting really close already. I'm going to test the following version. I changed the 6 to 5 in the second tweak - 5+ is random enough, 6 is simply too much, IMO.

"After the half ends, roll a D6. On a roll of 1-3, the game ends as normal. On a roll of 4 or more, however, the game is in "extra time." Each side takes one more turn, after which you should roll the D6 again, with the effects described above.
In addition:
1. The half ends immediately as soon as one side scores.
2. For any D6 roll after the first, the game continues only on a roll of 5."

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi guys,
I like where this is going, but I'm a bit concerned about the length of the matches. I think I've got a pretty good alternative solution.

What we're really trying to do is make sure that no half ends with a 1 turn drive. The fact that this makes the "grind and refuse to score" tactic less appealing is just a fortunate side effect. :)

As long as end drives are 2-turn, then everybody should have a fair shot at a TD. Sure, slow teams like dwarfs may be hard pressed - but it isn't impossible.

So here's my idea:
Ever wonder why so much seems to happen in the dying seconds of the match?

*Whenever a team scores, and the opposing teams turn marker is exactly on turn 7, extra time kicks in. This means that the half has 9 turns.

*Once extra time has kicked in for the half, the match ends either at the end of the 9th turn (for both teams), or when a touchdown is scored - unless that touchdown would also cause extra time to kick in. (Which is only possible if the team has a 1-turn-scorer).

That's it :D

In case you are concerned that this will make matches longer, I suggest 2 ways of dealing with this:
1) Extra time is always frantic. For any 9th turn, the timer should be set to just 2 minutes.

or (more radical)
2) BB halfs are reduced to 7 turns. Extra time kicks in with a turn marker on 6th turn. In effect, this will make the 8th "square" on the turn track the "extra time square".

Martin :)

Toby

Post by Toby »

We should discuss Extra Time in a seperate topic and see how far the rule is developed.

I am 100% for the Maximum of only 1 Extra Turn;
Turn 8 should be the Extra Turn !

Extra Time = Turn 8

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

plasmoid wrote:*Whenever a team scores, and the opposing teams turn marker is exactly on turn 7, extra time kicks in. This means that the half has 9 turns.
Why not change this so that if you receive a kick-off immediately prior to your 8th turn you play an extra turn?

This guarantees 2 turns to score, but ensures there is only 1 chance to do so per half.

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Too much with the moving the goalposts. It's 16 turns each. That's where the line is drawn. Yes this will have in-game effects like loose turns at the end. Most sports do anyway.

You could chase the needle on this forever but I don't think it'd get you very far.

For the record I like 1 turn TD chances, gfis and loose turns exactly how they are.

Marcus

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I'm with the muppet.
Whats wrong with the 16 turns as is?
I can't see any ideas I would want to use here.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Toby

Post by Toby »

If it was more like on a roll of 3-6 turn 8 is NOT played it would slightly speed up the game and be extra time as well....

Furelli
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Furelli »

Back to the incremental gfi's. If we don't like 2+, 3+, ... as this makes the second gfi harder then how about 2+, 2+, 4+, 4+, 6+, 6+, 6+, ... with sprint giving +2 to any one gfi roll.

Furelli.

Am I living in a box? Am I living in a cardboard box?
Toby

Post by Toby »

Actually when you look at the propabilities i posted above, Neo's rule is absolutely ok.

Is just a matter of "feeling".

neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

Furelli wrote:Back to the incremental gfi's. If we don't like 2+, 3+, ... as this makes the second gfi harder then how about 2+, 2+, 4+, 4+, 6+, 6+, 6+, ... with sprint giving +2 to any one gfi roll.

Furelli.
Yeah, let's keep this thread focused on the pGFI.

That's an interesting idea Furelli. We haven't seen a significant problem with the second GFI. Either you need to make it or you don't.

Ask the people who have actually played with the rule how it feels and I think you'll get a clear view that 2+, 3+, 4+... is fine. The speculations on the effect of this rule have run the full spectrum, from making Dwarves too powerful to destroying the Skaven's advantage. After playing this rule for almost a full year I can say that the rule is better and that it isn't the drastic change that it's detractors would have you believe.

Try a game of it and you'll see for yourself.

Pink Horror
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pink Horror »

Well, neo, I played only half an e-mail game against you and the rule gave you a bad turnover because of a 3+ GFI and a casualty because of one of those endzone sprints that somehow make the last turn worthwhile for you (I think those sprints are as worthless as extra blocks). Granted, that's not a lot of playtesting, but I'm one of the people who have actually played with the rule and I didn't like how it felt.

PGFI is one of things that some people know they won't like without trying. For example, I've never tried homosexual sex, and I don't think I have to. Sure, most of the people who tried it probably enjoyed it, but that doesn't mean it should be the standard way to have sex.

Pink Horror

neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

Pink Horror wrote:Well, neo, I played only half an e-mail game against you and the rule gave you a bad turnover because of a 3+ GFI and a casualty because of one of those endzone sprints that somehow make the last turn worthwhile for you (I think those sprints are as worthless as extra blocks). Granted, that's not a lot of playtesting, but I'm one of the people who have actually played with the rule and I didn't like how it felt.
I don't remember, did you even try to pGFI? Or did you just watch me do it twice?

One thing I did notice is that PBEM doesn't convey the same feeling as Face to Face does. There's a great tension when someone is pGFI'ing that doesn't translate when you get the whole turn as a lump sum. (which I mentioned to you.)

As for the homosexual sex... I think that has less to do with pGFI than it does your own perverted mind. ;-)

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Has this idea gone any futher? Has it been playtested futher? I'd be interested to know as I am starting a PBeM team and working out the conversions for a TT skaven team.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

It has been tested

Post by Cervidal »

We've used it in the OBL since the moment JKL came up with it.

I've only ever seen it lead to one touchdown that shouldn't've normally happened. I scored it with a skink to end a half, at 3 3+ dodges (he had Tacklers, too), 2+, 3+, 4+, 5+, 6+, and I failed the 2+ and had to use my Sure Feet reroll then.

Aside from that one moment where JKL, my poor opponent at the time, nearly throttled me, there has not been a dramatic increase in scoring because or the rule (as far as I've seen) and one coach, a rather successful Skaven player, even noted that it actually makes it MORE difficult to one turn score, forcing MA10 Gutter runners to usually to 2+, 3+, 4+ on the GFI's, rather than 2+, 2+, 2+.

Personally, I actually use fewer GFIs because the second one is a 3+, a much bigger risk. I've had to play more conservatively on defense because I don't want to have to start depending on 3+ rolls.