Painted miniatures rule

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Having seen Ian's Orcs on the field...
No, they're not spectacular, but they're not "sh#t" either. You don't have to be talented to have a go..
No reference to ian here, but any team that somebody has made the effort to slap a bit of paint on is preferable to bare/metal plastic, and anybody who's made the effort despite hating painting and/or being crap at it deserves commendation in my book, and I wouldn't dream of being rude about it, publically or privately.
If you enter a league where the majority play with painted teams, make the effort.
If no one in your league cares, no problem. It's as much about making an effort to respect/fit in with your particular gaming group as anything else.

Reason: ''

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

I just wish someone else would get on and paint one of the teams in our league. :roll:

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

dw's right... i think there's far more to be said for the efforts of someone who struggles to get something down, yet perceveres, than there is for those who are able to turn out "impressive" results with the ease that is so envied...

iron chef kosher
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Lucien Swift wrote:and four pages later i still don't understand why some people think it's so damn hard to just paint 16 stinking miniatures in a mediocre fashion...

16!

a blind monkey with one arm and no talent can do that in one night for pete's sake!
That's not the point at all. Writing down your name ten thousand times on a couple sheets of paper is not hard at all. But if you had to do that in order to play Blood Bowl, would you still play? And would the game be as popular as it is now?

Just because you like to play Blood Bowl doesn't mean that you like to paint. You need to dissociate the two, because they're not one and the same.

MattiasF

Post by MattiasF »

Your right, but not. Playing BB is not painting. Painted miniatures are not totally essential to the game. But close. With this line of reasoning, why use minitures at all?

"Hey, theres _symbols_ on my coins. You want me to paint them?"

I say that painted figures is the best way to enhance the gaming experiance. Unless you opponent is naked, then I would say clothes is the way to go. Other then that... paint, definitely.

Why GW mixes up a good game with painting minitures I do not know. The could supply the models painted to gain a greater audiance. (It can be done! Mage Knights are sold painted.) But GW doesn't, and complaining about it is not going to help.

Play with your unpainted models (or coins as I am going to call them from here on). But I will try to find a opponent that rather want to play in a good looking way.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

MattiasF wrote:But I will try to find a opponent that rather want to play in a good looking way.
Do that, but lose two thirds (i'm being modest here, it's more like 90% from my experience) of the potential opponents. Your loss, not mine.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Deathwing wrote:Having seen Ian's Orcs on the field...
No, they're not spectacular, but they're not "sh#t" either.
Ta! That's the best compliment my painting has ever received (well apart from the wife who had never seen a painted mini before :wink: ).

Anyway I thought the original point of the thread was to discuss ways to encourage coaches to paint their teams. A lot of leagues suffer from painting apathy and what are the possible solutions?

I don't think many leagues play a "must be painted to play" policy - its just a question of how do you gently nudge or bulldozer coaches into painting.

Ian

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

your experience says people don't paint, my experience says that even a trivial reward for painting increases the number opf painted teams...

and i'll be quite honest with you, anyone too lazy to paint a dozen miniatures deserves to be no-rewarded (or punished in your reasoning).

iron chef kosher
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

And i'm telling you that in my experience, such a rule decreases the number of coaches by about 80%. In my league, 90% of the coaches don't even own a single miniature. Asking them to paint would be pretty silly.

Munkey
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Munkey »

Lucien wrote:
Lucien Swift wrote:my experience says that even a trivial reward for painting increases the number of painted teams...
I would agree that a [bh]trivial reward[/b] (or maybe a very small punishment) would be good for encouraging painting and rewarding those who do bother, but too big an adjustment upsets the game balance a little and some people really don't want to paint.

I wouldn't actually want to discourage anyone from playing.

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Zombie wrote:And i'm telling you that in my experience, such a rule decreases the number of coaches by about 80%. In my league, 90% of the coaches don't even own a single miniature. Asking them to paint would be pretty silly.
I agree that if you don't own the mini's then its pretty silly to have a rule about painting them.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Maedhros
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Maedhros »

Our new league is considering a number of different house rules rto encourage painting and accurate models.

These include-

1) Pointing and making fun of players without painted models

2) The player with the most painted figures recieves a number of pieces of Bazooka Joe gum from his opponent equal to the difference in number of painted figures

3) Allowing opposing coaches to name all miniatures that are unpainted

We think option number 3 will work best, while it doesn't affect gameplay who wants to play with a team named after the members of N'SYNC? Talk about motivation to paint.

For the record I plan on playing an Orc team made up of the plastic guys included in the game and a couple Gorka Morka guys laying around. My painting plans involve magic markers and liberal amounts of mustard and ketchup.

Member of the Hamilton Blood Bowl League - www.geocities.com/hbloodbowl
Relborn
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Relborn »

Bazooka Joe gums are still sold ??? *nostalgic-button-on* :smoking: