B-r-e-t-t-o-n-i-a-n-s, really why not?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Bretts, really why not?

They don't fit into bloodbowl
14%
They would be too close to a pre-existing team
19%
I hate bretts
8%
They don't fit fluff wise
12%
I wouldn't mind a brett team if it was well designed.
47%

Total votes: 186

artjones123
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Plasmoid's Poncy Ponces wearing to much armour, really w

Post by artjones123 »

We just have to edit our posts :wink:

The name isn't that important. I call them Albion Wanderers. I hope it is not censored :)

Reason: ''
rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

it seems to me that the majority of the people who want these ponces in BB are Warhammer fantasty Battles itdoesn'tmatterhowmanttroopsyouhaveinyourarmymyheroissuperbadandcouldkillyouwithatwitchofhisnutsackashehassomuchmagicweaponsandarmourcostme10000000pointsandisbendingalltherulesofthegametotheextreme (i may be wrong as i've not played the game for at least 7 years) fanboys

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
artjones123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by artjones123 »

???? I've never played WFB. I've played BB a lot. K_nights were in 1st ed. They had their own team with their own rules. They are a part of BB history.

It seems that bxrxextxoxnxixaxn is the most popular non official team today. A lot of people will be interested by a good roster. So discussion about it is a good thing.

rodders
Legend
Legend

Re: B-r-e-t-t-o-n-i-a-n-s, really why not?

Post by rodders »

on your logic i may resurect troglodytes then

NAF RTO southern UK
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

rodders wrote:on your logic i may resurect troglodytes then
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

burgun824 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

???? Are troglodytes a old team or are you making a joke about using mad science to resurect the ancient creatures?

artjones123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by artjones123 »

Well, Troglodytes are now called Kroxigor. So they have been resurected a long time ago...

rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

cool then i can have kroxigor throwers linemen defense and catchers and a mino, ogre and trollas troglodytes were on the original chaos allstars team

oh and if we're gonna go back to 1st ed i guess we'll be ditching block dice then....

NAF RTO southern UK
rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

arthurinkpen - 1st ed was wildly different from the game we have today we didn't even have player models for a while just cards you got in white dwarf and stuck into bases then someone came up with 16 miniatures (one for each race)

NAF RTO southern UK
artjones123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by artjones123 »

rodders wrote:cool then i can have kroxigor throwers linemen defense and catchers and a mino, ogre and trollas troglodytes were on the original chaos allstars team

oh and if we're gonna go back to 1st ed i guess we'll be ditching block dice then....
If that's what you really want, do it, I don't care ;)

And I don't want to ressurect anything. I just want to find the best possible roster for the Bret-albion wanderer team. I don't care if it becomes official or anything. I want to play them because they are a part of BB history and because I think they are fun.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Some people need to get a sense of humour.

I'm putting my support behind the Mega-City Judges and Fatties team, if we're going 1st ed.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Yeh go MC1!!

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Krulfang
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Krulfang »

The description of Brets in WFB is pretty off. Brets are in bad need of an update, and with new common magical items, they are well behind several teams in terms of awesome individual characters. Trust me, I play WFB competitively, and Brets are fairly bottom barrel, and have been for a while. Some generals still make them play well, but it isn't easy. Also, I've seen Bret super characters off with blocks of infantry many a time. Also, I don't think the roster reflects the attitude rodders mentions of having single super-models override numbers.

The way I see it, is a group of people have taken the time to make a good, balanced, playtested team, and people are hung up on the name. This is silly, especially the whole "Nobleman" idea. If its a matter of a name not being what you want it to be, why don't people proxy the nicely playtested Bret team as what they want it to be named as? From hearing all the different ideas of how to proxy Brets from other teams, there doesn't seem to be much opposition to this idea.

I just am tired of how childish this is becoming. I mean, from putting the full name of the team as a no-go in the profanity censor to just "well, if you do that, can I do this!?!?!" I am reminded of the playground in the 2nd grade. If you want something to be legal in this game (even a Krox team. I figure if we have Ogres, why not house rule/develop a Krox team?) then just take the effort and do what plasmoid has done with the Brets. Playtest them. Develop them. Spend time crafting a good team that is neither overpowered or underpowered (unless you want them to be underpowered in the style of halflings). You cannot deny that a lot of time and effort has gone in to trying to make the Bret team a good fit into the current rules. Either way, some of the shameless opposition to the Brets is smelling rank to me, and shows a streak of bad sportsmanship. This is moving beyond debate into nasty-name-calling, which I would like to stop on both ends. Let's be civilized, revoke the stupid profanity censor, and be reasonable people. Please.

A "sense of humor" as it has been called, is at others expense. Nobody likes that when it happens to them. The time and effort plasmoid and his playtesters have put into the Bret team are being mocked, and it is unreasonable to ask them to "get over it". This is starting to remind me of what GW did to a hard working individual...

There are some legitimate reasons to oppose a Bret team, I'm sure. However, I'm just hearing the same "Brets suck!" over and over again from the same few people. So far, no real, legitimate opposition has surfaced, and if people follow the link in plasmoid's signature, they would see he has answers to the most common responses. Now, I would love to see counter arguments to the points he raises on his page, and get genuine discussion going here as to the pros vs cons of having Brets added in as a team. I'm talking Pact/Slann/Underworld status.

The way I see it, diverstiy of options is what makes BB such a good game. Each team is different, and there are also different ways to play each team, giving coaches countless options on how to develop the exact team they want. The question is: would an additional team add or subtract from the overall BB experience of coaches playing today?

Keepin' it Green.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Krulfang wrote:There are some legitimate reasons to oppose a Bret team, I'm sure. However, I'm just hearing the same "Brets suck!" over and over again from the same few people. So far, no real, legitimate opposition has surfaced,
Maybe because Brett teams get brought up again and again*, despite the majority of posters (here at least) not wanting them? Legitimate opposition has been given time and time and time and...
This is hardly the first time the teams been pushed, and as I posted earlier, Arthur asked "Why not?", so those that want them shouldn't be "hounding" people that give replies to that.

(*And I note that, to his credit, it isn't Plasmoid starting thread after thread anymore)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Krulfang
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Krulfang »

True, Brets are brought up a lot... but as I said, I haven't seen legitimate opposition, and you didn't mention the triviality of the profanity censor. Also, the over 40% (based on this poll) of people liking a team is significant. That may not be a majority, but 40% is a tremendous amount of people that want the team to exist. I doubt all 24 of the current teams have that much support.

Also, it being brought up multiple times is a method of showing that a lot of people genuinely care. Perhaps if there was good reason for them to stop posting more threads, they would stop, but there have been very few thought out arguments against Brets.

If you want the "hounding" to stop, ridicule is the worst way of going about it. Let's get some serious, pro vs con discussion going. Plasmoid's work is still being insulted baselessly, and that doesn't sit well with me. I mean, just look at the profanity censor! That is a direct attack on plasmoid and all the effort he has done.

In addition, you say legitimate opposition has been raise time and time again, but plasmoid debunks all of the opposition I've heard if you just follow his link and read it. He provides fluff, fits them into the BB world, and distinguishes them nicely from other teams.

Keepin' it Green.