Attempting to put together an Expanded Kick-Off table.

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Attempting to put together an Expanded Kick-Off table.

Post by neoliminal »

I'm working up an expanded kick-off table. I'd love to get some feedback both on the entries I've made and some ideas on filling in the holes left. 17 of these results are straight from the existing table.

Expanded Kick-Off Table
D66

11 Riot: The game is held up by a riot. Roll a dice, and each team moves their Turn counter this many spaces along the Turn track. If this takes the number of turns to 8 or more for both teams, then the half ends.

12 Get the Ref! Each coach rolls two dice and adds their team’s fan factor to the score the highscorer’s fans decide the referee has been bought and exact vengeance! His replacement is so intimidated that for the rest of the half he will not award penalties against the team whose fans got his predecessor, even if he spots them making a foul. If the score is tied, both teams’ fans get the ref and the replacement will not award penalties against either team!

13 Perfect Defence: The kicking team’s coach may reorganise his players – in other words he can set them up again. The receiving team must remain in the set-up chosen by their coach.

14 Cheering Fans: Each coach rolls a dice and adds their team’s fan factor and their number of cheerleaders to the score. Re-roll any ties. The side with the highest score is inspired by their fans cheering and gets an extra re-roll this half.

15 Bad Kick: The ball scatters a number of squares equal to the roll of two dice on the kick-off, instead of only one dice.

16 Changing Weather: Make a new roll on the Weather table.

21 The Ref Takes Pity: The ref will not call fouls on the team who is losing the game. If the score is currently tied, then ignore this result.

22 Anticipating the Snap: Any defensive playing who can legally make a Block Action may do so. This is a free action and can not cause a turnover.

23 Loud Fans: Each coach rolls a dice and adds their team’s fan factor and their number of cheerleaders to the score. Re-roll any ties. The side with the lowest score is having a hard time communicating over the shouting of the opposing fans. As a result they may not use Team ReRolls for this drive.

24 Delay of Game: The kicking team get's called for Delay of Game. Receiving team automatically gets Ball In Hand.

25 Changing Weather: Make a new roll on the Weather table.

26 Misreading the Offense. The kicking team has misread the offense and thinks it's going deep. Any player who is not on the line of scrimage moves 1d6 spaces in the direction of the endzone.

31 Onsides Kick: The kicking team may place the ball on any of the receiving teams squares that are adjacent to the Line of Scrimage. The ball will bounce as normal. If the ball goes out of bounds, it is a touchback, however if the ball ends up bouncing onto the kicking teams half, it is not a touchback.

32 Booing Fans: Each coach rolls a dice and adds their team’s fan factor and their number of cheerleaders to the score. Re-roll any ties. The side with the lowest score is shamed by their fans booing and loses a re-roll this half.

34 Changing Weather: Make a new roll on the Weather table.

42 Great Kick! Kicking Team may put the ball anywhere on the recieving half of the pitch, without needing to roll scatter or bounce the ball.

43 Changing Weather: Make a new roll on the Weather table.

44 Quick Snap! The offense start their drive a fraction before the defence are ready, catching the kicking team flat-footed. All of the players on the receiving team are allowed to move one square. This is a free move and may be made into any adjacent empty square, ignoring tackle zones. It may be used to enter the opposing half of the field

45 Brilliant Coaching: Each coach rolls a dice and adds the number of assistant coaches in their team to the score. Re-roll any ties. The side with the highest score gets an extra re-roll this half thanks to the brilliant training provided by the coaching staff.

52 Changing Weather: Make a new roll on the Weather table.

53 Off Sides: The offense has lured the defense off-sides, and the Ref calls D3 random kicking team players on the Line of Scrimage for the infraction and they are immediately moved to the reserves box. These players can take place in the next drive.

55 Full Blitz! The kicking team gets a bonus team turn and may move before the receiving team. The bonus turn does not count against the kicking team’s turn limit for the half, so their coach does not have to move the Turn marker along a space, and he cannot be called for illegal procedure for failing to move the Turn marker.

56 Throw a Rock: Each coach rolls two dice and adds their team’s fan factor to the score; the high scorer’s fans are the ones that threw the rock. A tie means that both teams are affected. Decide randomly which player in the other team was hit (only players on the field are eligible) and roll for the effects of the injury straight away. No Armour roll is required.

61 Changing Weather: Make a new roll on the Weather table.

62 Man in Motion: The Offense may move two players their full movement allowance. These are free moves and ignore tackle zones. The players may not enter the opposing side of the pitch, but may have more than two players in the wide zone after finishing their move.

64 Corner Blitz! The kicking team gets up to four bonus Blitz Actions and may move before the receiving team. These actions can only be taken by players who start in the wide zone. The bonus actions do not count against the kicking team’s turn limit for the half, so their coach does not have to move the Turn marker along a space, and he cannot be called for illegal procedure for failing to move the Turn marker.

66 Pitch Invasion Each coach rolls two dice and adds their side’s fan factor to the score. A tie means that both teams are affected. High score wins, injuring a number of randomly selected players on the losing team and on the pitch equal to the roll of one dice. Roll for the effects of the injuries straight away. No Armour roll is required.

Reason: ''
gallowin
Veteran
Veteran

Interesting idea

Post by gallowin »

The idea of an expanded table sounds interesting. I'm not so sure about that many results being Change of weather. Here are my suggestions to add:
Check out those cheerleaders: The cheerleaders are being extremely distracting. Both coaches roll 1d6 and add the number of cheerleaders to the roll. The high scoring (or both on a tie) coach's cheerleaders have distracted 1-3 randomly selected players and they lose their action for the receiving teams first turn. Treat these players just like they rolled Bonehead. They will snap back to their sense after the kicking team's turn as they realize the game has started. Players affected by this may not catch the ball.

--OR--

Trick Ball An assistant coach has slipped an exploding ball into the game. Both coaches roll 1d6 and add the number of assitant coaches to the roll. Re-roll any ties. The high scoring coach's team put the ball into play and timed it to explode in their opponent's half of the pitch. The ball isn't aerodynamic and tends to be erratic, coming down almost any where. Randomly pick one player on the pitch and roll armor & injury as if they had suffered a knock down from a block. The coaching staff gets a severe tongue lashing and the kicking team must re-kick with a properly checked out ball. Don't roll on the kick off table for this kick.

"A twist of the wrist, a slip of the blade, and your posturing is ended"
gallowin
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Attempting to put together an Expanded Kick-Off table.

Post by gallowin »

22 Anticipating the Snap: Any defensive playing who can legally make a Block Action may do so. This is a free action and can not cause a turnover.
Since this doesn't cause a turnover if a defensive player rolls skulls then they go down but the defense can continue their blocks if any are left?
26 Misreading the Offense. The kicking team has misread the offense and thinks it's going deep. Any player who is not on the line of scrimage moves 1d6 spaces in the direction of the endzone.
Do you roll 1d6 for each player or roll it once and move all players that many spaces? What if the move would take them off the pitch?
53 Off Sides: The offense has lured the defense off-sides, and the Ref calls D3 random kicking team players on the Line of Scrimage for the infraction and they are immediately moved to the reserves box. These players can take place in the next drive.
Is the kicking team allowed to replace these players from reserves or are they playing 1-3 players short for that drive?

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

53 - Off Side sounds a bit harsh to me, I would probably make that one just one randomly chosen player instead of D3.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
neoliminal

Re: Attempting to put together an Expanded Kick-Off table.

Post by neoliminal »

gallowin wrote:
Since this doesn't cause a turnover if a defensive player rolls skulls then they go down but the defense can continue their blocks if any are left?
That't correct. This isn't a turn, so there's no turnover.

Do you roll 1d6 for each player or roll it once and move all players that many spaces? What if the move would take them off the pitch?
1d6 for each player. You can't run off the pitch.
Is the kicking team allowed to replace these players from reserves or are they playing 1-3 players short for that drive?
You play short.

neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

Anthony_TBBF wrote:53 - Off Side sounds a bit harsh to me, I would probably make that one just one randomly chosen player instead of D3.
Okay.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
neoliminal

Re: Interesting idea

Post by neoliminal »

[quote="gallowin"]The idea of an expanded table sounds interesting. I'm not so sure about that many results being Change of weather.

The number of weather changes are equal to the number we have now. That is 1 in 6.

John

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

IMO many of the "rolld6, add fan factor" - results should be changed so that two dice are rolled. Just to make it even remotely possible for the lower-FF team to get the bonus.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

It is an interesting attempt, I think that you might try to do something with the weather change table as well, making a change in weather actually result in weather change but not so extreme to go from sweltering heat to blizzard in one roll. Maybe have weather change one category per roll, ie from nice to sunny or ppuring rain and next time would change either back to nice or sweltering heat/blizzard. Maybe weather table could also include wind conditions, such as wind direction and strength which would add or subtract a certain number of squares from the range of pass or kick (depending on whether going with or into wind). Maybe this might be considered a bit too complex, I don't know.

GO STAMPEDERS!
gallowin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gallowin »

Torg wrote:It is an interesting attempt, I think that you might try to do something with the weather change table as well, making a change in weather actually result in weather change but not so extreme to go from sweltering heat to blizzard in one roll. Maybe have weather change one category per roll, ie from nice to sunny or ppuring rain and next time would change either back to nice or sweltering heat/blizzard. Maybe weather table could also include wind conditions, such as wind direction and strength which would add or subtract a certain number of squares from the range of pass or kick (depending on whether going with or into wind). Maybe this might be considered a bit too complex, I don't know.
I agree that it would be weird if things went from Blizzard to Sweltering heat but not sure if your suggestion would work with our current weather system. Each home team picks weather depending on where their home stadium games are played (Coastal, Arctic, Underground, etc.). Some of the charts have 4 or 6 choices.

Strong Winds: Roll d8 to randomly determine wind direction. All kick-offs and inaccurate passes travel an additional d6 squares in that direction when determing scatter.

Martin
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Martin »

neoliminal wrote:
Anthony_TBBF wrote:53 - Off Side sounds a bit harsh to me, I would probably make that one just one randomly chosen player instead of D3.
Okay.
I have to agree, only one player.

Martin

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

gallowin wrote:
Strong Winds: Roll d8 to randomly determine wind direction. All kick-offs and inaccurate passes travel an additional d6 squares in that direction when determing scatter.
I was giving it a little more thought and came up with something similar but a little more complex. Each time you roll for weather change, you roll d6 for wind;

1-3=calm (no effect, ie 0)
4= light wind (1)
5= moderate wind (2)
6= strong wind (3)

This table could be changed if someone could come up with something better. Anyway, if result is 4-6, then roll wind direction using scatter template. The ball will automatically move in the direction of the d8 roll a number of sqares = to the wind strength (number in brackets) on any kick or pass. The thrower would have to take wind into consideration when declaring what square he was throwing to. Example, if light wind was coming directly from behind, a thrower would have to aim at the square in front of the intended receiver because ball would automatically be pushed one sqare forward be wind, if accurate he hits receiver (with aid of wind) but if innaccurate, the ball would scatter from square he aimed at, not receiver's square.

Anyway, some may think this may be a little complex, but if you think about it, it only adds a couple of rolls and makes passing and kicking a little more of an adventure especially with strong winds.

GO STAMPEDERS!
neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

Torg wrote:It is an interesting attempt, I think that you might try to do something with the weather change table as well, making a change in weather actually result in weather change but not so extreme to go from sweltering heat to blizzard in one roll. Maybe have weather change one category per roll, ie from nice to sunny or ppuring rain and next time would change either back to nice or sweltering heat/blizzard. Maybe weather table could also include wind conditions, such as wind direction and strength which would add or subtract a certain number of squares from the range of pass or kick (depending on whether going with or into wind). Maybe this might be considered a bit too complex, I don't know.
I'm working on stadium rules that cover regional weather conditions. See them later... :smoking:

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Some other possible results
Obsessed Fan - Loco fan runs on to the field and holds up d3-1 players on each team. These players can not make any actions the first turn of the drive.
Restless Hooligans - a small crowd run onto the field resulting in a 1 turn riot.

Possible additions to the weather changes, the losing team can add or subract 1 from the total of the two dice if they want.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Hehe, I really like the Obsessed Fan!

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/