What if you couldn't buy team re-rolls?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

What if you couldn't buy team re-rolls?

Post by neoliminal »

I've been thinking about this a little bit, and I was wonding what you guys thought. What would the effect on the game be if you removed Team Re-Rolls?
:o

Reason: ''
[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

Too many Turnovers would occur, and some teams like Humans with skills will be may be too powerfull...

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

It would mean i would suffer a turnover with my first roll of my turn every turn.

I wouldn't have to worry about so many double 1s as a single one would do it, the double 1s would save themselves for my players with skills.

neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

You could never re-roll block dice. That's got some interesting side effects.

Do you really think humans would do so much better? I think re-rolls would hurt everyone equally, otherwise why would humans ever buy them?

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

To keep their team rating low in a league format :)

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

In the kind of tournament we ve done like Spiky and T5, Humans are good cos they have skills.
For my elves, i took 4 RR for the spiky, without them, i would have been reaped from All my oponents. Cos they have more skills than me.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Remco
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Remco »

If you only could buy RR when creating a team, you make some teams almost impossible to play. Elves are expensive to buy, so they have to cut in FF and apo (both critical to them) to get as much RR as Amazons or Dwarves.

Note to self: make sure to start every game with "PLEASE, DON'T KILL ME!!!!"
Mr. Sanity
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mr. Sanity »

I think that removing TRRs would favor teams that have players with skills over teams that start off with no skills to speak of (or whose skilled players are too expensive to buy). Also, since the cost of TRRs is one of the "balancing" factors in keeping teams relatively on par with one another, some teams would need to be compensated in other ways (cheaper players or skill for certain positions) in order to keep the playing field relatively level.

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

i always thought it would be interesting to have all teams start with 1 trr, then roll after the game in a similar fashion to ff (though a bit more difficult) to add _and lose_ trr's... never bothered to develop the thought because it'd be an overly impactful change to the game's early stages since teams would roll out with a few more players... but that's not neccessarilly a bad thing, just different...

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

in the same vein i often wondered if teams should all start with a 1ff too... i mean, what team has legions of fans the day it's formed, eh...

but again, this would be a pretty significant change...

neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

Mr. Sanity wrote:Also, since the cost of TRRs is one of the "balancing" factors in keeping teams relatively on par with one another, some teams would need to be compensated in other ways...
Couldn't you simply let teams rebalance in a new way? Do you really think the Re-Rolls are required for any particular team to be competative?

Dwarves spring to mind as a team that starts with great skills and has access to cheap re-rolls. Would removing RR's destroy this team?

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Whats with everyone trying to rewrite rules that have been working fine for years. There isn't any problem with rr in their current state, why do anything at all, seems to be a lot of fixing of stuff that isn't broken around here.

Mr. Sanity
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mr. Sanity »

neoliminal wrote:
Mr. Sanity wrote:Also, since the cost of TRRs is one of the "balancing" factors in keeping teams relatively on par with one another, some teams would need to be compensated in other ways...
Couldn't you simply let teams rebalance in a new way? Do you really think the Re-Rolls are required for any particular team to be competative?

Dwarves spring to mind as a team that starts with great skills and has access to cheap re-rolls. Would removing RR's destroy this team?
Well, strip Dwarves of their TRRs, and I'd be pretty shocked if they managed to score any points their first couple of games, with their abysmal AG. Any points that were scored would be by Runners or maybe Blitzers, with no real chance (compared to a low chance) for any other positions to score.

Of all the teams, Humans would be least affected (they have a very good selection of affordable skilled players), Elves would score even fewer casualties, Dwarves would score fewer points, and basically every race will behave more like an "average" version of their race, rather than having a fair potential to do something surprising. In many ways, TRRs give teams the opportunity to do something unexpected without exposing the team to a tremendous level of risk. Basically, TRRs make taking risks more managable, and in my opinion, help make the games more interesting and exciting. Also, TRRs really help the development of unskilled Lineman positions by giving them a chance to re-roll a block, a failed pickup or catch, etc. I believe that not having TRRs will slow the growth of unskilled linemen even more than their current slow progression.

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

One of the reasons i like Blood Bowl is that, even though it's a strategy game with an element of chance, even that chance can be managed strategically with the proper use of rerolls. This reduces the amount of chance, and increases the proportion of strategy.

If rerolls hadn't been part of the game, i wouldn't have liked Blood Bowl the first time i tried it (it was one of the design concepts that i liked most about the game). I wouldn't have joined a league, nor started my own, and i would be playing something else at the moment.

Joaquim

Re-rolls

Post by Joaquim »

I used to play the... hum?! that edition with the «astroganite» field... when the players had a balistical skill... hum... I guess it's 2nd or 3rd...
There weren't re-rolls back then... and I must say I didn't like when my BB arrived (from mail order) and I got a diferent game - specially I desliked the re-rolls thing: as it looked a little silly...

But... well... after some games I got used to it... and, they are a core part of the game as it is now... and I'm starting to like it!!...

Even if sometimes I dream of going back to the old days when players had some more stats... and you could say a hobbit was a good thrower....
Well, good old days...

:smoking:

Joaquim