Suggestion for a "shorter game" variant

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Suggestion for a "shorter game" variant

Post by Marcus »

It works for Rugby, why not Bloodbowl...

Eight a side Bloodbowl:

- Halve the allowed players per team list (humans can have 2 blitzers, 1 thrower....)
- 750,000 GC to buy a team
- Game is played in 4x4 turn quarters, not 2x8 turn halves.
- Recommend using kicking rules to keep it spicy.

Thoughts?

Reason: ''
Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Zy-Nox
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Zy-Nox »

I played a 'sevens' version from the paradigm website but this looks like it could work, especially with the kicking rules.
I may even try and squeeze in a game of it tonight.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]Hall Of Famer[/url]
Novice Heretic
Wielder of the Trout of Nuffle Slapping
"I hope this makes sense,most things make sense in my head, but not to other people"
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

i ve seen a lot of fun variant like the 7 a side or the BeachBloodbowl and 5 against 5....
This is fun, quicker but this is not the true Bloodbowl.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

the leading culprit in game time is skills.... those annoying players who cause ten-minute turns as the other guy tries to assemble some sort of guard/diving tackle flying wedge play and the skill players who never get turnovers because they can reroll everything... taking down the ability to get highly skilled teams and player rerolls will reduce the complexity of formation play as well as encourage turnovers... long-term player rollover a la aging doesn't really help this... if you want faster games, kill more players... consider making armor rolls succeed when they are _equal to_ the av, remove the ref, or some other variation to up the body count.... players won't live long enough to aquire stacks of skills and the second half will be quicker without as many players to move, though you'll need to up the winnings table a little...

or, leave the mechanics alone and rais the skill thresholds... if there aren't players out there with more than 2 or 3 skills, and the average lineman needs to srerve a carreer to get that second one, you'll get slightly faster games...

in the end, you're not going to be happy with the results of any speeding up proposal, it won't be 'the same game' so you have to decide if you want a different game or if you're fine with the time...

i tried a sevens league once, we played about 10 games each and while the games were about 1.5 hours, we all felt like weren't playing bloodbowl...

you get to where you decide; yeah, i'd love it if i could play the game in an hour, but i'm willing to suffer the 3 hour marathons to keep what i like about the game intact...

longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Rookie teams in a tourny arn't a problem to play so I say leave it alone. As for developed teams in existing leagues then leave it up to the coaches to fight it out or use a flexible and friendly time limit.

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Marcus, are you psyhic? I was only thinking a similar thing this morning while driving to work though I would have gone for 7-a-side.

I'd also argue for only having o put 2 players on the LOS.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Or just keep everything as is and make halves have 6 turns each. Cuts game time by 25%.

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Additionally, slow-moving teams would be forced to take more risks on offense, as it can get hard to get the ball to the EZ in six turns. This would certainly result in faster turns as the chances of failure grow for those teams.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
CeleTheRef
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CeleTheRef »

once I wrote down some notes about a "resized" BloodBowl, with pitch, number of players, MA and throwing range reduced by about 1/3.

Actually looks like a "zoomed in" BB. If only I could find the notes... :cry:

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

A special mid season fun tournament exists in the south bend indiana league. 4 guys from a team start in each corner (4 teams), ball starts out in one of the 4 center squares. Ball does not scatter. Touchdowns are scored only in the opposites corners endzone (half of the endzone). Tournament was best 2 out of 3, no large prizes. It was a just for fun tournament.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Spyke and BigD were working on a 7's variant. I suggested limiting position players to 1.
2 Gutter Runners is just too scary with a full sized pitch, same can be said of Welf catchers.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Zy-Nox

Post by Zy-Nox »

Deathwing wrote:Spyke and BigD were working on a 7's variant. I suggested limiting position players to 1.
2 Gutter Runners is just too scary with a full sized pitch, same can be said of Welf catchers.
You could set up games with these rules as a side attraction at The Bloodowl tourny,or some other event,
It would get more feedback that way I think. :D

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]Hall Of Famer[/url]
Novice Heretic
Wielder of the Trout of Nuffle Slapping
"I hope this makes sense,most things make sense in my head, but not to other people"
Bevan
Veteran
Veteran

Half Blood Bowl

Post by Bevan »

We needed to run a tounament where we only had 1 hour per game so we used these rules:

Use the full length of the pitch, but only half width. This means you only have one wide zone.

Teams are 6 per side with all position limits halved. 600k for teams. Minimim 2 players on LOS. 6 turns per half. No freebooting.

We tried a range of different teams and it did not seem to favour any specific team type. The game feels a lot like normal Blood Bowl. Jjust assume the other 5 players are on the missing side of the field blocking each other. :lol:

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Darkson wrote:Marcus, are you psyhic?
There's something frightening about someone with a Judge Death avatar asking that question....

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Trambi

Post by Trambi »

If the pitch dimension are the same, it will be pretty difficult for dwarfs or orcs to score in four turns.

Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !