Suggested House ruling on Apothecary

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

roysorlie
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Suggested House ruling on Apothecary

Post by roysorlie »

Hi guys!

In my league, we have made a house ruling on that the apothecary is an automatic. It's is so insanely annoying when one of your favortie players get's killed, and you actually manage to roll a 1 on the apothecary.

Honestly guys, the Apoth fails about half the time.

Just thought I'd share the idea.

I'm quite certain almost all coaches will like it, with the possible exception of undead coaches, but then, having regeneration on the entire team sort of makes his argument worth so much less. :D

Reason: ''
Roy

Norwegian National Tournament Organizer.

Coachname [url=http://fumbbl.com/~SnakeEyes]SnakeEyes[/url] on [url=http://fumbbl.com/]fumbbl.com[/url]
NAF member 187
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

I would just be willing to be able to use rerolls on it.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Trambi
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Suggested House ruling on Apothecary

Post by Trambi »

roysorlie wrote: (...)
Honestly guys, the Apoth fails about half the time.
(...)
Normally it fails about once on six.

Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !
Heiper
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Heiper »

Hehe, true.

But then again, I have some we-just-love-to-throw-1-when-we-are-woodelf dices. In last season, i had Cas in every game, Apoth worked 5 times out of 12. But thats just my super 1 dice. I still don't want to have it automatic tho. I like the tension of when you are rolling the dice to see if he REALLY died :D

-Heiper-
Munkey

Post by Munkey »

Where's the fun in that!

I love to see that hated player I just knocked down actually die :evil: sure it happens to me too but remember this is BLOOD bowl :D

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
franck_le_grand
Veteran
Veteran

Post by franck_le_grand »

As Heiper said it takes away the tension and the fun. And come on guys, it's fun when your best player die, and you have to start a new one up (ok it's not fun right after he died, but after a couple of laughs...)

It doesn't bother me...

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Heh, well only thing that came anywhere near apothecarys when we had our old league was on our weekly event chart :)

*rummages on hard drive*
61 Legendary Apothecary - A legendary apothecary has travelled through the area, you may pay 50,000 gold to remove a single niggling injury or stat decrease from any one player on your team (he can't cure death however!)
Was based on the Necromunda table, had some neat stuff on it :)

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
franck_le_grand
Veteran
Veteran

Post by franck_le_grand »

Hey Ithilkir, why don't you post that table, or make a link or something like that? I would like to see it...
I loved necromunda, but now I only play BB

neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

I had an idea for a house rule for Apoths. Apoths start out with a 4+ save for any injury. Every time they rolled a 6, they get a bonus. For example a rookie apoth who saves someone with a 6 would become a 3+ save. If they failed to save someone by rolling a 1, they would become worse. So a rookie who failed would become a 5+. Follow the 1 and 6 rule, so an apoth could never get better than 2+ or worse than 6+.

Now allow people to buy as many apoths as they like and allow them to be traded between teams.

John -

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
McSnaga
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Suggested House ruling on Apothecary

Post by McSnaga »

roysorlie wrote: but then, having regeneration on the entire team sort of makes his argument worth so much less.
Regeneration on the whole team ?

From my experience when playing undead I always play at least 2 or 3 ghouls, who have AV 7 and do not have regenerate or an apothecary and (according to page 27 of the LRB) the Necromancer/coach cannot even use Raise the Dead if one of his own ghouls dies.

Personally I like the 1 in 6 chance of an Apothecary failing. if I make repeated efforts to injure/kill a hard opponent and finally beat his AV, then I hate it when an Apothecary is used. Not that it will stop me using one on my own (non-Undead) team of course :wink:

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. "
Terry Pratchett
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

I suggested a house rule in my league: I hate it when my gutter runners roll snakeyes when trying to dodge away so I suggested making 2+ dodges with rerolls automatic. It's so annoying when all you have to do is roll a dodge to score and you fail on a 1-36 chance....

:roll:

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
roysorlie
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by roysorlie »

Marcus wrote:I suggested a house rule in my league: I hate it when my gutter runners roll snakeyes when trying to dodge away so I suggested making 2+ dodges with rerolls automatic. It's so annoying when all you have to do is roll a dodge to score and you fail on a 1-36 chance....

:roll:
Oh hey, I play elves. That so called 1/36 chance is bullshit. 1/36 chances happes oh, every other 5 tosses or so, in my experiance.

But I wouldn't want to make it an automatic roll. I think it's such wonderful irony when my wardancer tries a 2+ dodge with reroll, and actually manages to fall, and give himself a niggling injury.

Besides, it makes fast, agile teams too powerful. An elf team relies on many dodges. Make em automatic, and it's too powerful.,

Roy

Norwegian National Tournament Organizer.

Coachname [url=http://fumbbl.com/~SnakeEyes]SnakeEyes[/url] on [url=http://fumbbl.com/]fumbbl.com[/url]
NAF member 187
Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Roy. Marcus was beign sarcastic ;)

And for Franck, here's a copy of (an old) weekly event table we used...

Campaign Events

11 WAR! - War has broken out in the region, you may pick upto three of your players to send to the recruiting station, these players will miss the next game while they are at war. Afterwards roll a d6, on a roll of a 1 the player has been killed in action, on a result of 2-6 the player returns home a hero and may immediately add d6 star player points.
12 Young Guns - A Blood Bowl popularity boom hits the region, each team may add one lineman to the roster free of charge.
13 Rivalry! - Two random players from two seperate teams have formed a rivalry, when playing against each other the two players must always be played for the whole match (unless KO'd or injured). If adjacent to each other, the player whose turn it is MUST block and follow up the rival opponent.
14 No event - Nothing happens this week.
15 Nurgles Rot - A plague has hit the region, all apothecaries have been drafted in to help combat the epidemic, no apothecaries can be used until the next event is rolled.
16 No event - Nothing happens this week.

21 Greedy Git - The player with the highest number of SPP's demands a bonus to keep him on the team. The coach must pay half of the players basic cost to keep the player on the roster, otherwise he quits on the spot!
22 Snowstorm! - Until the next event is rolled up, all games are affected by the "blizzard" result, don't roll for the weather at kick off, and ignore any kick off table results of rolling for the weather.
23 No event - Nothing happens this week.
24 Shortages - A shortage of skilled Blood Bowl players has affected the region, teams may only hire linemen until the next event is rolled.
25 No event - Nothing happens this week.
26 Tax Increase - Tax rates are up and fans just can't afford to watch a match, until the next event is rolled, all attendances are halved (round down to the nearest 1,000)

31 Discontentment - Fans are fed up, they don't believe the teams are being violent enough, for the next match only, if a team fails to cause a casualty, the fans demand the money back and that team won't get any winnings.
32 Major Team Practice - A major team is in the region looking for some practice games. Any team may accept the offer, they will get 1d3 x 10,000 gold for the game, however they must roll a d6 for each player on the roster, on a roll of a 1 they got roughed up and must make an injury roll, ignore stunned, KO'd and badly hurt results, serious injuries and deaths take affect immediately, you may not use an apothecary.
33 Old Pro - An old pro offers his services for free to the team with the lowest TR. Take a lineman from the teams race and roll 3d6 and add the results, this is the players SPP's, make any Star Player skill rolls if required, this player also comes with one niggling injury.
34 No event - Nothing happens this week.
35 Time to Quit - The player with the most amount of niggling injuries and/or stat decreases decides to retire, decide randomly if there is more than one player with the same number of injuries. This event has no effect if there are no players with injuries in the league. The player buys out his contract when he retires, giving the team his gold value (so a human lineman would give 50,000 when he retires).
36 No event - Nothing happens this week.

41 Too many Egos - The team with the highest team rating is having internal ego problems, they will permanently lose a re-roll unless the coach pays a bonus to his players, the bonus required is equal to the cost of a basic re-roll.
42 Discontentment - Fans are fed up, they don't believe the teams are scoring enough, for the next match only, if a team fails to score, the fans demand the money back and that team won't get any winnings.
43 No event - Nothing happens this week.
44 The Big Time - The player with the most amount of SPP's has been offered a contract with a major team and will leave the team immediately, decide randomly if there is more than one player with the same number of SPP's. This event has no effect if there are no players with SPP's in the league. The major team will give the team the players gold value (so a human lineman would give 50,000 when he retires).
45 No event - Nothing happens this week.
46 Working Together - The team with the lowest team rating is working as hard as they can to get better, they may purchase a single re-roll for the basic price.

51 Rivalry! - Two random players from two seperate teams have formed a rivalry, when playing against each other the two players must always be played for the whole match (unless KO'd or injured). If adjacent to each other, the player whose turn it is MUST block and follow up the rival opponent.
52 No event - Nothing happens this week.
53 No event - Nothing happens this week.
54 Freebooter - Starting with the team with the highest TR, roll a d6, on a 4-6 the player with the most amount of SPP leaves to become a freebooter, his cost to freeboot is (basic cost + 10,000 per skill or stat increase / 2). On a roll of 1-3, the team isn't affected, go to the next highest team.
55 Heatwave! - Until the next event is rolled up, all games are affected by the "sweltering heat" result, don't roll for the weather at kick off, and ignore any kick off table results of rolling for the weather.
56 Fading Stars Knowledge - A former Blood Bowl star player is in the region, after the next match each team plays, they may send any one player that is due a Star Player roll to visit the star. Deduct 20,000 gold from the teams treasury (expenses don't you know), DON'T roll any dice, assume they came up a double 1.

61 No event - Nothing happens this week.
62 Legendary Apothecary - A legendary apothecary has travelled through the area, you may pay 50,000 gold to remove a single niggling injury or stat decrease from any one player on your team (he can't cure death however!)
63 Rivalry! - Two random players from two seperate teams have formed a rivalry, when playing against each other the two players must always be played for the whole match (unless KO'd or injured). If adjacent to each other, the player whose turn it is MUST block and follow up the rival opponent.
64 No event - Nothing happens this week.
65 Shoddy Armour - The local armourer has produced a bad batch of armour, roll a d6 at the start of the next match for each team, on a roll of a 1, the team has a bad batch of armour and must subtract one from each players AV for the next match only. If any players suffering from bad armour are seriously injured or killed they will get 10,000 gold in compensation (well the smith is scared to death) for each player seriously injured or killed.
66 Referee's Conference - A horde of major league Referee's are in the region and are watching the games while they are here, due to the 'extra eyes' the local refs have, anyone commiting a foul will be automatically sent off (you can still argue the call however), this lasts until the next event is rolled.

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Mojoshenpo
Veteran
Veteran

Wellllll, as unpopular as it may be....

Post by Mojoshenpo »

I'd like to see apoths BANNED, and out of bounds (being knocked off the field) putting you in the Reserves.... :?:

If you die, you die; but there is too much death and injury. :x

Less Blood and more Bowl! :D But when you're gone, you're gone!! :wink:

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

I actually really liked Neo's apoth idea. Man they suck to start out but who cares. If your players dies, start a new one. They work as well as Regeneration, at least and they'll get better.

Neo, would you only allow one apoth per injury? I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed.

Oh, Roy, I don't like your idea at all. Apothecaries fail. That's Blood Bowl my boy. If he was automatic, he should cost more than the most expensive player out there. I'd set him at 250K.

Have fun!