home field advantages

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

grimfang
Experienced
Experienced

home field advantages

Post by grimfang »

when you ead the fictional portions of the blood bowl rules, there are lots of funny stories about teams with special fields that gave them an advantage. I allow a home field advantage in my leagues.. to an extent.
First of all.. .I allow the home team to decide which pitch they use... half of us prefer the current field, while half of us use the old Astrogranite pitch (with the endzone that is 2 squares deep!) I allow the team to decide which will be thier home field, but they must stick with that choice the entire season. I flip a coin to determin which is used for the championship game.
I am still considering allowing a skaven team to use a modified dungeon bowl setup as a pitch... and I am also looking at the possibility of allowing a norse team to use a field made from ice-flows (it was mentioned once in one of the books.. still working on a set of rules for them that will not disrupt the essence of the game too much.. almost got it worked out.)

Reason: ''
Relborn
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Relborn »

Thanks for the good inspiration. I am ready to create an ice-flow stadium for our next finals ...

Personally I prefer the 2-square endzones ... anyone else ?

BobbyDavro

Post by BobbyDavro »

We have just started a league using a bunch of rules to bring in the feel for playing both home and away games. Everyone in the league seems happy with the rules so far:
http://www.eibon.co.uk/bb/league-rules.html

I imagine that the rules would work just as well for a one-off game.

Another rule that we are considering is the possibility of giving home teams a free RR, to represent the extra encouragement from playing at home, but this may be too much of a bonus on top of the other factors available.

I think that this is one of the things sadly lacking from BB at the moment - there doesn't really appear to be any difference between playing a home or away game, whcih is a shame.

McSnaga
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by McSnaga »

As the background goes (afaik) with the collapse of the NAF, teams were forced to take to the road and play wherever they could .. so if that is still the case then most teams won't have a home stadium.

I agree otherwise though that a +1 to Fan Factor or something for home games would be nice, assuming 50/50 home and away.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. "
Terry Pratchett
franck_le_grand
Veteran
Veteran

Post by franck_le_grand »

I think that there should be some balanced rules for home stadiums which you could buy, and in that way we could get some more team manegement

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

franck_le_grand wrote:I think that there should be some balanced rules for home stadiums which you could buy, and in that way we could get some more team manegement
Thinking about it you should be able to hire a stadium in the same one off way you hire a wizard. Then there is no permanent advantage from buying a ground.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
grimfang
Experienced
Experienced

Post by grimfang »

One thing to remember about this though... just because you are the home team, it does no mean that yuou will have the most fans in the stadium! Anyone who watched the Raiders vs. Cardials game 3 weeks ago will know this! Actaully, i think this is the case for MOST CARDINALS games... do they actaully HAVE any fans of thier own?
I do like the idea of some type of REF advantage for the home team... maybe a free BRIBE THE REF card per game... the ref is always tempted to rule in favor of the home team, in fear of starting a riot!
Also... anyone considering WEATHER advantages for a stadium.... -2 to the weatehr roll for a norse stadium.... +2 for a lizard stadium? Face it... you will not have a blizzard in a lizard home stadium... unless they have a REALLY good wizard!

Kraff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kraff »

I recall that some rules about stadiums were published in an olde Citadel Journal and, I think, reprinted in BB Companion 1. Does anyone have these or know these rules?
I really like the idea of different stadium effects, like Astrogranite having a +1 modifier to armor rolls. Stadium upgrades could also be a nice money-sink, especially if you had an attendance cap and had to spend to increase seating.

-Kraff-
"If I had a Heart my blood would run ice cold."
McSnaga
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by McSnaga »

I believe I have the Companion you are mentioning and can check this evening (GMT) if no-one else posts first with it to hand.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. "
Terry Pratchett
Shasta McNasty

Post by Shasta McNasty »

I vaugely remember those rules myself, although our league never actually put them in action. From memory, while not neccesarily a balanced set of rules, they did add a few things to teh game that I think are extremley important..... CHARACTER and FUN!
Plus it is always nice to have something to spend your money on after a while... I regularly play an undead team, so I have less of a need to replace players and so on then some of teh softer teams :)

Evil Git
Hoomin's Deliverer

Post by Evil Git »

as if any of you really needed to ask.

go to galak's site http://www.blood-bowl.net and head over to the GW published Blood Bowl articles.

once into the vaults of the library head over to the Citadel Journal Articles and click on Citadel Journal #21: Take Your Seats Please! by Stuart Woods (Stadiums for your teams)

i hope this is the one that you were on about anyway.

plus there's loads of other things there to read as well.

http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb
Kraff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kraff »

Thanks,

They are much less spectacular that I had hoped. Time to write some rules...

-Kraff-
"If I had a Heart my blood would run ice cold."
grimfang
Experienced
Experienced

Post by grimfang »

ok.. i have been lazy.. i will finish up the ice-flow rules and post by monday...