Drawing in a cup match

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

darthvincor
Veteran
Veteran

Drawing in a cup match

Post by darthvincor »

What do you guys do in the event of a draw during a cup match and you'd prefer not to have a rematch?

My idea is to play 2 halves of 3 turns each. This would then be extra time.
But what if it's still a draw after extra time?
Sudden death would favor the receiving team too much.
Penalties would favor AG teams too much.

Reason: ''
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

I still think the extra half is the best bet. The short halves would very difficult on very slow teams, dwarves and undead, they may be able to score in 3 turns, but its not hard to slow them down.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Chaos Dwarf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chaos Dwarf »

We always just play another sudden death half until someone scores. The last final we had though was 5-0 so we didn't have to worry about OT

bluetooth
Star Player
Star Player

Post by bluetooth »

sean newboy wrote:I still think the extra half is the best bet. The short halves would very difficult on very slow teams, dwarves and undead, they may be able to score in 3 turns, but its not hard to slow them down.
Well said, Sean. The extra half is the best solution. The fast and agile teams would win almost certainly if the shorter half rule were used. Don't like that. The ordinary sudden death extra half is the best.

Nuffle Sucks!
Superior Heretic
Nuffle Blasphemer's Association
Winner of [url=http://www.hattrick.org/Common/default.asp]Hattrick[/url] Talk Blood Bowl Cup V, VI and VII
Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

bluetooth wrote:The ordinary sudden death extra half is the best.
Might as well toss a coin if you play sudden death. The team that gets Da Ball is highly favourite to scoring the winning goal! :smoking:

Stunty King of Lutèce Bowl 2006!:lol:

Owner of a "Deputy Dook Badge"
bluetooth
Star Player
Star Player

Post by bluetooth »

Draco wrote:Might as well toss a coin if you play sudden death. The team that gets Da Ball is highly favourite to scoring the winning goal! :smoking:
Well, it isn't still as unfair as a "shorter half". How about another house rule (not my idea, I think its quite interesting)? If the game goes to overtime (after you have tossed the coin and decided who kicks) the receiving team sets his team first and the kicking team next. This way the defending team gets a better position.

Nuffle Sucks!
Superior Heretic
Nuffle Blasphemer's Association
Winner of [url=http://www.hattrick.org/Common/default.asp]Hattrick[/url] Talk Blood Bowl Cup V, VI and VII
Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

bluetooth wrote:
Well, it isn't still as unfair as a "shorter half". How about another house rule (not my idea, I think its quite interesting)? If the game goes to overtime (after you have tossed the coin and decided who kicks) the receiving team sets his team first and the kicking team next. This way the defending team gets a better position.
Agreed on the first account it will probably always be unfair either way. :o

Second thing would have to be tested. I think the receiving team should set up his players first if you want to opt for this option. Otherwise they might get to much changes to go for the ball immediatly. Think about a player using the kick skill to get the ball as close as possible to his lines. They would then profit to much. Like the idea of the defending team being able to bash up the LOS first before the kicking team can benefit from having the ball in their half. :smoking:

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

we use two 4 turn halves.
Recieving the all is too big an advantage otherwise. Now each team gets the ball once (or should get it :P )

Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

Draco wrote:
bluetooth wrote:The ordinary sudden death extra half is the best.
Might as well toss a coin if you play sudden death. The team that gets Da Ball is highly favourite to scoring the winning goal! :smoking:
Sudden death OT's are not so automatic if you use Zombies idea of ahving the kicking team get an automatic blitz on the kickoff table. We ahve used it in our league for some time now and it makes overtime very exciting as both teams have an equal shot at scoring. And we have had 39 Overtime games to date and everyone of them has been decided in the 8 turn overtime we have never had to go beyond that again I atribute that to the blitz.

ImageImage
Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

Xtreme wrote: And we have had 39 Overtime games to date and everyone of them has been decided in the 8 turn overtime we have never had to go beyond that again I atribute that to the blitz.
Who won most of them? :smoking:

DesTroy
Super Star
Super Star

8 turn OT

Post by DesTroy »

Here in the Howling Fury Football League, we use an 8 turn overtime in league games as well as playoffs. In regular season, if the teams are still tied after 8 turns each, then it's a draw, but this hasn't happened yet :) . In playoffs, we play 8 turn OT or play till there's a winner if neither team scores in the extra half :o . None of this "penalty shootout" :puke: BS.

I see that idea of having the receiving team set up first in OT...has anyone actually playtested that?

Kheldar
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Kheldar »

In play-offs or tournaments we play sudden death, but with the rule that after a TD is scored the other team may receive one last kick. But if this ball is lost (ball carrier knocked over, fumbled pass etc...) the game ends.