By request my league's rules

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Hrothgar
Experienced
Experienced

By request my league's rules

Post by Hrothgar »

*DISCLAIMER* This is not being posted to start a debate. I'm merely posting this from a request I received in another thread. Feel free to ask questions, but I'm not debating anything here.

We (our league of 5 friends) use the core 3rd edition ruleset with Death Zone. Yes, all the broken rules, cards, skills (we use the skills as they were in 3rd edition) and such are living and alive in our league. Each coach has one 'main team' and then the rest of the teams are picked up by the rest of the coaches. But alas, we do have some houserules. *note* I doubt I remember all of our houserules so if you have a question I'll answer it and edit this post later.
  • No duplicate teams. ie: No 2 Orc teams, No 2 Undead teams, although a Vampire team and a Necro team is okay.

Skills do not stack. ie, Claw, Mighty Blow and Dirty Player.

Regeneration is a 4+ roll.

Star Players may only be Freebooted. And they are unique. ie only one in the league and if they die, they're dead for good.

We use Big Guys, but we ignore the Big Guy skill and nega-traits can be removed from the Big Guy on a skill roll of doubles.

We use Galak's on-pitch spellcasters rule.

The opposing coach decides which player on your team gets the MVP.
    Dead players may not earn the MVP.

Not sure how Piling On reads, but in our league when you successfully block (or blitz) you decide before the armor roll to Pile On.

Not sure how Diving Tackle reads, but we only allow one Diving Tackle per turn.
I believe that is it, but I'll edit and update it if I can remember anything. Enjoy.

Reason: ''
The thing that is overpowered is the number of LRB lovers here at TBB. Winning has overpowered fun.
cani
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cani »

Quick question on the one concerning the MVP, not that I think it would be an issue among friends.

Do you have any rules concerning which player the opposing coach is allowed to give the MVP to? For example the player must have had an impact on the game as a whole or something like that.

The most evil of coaches might choose to give the MVP to a player without any SPP to ensure that you have the fewest skills in the next game. Or he might give the MVP to the player, who already has three skills and thus are far from his next skill roll.

It's not just a game - it's Blood Bowl
Hrothgar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hrothgar »

Yes cani, your right it isn't any deal at all among friends (which we all are very close friends.)

But the MVP is suppossed to go to the player than had the biggest impact on the game. That doesn't neccesaily mean the player with the most SPP in the game.

Example: I recently played a game against my brother's Chaos team. He had a Beastman (0 SPP) that in that game blitzed my Troll and knocked him out, and made the game winning blitz on ball carrying Orc Blitzer. He gained no SPP that game, but was the MVP in my eyes.

Things like that happen all the time in our league and we have fun playing in it.

The thing that is overpowered is the number of LRB lovers here at TBB. Winning has overpowered fun.
neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

I really really like that MVP rule.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

I hate that rule as it would generally mean linemen with one or more nigglers are going to collect MVP's like mad and Blitzers, catchers and blockers (especially blockers) will never get an MVP.

Bad rule!!!

Even if played fair, players who already have a lot of experience, and skills will get even more since they are likely to be the TD scorers, BG survivors or doers of whatever cool is done!

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Sounds cool.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
noodle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by noodle »

Redfang wrote:I hate that rule as it would generally mean linemen with one or more nigglers are going to collect MVP's like mad and Blitzers, catchers and blockers (especially blockers) will never get an MVP.

Bad rule!!!

Even if played fair, players who already have a lot of experience, and skills will get even more since they are likely to be the TD scorers, BG survivors or doers of whatever cool is done!
It depends - as with all rules - on the players in your league. More roleplaying types might be tempted to give the MVP to the player who did the most cool stuff...

More competetive coaches would give to a useless niggling lineman

*BOTH* are valid within the context of the rule - its not a judgement

http://www.geocities.com/noodle1978uk
NAF Member #2351
ScottyBoneman
Super Star
Super Star

Post by ScottyBoneman »

noodle wrote:
Redfang wrote:I hate that rule as it would generally mean linemen with one or more nigglers are going to collect MVP's like mad and Blitzers, catchers and blockers (especially blockers) will never get an MVP.

Bad rule!!!

It depends - as with all rules - on the players in your league. More roleplaying types might be tempted to give the MVP to the player who did the most cool stuff...

More competetive coaches would give to a useless niggling lineman

*BOTH* are valid within the context of the rule - its not a judgement
Or the guy that got killed. But this is the classic example of a rule that could never be standard but can work in the right league.

We did this in the Duff Bowl on PBemBBL, with the right of appeal (which was never needed). Its all about the league.

[size=75]The ocean doesn't want me today.[/size]
Hrothgar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hrothgar »

ScottyBoneman wrote:Or the guy that got killed.
Edited the orginal post. Dead players may not receive the MVP.

Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

I would like that rule to work, but I also agree that the player scoring the TD and gaining all the SPP's in one match is not always the biggest star.

I once had one lineman who did nothing special all match long, except give a few critical assists and blitzing another guy going for the score. He won me the match just as much as the lone catcher who caught two balls for two TD's, but his actions were not as apparent, so the catcher would get the MVP. So even if Roleplayed correctly, this rule would lead to a few players getting all the MVP's and other players getting none.

Alas

R

Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
Hrothgar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hrothgar »

Redfang wrote:I would like that rule to work, but I also agree that the player scoring the TD and gaining all the SPP's in one match is not always the biggest star.

I once had one lineman who did nothing special all match long, except give a few critical assists and blitzing another guy going for the score. He won me the match just as much as the lone catcher who caught two balls for two TD's, but his actions were not as apparent, so the catcher would get the MVP. So even if Roleplayed correctly, this rule would lead to a few players getting all the MVP's and other players getting none.

Alas

R
That just depends on what kind of people you play with. In our league that lineman would most certainly have gotten the MVP. And most of our MVP's go to Blockers and Lineman.

Redfang
Legend
Legend

Post by Redfang »

No, because usually you don't recognise these facts. The only reason I noticed was that I used a miniature for him that was clearly different from the rest of the team.
Usually actions such as the ones described go unnoticed.

I don't want to take your houserules down, or anything, and as long as this rule works for your group that's fantastic; I'd like to see a rule like that work. I just don't want that rule to become official or anything. If a BBRC member then shows interest in the rule, I just want to point out the problems it could cause.

R

Dan kon ik samen spelen.

Hrothgar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hrothgar »

Redfang wrote:No, because usually you don't recognise these facts. The only reason I noticed was that I used a miniature for him that was clearly different from the rest of the team.
Usually actions such as the ones described go unnoticed.R
Not in our league they don't. But then again all 5 of us played American Football (I say American because I've noticed there are a lot of Euros on this board) in both High School and College and we are well aware of the value of both defensive and offensive linemen.

And I appreciate you not 'tearing down' my houserules. That is gracious of you, but statements like this are comical.
No, because usually you don't recognise these facts.
You have no idea how our league runs or anything of the like, but you seem to be so sure of what we notice and don't notice.

Redfang
Legend
Legend

Post by Redfang »

OK so I should have said "No because usually one does not recognise these facts." or "No because often one does not recognise these facts."

Point is that this rule might work great amongst friends in a friendly league and from what you tell me that seems to be the case in your league, but would not work in a lot of other leagues, and would thus make a great houserule, but not a good official rule.

R

Dan kon ik samen spelen.

Hrothgar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hrothgar »

Redfang wrote:OK so I should have said "No because usually one does not recognise these facts." or "No because often one does not recognise these facts."

Point is that this rule might work great amongst friends in a friendly league and from what you tell me that seems to be the case in your league, but would not work in a lot of other leagues, and would thus make a great houserule, but not a good official rule.

R
I'm in 100% agreement with you there. And yes, it does work great in our league. So to each his own. Like I said, I wasn't trying to start a debate or tell anyone how to play their game. Just sharing.