New Edition rumors seem to be true

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

MagicElmo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: New Edition rumors seem to be true

Post by MagicElmo »

I like the Bögenhafen Barons minis and also the new art style. Has a bit of a throwback to old times feel.

Rule changes sound interesting, I wonder how they will work out and keen to see what GW will show us next.

I just hope GW will change the way they sell teams and offer us proper full teams in one box.
Though maybe we should be happy they are selling them this way. The 3rd party miniature designers won't be pushed out of the competition. :)
Would be a shame considering they helped keep this game alive.

Reason: ''
TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

MagicElmo wrote:I like the Bögenhafen Barons minis and also the new art style. Has a bit of a throwback to old times feel.

Rule changes sound interesting, I wonder how they will work out and keen to see what GW will show us next.

I just hope GW will change the way they sell teams and offer us proper full teams in one box.
Though maybe we should be happy they are selling them this way. The 3rd party miniature designers won't be pushed out of the competition. :)
Would be a shame considering they helped keep this game alive.
All I wanted was to have minis for all teams. Instead, I'm getting 198 special play cards, 108 star players, 31 teams (at least 1 more in the next edition) and an unknown amount of alternative kick-off and weather tables. Most of this additional content is probably useless with the new edition?

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Really good point. And people shout about GW being "miniatures first, rules second". Leave the rules alone and produce miniatures, then people will be happy! (probably...)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
montanhas18
Rookie
Rookie

Post by montanhas18 »

Black Orcs team roster leaked:

Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

Imperial Nobility and Humans too!
Bloodbowl 2020 rules 24 - pg86-87.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
MagicElmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MagicElmo »

Hmmm, looks like they will re-shuffle the teams quite a bit potentially.

Halfling Hopefulls? Halflings in the human teams, that's new for 2020, right?
I haven't played Blood Bowl 2016 as much as I wanted and when really only with my better better half.

Obviosuly I'm out of the picture a bit, but would Blood Bowl really need GW to survive (honest question here)?
The extra attention is great, but with existing rules and miniature companies like Willy and Greebo we have all the good stuff and a great selection of teams.

TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

MagicElmo wrote:Hmmm, looks like they will re-shuffle the teams quite a bit potentially.

Halfling Hopefulls? Halflings in the human teams, that's new for 2020, right?
I haven't played Blood Bowl 2016 as much as I wanted and when really only with my better better half.

Obviosuly I'm out of the picture a bit, but would Blood Bowl really need GW to survive (honest question here)?
The extra attention is great, but with existing rules and miniature companies like Willy and Greebo we have all the good stuff and a great selection of teams.
I mostly prefer GW's models, they are cheap, plastic and good looking. But it is a mystery who wanted a new edition?

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

TopsyKretts wrote:. But it is a mystery who wanted a new edition?
The shareholders?

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

I wanted a new edition!

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

Waldorf28 wrote:I wanted a new edition!
Interesting! Care to elaborate why? Were your expectations matched?

And something completely different, someone want to guess what the bird skill is gonna be? Surely it's gonna be a new bird skill?

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

So what we see here is that not every player can get access to any non mutation skill on a double various players do not have access to passing. Humans get halflings as well. The nobles seem quite similar to the bretonnian roster, and no guard.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
gjnoronh
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gjnoronh »

sann0638 wrote:Really good point. And people shout about GW being "miniatures first, rules second". Leave the rules alone and produce miniatures, then people will be happy! (probably...)

Mike a new rules set tends to draw new players into the game which allows them sell more miniatures. Old favorite teams for long established players is less of a draw for total sales then a splash new edition release that draws in lots of new players. There is a specific subset of people who have decided they need their 10th team, it's a lot smaller then the group of people who want to buy their 5th team, which is a lot smaller then the group of people who want to buy their first non starter team, and it's smaller then the group of people who are going to buy the starter whether new players or old players who want to get into the new edition.
Corollary thought what percent of long term serious BB players don't have a norse or 'zon team given the number of great third party teams - almost none of them have a snotling team though!

I love Blood Bowl but it's a rules set with lots of challenges: it's got a very steep learning curve, the turnover mechanic punishes newbies who haven't learned the odds, games take quite a long time for a 22 miniature game, and it's hard to get stores to want to support it with events and display space when someone can buy one box of minis and potentially be done with purchases for their rest of their entire BB career. I have happily and somewhat successfully demoed it at my local store - but despite the strong draw of the IP to many people it's still a bit of an uphill slog. I also think from a veteran standpoint BB roster design is a 'solved problem' as are most 11 on 11 kick off set ups - it would be nice to give veterans a game that's got more evolution to force people to actually think about kick off choices further.

Put me in the camp of folks who is happy to have a new edition (and somewhat more then half expected it given Cyanide's aborted press release last year and reading between the lines of various interviews given by various designers) I'm hoping it will be faster to play and easier to learn - not sure if that will be the case but that's my hope.

I played BB 2nd/3rd edition in the early 1990's or so but was out of the game until BB2016 brought me back with a splash in store release. At one point in the last three years my city which had zero leagues up until 2016 had 3 leagues running simultaneously. That's died down now but a new edition release will help launch some more leagues. BB2016 doesn't look much like my last memories of BB 20 years prior but I have loved playing it. I think other fans of the game will find the same thing to be true for them.

Skitters
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Skitters »

TopsyKretts wrote:
Waldorf28 wrote:I wanted a new edition!
Interesting! Care to elaborate why? Were your expectations matched?

And something completely different, someone want to guess what the bird skill is gonna be? Surely it's gonna be a new bird skill?
Whilst I cant say I'd been clamouring for a new edition, I'm looking forward to this update. The splitting of AG to AG an PA, to me, now feels like a pretty obvious change that should have happened earlier. The Skaven Thrower / Gutter Runner seems like a good example of how this makes a the thrower position which 'feels' like it thematically should be a position to build plays around (in a similar way to the Quarterback in NFL)

Beyond PA, to me it does not seem there are likely be many critically different changes that are going to make the new version a grinding transition from the current ruleset

That said, I had thought we'd get through remaining teams first before a new edition. I'm wondering now whether BB3 was perhaps possibly developed quicker than expected?

As for the Eagle....thats just because, Griff, having fallen on tough times is not only providing a player-coach role, he also does the half time entertainment to earn some extra coins to pay off the bailliffs chasing his debt from collecting toy soldiers

MagicElmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MagicElmo »

To be a bit selfish here if I may. :oops:

A new edition rises the chances of a Blood Bowl III and Cyanide just started tweeting about BB again.
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1291037877049217024

So that's one reason why the new edition does exite me a bit.
The othr one is the split of AG. I think that will be a good change, IMHO.

Fungus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fungus »

The next leaked pic is out ... this time the Wood elfs (i hope its a fake ... this time!).

First of all. I have the bad feeling that GW itself is responsible for the leaks as a new way of advertising.

I like the idea to separte PA from AG but not in the way they have done to the now poor Woodies.
All Player have PA 4+ except the Thrower who has PA 2+ and of course the Treeman.
Now most of the Woodelfs are as good (or bad) in passing like a Goblins, Ghoul or Halflings ... and i bet like humans too.

In addition the catcher loses sprint and the thrower becomes more expensive in price.
The new tactic against Wood Elfs is to hunt down the the Thrower first (if there is one in the starting setup) to full prevent any passing.
I m sure the other Elfteams will shre this fate. The text above still says ..."For Wood Elfs the long Pass is everything.".

It will be an interesting vote how many Blood Bowl players will stay to the old ruleset.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.