Can the BBRC Paint?

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

TiMuN
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by TiMuN »

A nice time, Babs, .. after a long wait ...
The bone shading does a great trick in contrast with the skins .. i like them very much! Good work!!

Reason: ''
[b]TiMuN[/b]
[size=75][img]http://www.bloodbowl.net/NAF/ArticleImages/naf.gif[/img] Member #181
[url=http://www.bloodbowlforo.org]BloodBowlForo.org[/url] | [url=http://spanishteam.tbbl.org]Spanish Team[/url][/size]
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

traveller wrote:
are you coming BTW ??
to the BB ? yep. I will travel with Tim and arrive friday late afternoon in nottingham. I ´m quite busy to repair my team and to finish my dugout. And just this weekend we will get a guest from Southafrica... argh, i need more time ! :roll: :wink:

Traveller
I meant Babs actually .. I already knew you would be trying to get best painted team trav ;-)

can't wait to meet for a bit longer than 3 minutes ..

traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

I already knew you would be trying to get best painted team trav
nope, Dave, the " best painted times " for my orc team are over ... as i could see at the Dungeonbowl ... not even nominated :roll: I just want to get all possible painting points for the minis at the BB as i knew, i will loose the most games anyway :wink:

I have to convert a new team. Maybe next year ... :wink:

Yep, i hope, we got a bit more time to talk this time :)

Traveller

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

I'd like a game of streetball on a famous pitch :D

traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

argh, i still have to figur out, how i will transport my stuff. Maybe my team into the Streetbow suitcase ... but where i put my dugout ? And how i transport back all the stuff i will buy ? :roll: serious questions... :wink:

Hey, i never played StreetBowl.... just build a pitch, took a lot of picts and send them to GW for the next Fanatic magazin :wink:

Traveller

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

traveller wrote:And how i transport back all the stuff i will buy ? :roll: serious questions... :wink:
That's easy. give it to me, i'll smuggle it over the border, then give it back (Troll, which Troll ... you bought a Troll? Did you give me that?)

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

That's easy. give it to me, i'll smuggle it over the border, then give it back
Hm, Tim, seems, i have to " bribe " you before with the Heresy Coach mini... :wink:

Traveller

Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

they look great Babs. :D
how did you get the skin tone to come out, I've tried and can never get it.

ImageImage
kadu-c

Post by kadu-c »

Great job Babs ! :D
I love this very pure colour scheme.

Now I have to finish my Shadowforge Elves too... :roll:

Play Beach Bowl !!! :D (LRB 6 update)

NAF World Cup 2007 3rd place team
EuroBowl 2010 French Captain
Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

Looks great! I LOVE the skin tone. It really works. Quite striking.

http://www.impactminiatures.com
Babs
Super Star
Super Star

More piccies

Post by Babs »

Here are some more piccies, as promised:

People have the right idea - although the variations to the skin tone is still not coming out as I'd like to show it. It must be too subtle for the camera(?). The last photo is to show you some of the hair colours I used for variety. You can get some idea of the gradation of skin tone on the models in real life by looking at the legs of the cheerleader in the last photo and the abs of the blitzer in the second last photo, but the reflections of the lighting and the washing out of the photo (is my background hindering still?) mutes it.

There's still a little bit of blur in the photos too. Annoying! I'd love to get my photos more crisp like lots of other people seem to be able to do (hints?). I think I might need to just take the photo from further back and crop more rather than resize once I've taken the photo. Because of that fact, my group shots are clearer than my closeups of one miniature. Must remember that.

If anyone wants any more photos/shots of anything let me know and I'll try to post it within a week.

The idea for the team was loosely based on my favourite Eldar colour scheme - Ulthwe. The helmets and pads are meant to be made out of bone. I used the colour scheme for the Eldar Dreadnaught and other pieces from that army with that colour scheme as reference material. The idea was to make them look 'tribal' hence the team name which won Leviathan 'Tribal Groove' . However the apothecary with her dancing pose and flowerbasket is meant to be a spoof on pansy elves (thanks, Neil!), and the head coach has a clipboard, headmike and stopwatch (and the ref(which is actually the assistant coach model) has a headmike too).

=-) Babs (crotchety old, washed up has-been)
ex-BBRC member
ex-NAF AUS/NZ Tournament organiser

Make sure you have read the Feudball Novel.
traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

Hm, i showed my girlfriend the picts and she said " Babs " must be a woman ! No man could paint like this... :roll: Quite a compliment from her :wink:

Thanks for the detail picts. Maybe i will steal , ehm, try to repeat the white cloths for another team.

Traveller

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

I fancied doing this sceme before too, for my Orcs most likely ..

headcoach Bobby Robs Hisson

Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

Wow those pics really show off the team even more, amazing job Babs definatly deserving of the awards. :D

ImageImage
Emberbreeze
Super Star
Super Star

Re: More piccies

Post by Emberbreeze »

Babs wrote: Image

<snip>

There's still a little bit of blur in the photos too. Annoying! I'd love to get my photos more crisp like lots of other people seem to be able to do (hints?). I think I might need to just take the photo from further back and crop more rather than resize once I've taken the photo. Because of that fact, my group shots are clearer than my closeups of one miniature. Must remember that.
I can give you some of my limited photgraphy knowledge

The first pic is simply out of focus, you were probably too close and the camera couldn't focus any closer (I assume it is autofocus)

Same with the second

the third one looks spot on to me. what are you using for lighting?

next pic the one on the left is abit out of focus, this is simply because it is closer and the camera apature is wide open giving a really shallow depth of field

there isn't any noticable depth of field effets on this one. where you further away? this would increase it.

over all the pics are more than good enough to show off your excellent painting skills :)

Also if you are having difficulty showing off the subtle skin tones then try not to use direct lighting. Sunlight on a cloudy day is probably the best, but desk lights bouncing off a wall nearby, or using something to defuse the light (hold some thin paper in front of the lamp, careful it doesn't get too hot!)

Also if your shooting digital for web use only most cameras have more than enough resolution that you can get away with serious cropping without harming the final picture

hope that helped

edit - one last tip, apply some light sharpening using any photo editing package especially if there has been any shrinking or blowing up of the picture