LRB 5 Starting League Rosters

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: LRB 5 Starting League Rosters

Post by Khail »

Interesting results but I agree with Matt - I think your premise is flawed. Just because Weres are the reason you play Necro doesn't mean you can't build into them if it's more efficient.

Wardancers are (arguably) the reason you play Wood Elves - would you discount any starting roster that didn't include 2 of them as un-viable?

Reason: ''
Commissioner of the Cascadia Blood Blowl League
Bellingham, WA USA
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Well, *shrug*, the assumptions are there because most people don't put them in.... One of the six that people might not agree with, for another instance, is that you need to build to 4 rerolls and all positionals.... Someone might be comfortable with 3 (especially if you build a surehands, or two, player) and might think that it's not worth protecting a second ghoul... so build only one....

Given that they are my opinions based on listed assumptions....

As they say, "Ymmv"....

And, the reason people play elves is an inability to avoid the darker and lazier nature of the human psyche....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Spasmbot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Spasmbot »

A Slaan roster I've been considering running,

3 TRR 150
3 Blitzers 330
2 Catchers 160
6 Linos 360

1 mil exactly

The reasoning on trying to start with as many blitzers as possible is that catchers will hog SPP's and the blitzers are the driving force behind the Slaan defense. First buy is the apoth, followed by saving for the krox. after that it should be the 4th blitzer and then add in catchers. Thankfully 6 linos is probably going to be too many so if you take some deaths or bad stat downs there you can run on journeymen for a while.

Ullis
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ullis »

Spasmbot wrote: 3 TRR 150
3 Blitzers 330
2 Catchers 160
6 Linos 360

1 mil exactly
I like:

4 rerolls 200
2 blitzers 220
2 catchers 160
7 linos 420

The starting point is having enough rerolls to make the team work as 3 rerolls just doesn't cut it for a starting slann team. The starting team can make use of the death from above cage breaking tactic well against other rookie teams but only if the frogs have enough rerolls. Having 4 catchers would probably be more effective right out of the gate but starting with two blitzers is fun and two diving tacklers can be a real pain against agile teams. Plus I think the blitzers really come to their own after getting a few skills on them and you can start getting spp's on them if you have them on the starting roster. Adding blitzers at start brings nothing to the team since they don't have any useful skills such as Block and longer term the team can function with just two blitzers so with some little luck you don't need to buy any more blitzers ever. Two catchers is enough for a solid offence at start and protecting two catchers is quite easy.

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

I was wondering if there isn't a third viable option for starting a Chaos Dwarf team:
a variant of the 4 RR setup:
1 Bull Centaur
5 Chaos Dwarf Blocker
6 Hobgoblins
4 Rerolls
0 FF

But this time with 6 dwarves and only 11 players:
1 Bull Centaur
6 Chaos Dwarf Blocker
4 Hobgoblins
4 Rerolls
0 FF
10k Cash for the Apoth

I believe both set-ups are good but since the blockers develop so slow it is better to have them all 3 games earlier (At 40k average win per game). This brings the chances to land a MVP on a Blocker up by 3/11th just a little more that 1/4th.
I am presuming here that everyone wants 6 blockers on their team.
After the apoth I would start saving up for the second Bull.

Oly1987
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Oly1987 »

I decided to try an alternative human roster on fumbbl on ranked but I think it could apply to a large or perpetual league

1 ogre
4 blitzers
1 thrower
5 linemen

3 rerolls
30 for ff or save for apo

I personally find linemen hard level skill and having no catchers forces you to score with linemen and blitzers. Bar from having to replace some players early on I've been rather pleased with how things have turned out. After 6 games I have:

1 accurate thrower
3 block linemen
3 guard blitzers
1 +ag, guard blitzer

And the ogre has 4spp (no mvp for him yet)

Gonna see how they develop after a few more games and might use the same roster in a league

4 catchers and a thrower with hail mary pass, what could possibly go wrong?
Pakulkan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pakulkan »

I am shocked about people considering to play human with 3 blitzers or Chaos Dwarves with a single Centaur.

Is it usual? Never seen in a spanish league...

GREEN DOG FIGURINES

Follow us also in Facebook...
Oly1987
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Oly1987 »

I'd never take a human team with less than max blitzers

4 catchers and a thrower with hail mary pass, what could possibly go wrong?
Pakulkan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pakulkan »

Oly1987 wrote:I'd never take a human team with less than max blitzers
That's it. I think this is a natural law...

GREEN DOG FIGURINES

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

El_Jairo wrote:I was wondering if there isn't a third viable option for starting a Chaos Dwarf team:
1 Bull Centaur
6 Chaos Dwarf Blocker
4 Hobgoblins
4 Rerolls
0 FF
10k Cash for the Apoth.
I did this. It's working okay, 3-2-0, including some games against vastly superior teams. I would probably do 3RR and both Bulls if I had it to do over.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Pakulkan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pakulkan »

A-ha. I never played Chaos Dwarves but I played against them many times. I felt bull centaurs were the most important player of the team, most annoying for sure. Guys with ST4 and an effective MO of 7.

In leagues, you want both to improve them ASAP. Break Tackle and Block

In tourneys, you already have them improved usually (Break Tackle). Unless the don't have block, most of the team already had, saving RR for the Bull Centaur blitz.

Just two comments because I would not suggest human roster with 3 blitzers nor chaos dwarves with a single BC. Even if they worked, my sense is that they would work better with the full positionals.

GREEN DOG FIGURINES

garion

Post by garion »

mattgslater wrote:
El_Jairo wrote:I was wondering if there isn't a third viable option for starting a Chaos Dwarf team:
1 Bull Centaur
6 Chaos Dwarf Blocker
4 Hobgoblins
4 Rerolls
0 FF
10k Cash for the Apoth.
I did this. It's working okay, 3-2-0, including some games against vastly superior teams. I would probably do 3RR and both Bulls if I had it to do over.
What do you need 4 RR for in a chaos dwarf team?

You will probably still do fine with that roster, but that is just because Chaos Dwarves are simply amazing. But you want your BCs from the start so you can get them block, BT and one with SH asap - 2BC, 6 CDs, 3 hobos 2 RR which is a TV of 980. you never really need more than 2 RR for chaos dwarves, and maybe a leader one later.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Really short format, no interest on W/L balance, knew I'd have to cut players after a few games. Extenuating circumstances. Even so, wouldn't do it again.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Pakulkan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pakulkan »

I would suggest a change in human, chaos dwarf, necromantic and orc teams 1M.

Definetly, these are not the best rosters not only IMO, but also in the mind of almost all the spaniards. If you care about it, of course. :wink:

GREEN DOG FIGURINES

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Pakulkan wrote:I would suggest a change in human, chaos dwarf, necromantic and orc teams 1M.

Definetly, these are not the best rosters not only IMO, but also in the mind of almost all the spaniards. If you care about it, of course. :wink:
Well at the start of the thread Fen does state that the old one was out of date for LRB5. However since we are on lrb6 (crp) now maybe there should be a new thread updated to represent the experience coaches have with the newest ruleset and the changes made, particularily to teams such as Khemri, Undead, Dwarfs and Necros that did get price changes.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.