LRB 5 Starting League Rosters

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

UncleBob
Veteran
Veteran

Post by UncleBob »

Chaos Dwarf

I made the experience that Chaos Dwarf is doing fine with only 4 Blockers. My game is mainly run by the Bull Centaurs and Hobgoblins using the blockers just as towers to mark and assist. On top, it makes the team a bit cheaper.
So I would start with:

5 Hobgoblins
4 Blockers
2 Bull Centaurs
3 Re-Rolls
1 Apothecary

When having players with costs of 100.000 or higher (three or more matches needed to replace them) I really want an Apo.

Goblins and Halflings
I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but when playing such a team I always keep 100.000 in cash, to get inducements from the start or to be able to buy them (chef and bribes in common). With such teams I guess you'll need every advantage you can get.
These are also the only teams where I believe a Fan-Factor of 5 is to recommend as they might have problems to gain some by winning. But more than 5 is too easy to loose, therefore wasted money.

Reason: ''
Carnis
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Carnis »

No Slann starter in here, though it's added in LRB5 now.

Slann Team with Kroxi:

1x Kroxigor 140k
3x Catcher 240k
7x Liner 420k
3x RR + apoth 200k (or if you're in good relations with nuffle, 4x RR)
1million

Buy 4th catcher asap then load up on linemen or a single blitzer if you like him & have time to develop.

No Krox:
4x Catcher 320k
8x Liner 480k
4x RR 200k

Don't see a point in the blitzers before block/dodge, so none needed for the start. The catchers are really weak (AV7 & ST2) so they need dodge/block asap & comping/scoring with them is fairly easy.

None of the nurgle teams could spend all their cash, I might aim at an even 1m for them as well:

Alternative Nurgle setup:

1x Beast 140k
3x Warrior 330k
1x Pestigor 80k
6x Rotter 240k
3x RR 210k

The pestigors are key to nurgle play, but they are just as weak as rotters in the first games (with just 1 MA inc, only need 1 horns in a team), but cost twice as much. Imo it's better to start with high # of rotters/warriors and load up the pestigors as you go. Finally fielding the tentacles & 3 st4 guys will be annoying for a lot of 1000k rating teams.

Anglachel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Anglachel »

Just my two cents for the Dark Elves...

The following rosters were proposed recently in a thread of the Spanish Blood Bowl forum. As you can see, there are some less conservative variants that are interesting nonetheless.

1) The conservative classic roster:

3 Blitzers
1 Witch
7 Linemen

1 RR 1 Medic

2) The "no-medic" alternative:

3 Blitzers
1 Witch
7 Linemen

2 RR

3) The "Who dares, wins." roster.

3 Blitzers
2 Witches
1 Runner
5 Linemen

1 RR

4) The 4 Blitzer alternative for the above one

4 Blitzers
1 Witch
1 Runner
5 Linemen

1 RR, 10,000 left in treasury for the medic, or 1 FF.

Johnny Blade
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Johnny Blade »

I really think Dark Elves should max out on Blitzers and never go below 4. Yeah, it's pretty boring, but I consider getting a good amount of Block and Re-roll skills to be vital for all teams, especially for those who can't afford many Team Re-rolls.

I also think that starting with a Runner is important, as it gives you a prime candidate for Sure Hands, which further reduces TRR reliance.

I've never started with only one TRR, to be honest, but I guess that says a thing or two about my stance on this. :wink:

Overall, I'd say

4 Blitzers
1 Runner
6 Linemen
2 Re-rolls

is the way to go.

First thing to purchase is an Apo, then you start saving up for the Witches.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Starting Necromancer League Team

Post by Digger Goreman »

Revamped a (very) little in light of present cost break on Golems:
Digger Goreman wrote:A very successful team for me.... Necromantic:

5x Zombies
2x Flesh Golems
2x Wights
2x Werewolves
2x Rerolls
40k in treasury for first ghoul.

One Zombie should get Kick as soon as possible, while the rest get Block and Dauntless to deal with 4&5 St opponents... Guard on doubles....
Set up when Kicking
Note: this will NOT work against Throw Team Mate! :lol:
Digger Goreman wrote: 5x Zombies
2x Ghouls
2x Wights
2x Werewolves
3x Rerolls
30k treasury for next purchase

This lineup increases speed at the cost of muscle.... Ghouls set back for the kickoff, while Weres and Wights pair forward to blitz out the opposition and possibly receive the handoff.... At least one Ghoul should go Sure Hands, Kick Off Return and Block.... The other: Block, Catch and Sidestep.... This way you could move the ball up to 3/4 of the field by way of a Sure Hands Ghoul handing off/short passing to a Catch Ghoul who hands off to a Werewolf (if absolutely necessary).... Stick with higher odds plays and keep reroll opportunities to a minimum.... Score quickly with this lineup and use your Kick Zombie to place the ball for Were/Wight blitz turnovers....
Skarsnikk & Mattgslater's suggestion is, indeed, viable:
2 x Golems
2 x Werewolves
2 x Wight
1 x Ghoul
4 x Zombie
2 x RR
10k Banked

Puts awesomeness up front (all your best hitters are hitting) and the ghoul fields the kick-offs.... Provides a spare zombie as soon as you buy the second ghoul.... Skill up your first zed as a kicker! (I haven't been doing this, lately, and am suffering for it....)

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I'm falling in love with this Orc roster:

4 Black Orcs
4 Blitzers
1 Thrower
1 Goblin
1 Troll
2 Re-Rolls
10k banked

This list kicks booty. Two BOBs and a Troll constitute perhaps the nastiest d-line (GC-for-GC) in the game, and this team has lots of 2TTD potential to boot. The Goblin makes a scary safety on a team that doesn't need him to throw blocks, and combos well with the Troll in all sorts of ways (TTM is obvious, but the Gob is great for negating Really Stupid and engineering 3d blocks with the Troll). Moreover, all the ST4 and Block/S access on the team makes it hard for opponents to get their Tackle players on him, making Goblins on Orc teams much less vulnerable than you'd think.

In a long format, or other format which encourages buying skill players on elf teams rather than starting with them, I've had great luck with lino-heavy elf rosters, with 8-10 linos and 3-4 TRRs.

@ Digger: 100k FGs, right? That should leave you with 40k, which is enough to upgrade a Zombie to a Ghoul....

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Lictor
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Lictor »

Alternate Khemri LRB 5.0

4x Mummies
1x Blitz-Ra
1x Throw-Ra
5x Skeletons
3x Re-Rolls

40K in bank for 6th Skelly or save for positionals.

This is the line up I am taking for my league soon, I am not thrilled by the suggestions in the first post that ignore either Block or Sure Hands entirely. So I am going for some pretense of balance :lol:

Laurent
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Laurent »

mattgslater wrote:I'm falling in love with this Orc roster:

4 Black Orcs
4 Blitzers
1 Thrower
1 Goblin
1 Troll
2 Re-Rolls
10k banked

This list kicks booty. Two BOBs and a Troll constitute perhaps the nastiest d-line (GC-for-GC) in the game, and this team has lots of 2TTD potential to boot. The Goblin makes a scary safety on a team that doesn't need him to throw blocks, and combos well with the Troll in all sorts of ways (TTM is obvious, but the Gob is great for negating Really Stupid and engineering 3d blocks with the Troll). Moreover, all the ST4 and Block/S access on the team makes it hard for opponents to get their Tackle players on him, making Goblins on Orc teams much less vulnerable than you'd think.
I like it very much. Thanks. :smoking:

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Re: LRB 5 Starting League Rosters

Post by Smurf »

We play with the uncoupled FF. It does not add.

WE

2 Wardancers
2 Catchers
1 Thrower
6 Lineelves
1 Apoth

More than enough for WE to get on and build.

Chaos
1 Minotaur
4 Chaos Warriors
6 Beastmen
1 Reroll

Tricky Line up but more suitable for League play. Depending on the League either save up for more rerolls and then get more players.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Piousman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Piousman »

Haven't seen this posted here. I had good success with:
4x Blitzers
4x Black Orc Blockers
1 Thrower
2 Linorcs
3 RR
10k banked for Apoth.

Next purchases (in this order) were Gobbo and Troll. 2-3 Blitzers got Guard as first skill, and paired up with BoBs.

- Piousman

Emiliakus
Rookie
Rookie

Re:

Post by Emiliakus »

Carnis wrote:No Slann starter in here, though it's added in LRB5 now.

Slann Team with Kroxi:

1x Kroxigor 140k
3x Catcher 240k
7x Liner 420k
1million

Buy 4th catcher asap then load up on linemen or a single blitzer if you like him & have time to develop.

No Krox:
4x Catcher 320k
8x Liner 480k
4x RR 200k

Don't see a point in the blitzers before block/dodge, so none needed for the start. The catchers are really weak (AV7 & ST2) so they need dodge/block asap & comping/scoring with them is fairly easy.
I prefer this Slann roster:

2 blitzers
3 Catchers
7 liners
2 rrs
20k Banked (in next game you have the apoth)

The blitzers versus elves and fast races are annoying and I think that the fast movement is necessary in this team.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Re: Re:

Post by mattgslater »

This
Carnis wrote:1x Kroxigor 140k
3x Catcher 240k
7x Liner 420k
1million

4x Catcher 320k
8x Liner 480k
4x RR 200k
over this.
Emiliakus wrote:2 blitzers
3 Catchers
7 liners
2 rrs
20k Banked
Blitzers are really cool, but they're something to aspire to. I'd consider taking 1 to start if I weren't a Krox fan, but you really, really need 3-4 TRRs with this roster. More likely, I'd take an Apoth so I could just hoard cash and hire Blitzers. The #4 Catcher can wait until he has some support; I want to buff everybody, so I don't want too many top-notch outlets too early.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
mattgslater
King of Comedy

Re:

Post by mattgslater »

Mootaz wrote:Pro Elves 1 Mil:
2 Blitzers
1 Catcher
8 Linemen
4 Rerolls
I've slowly gravitated to the conclusion that in a perpetual (or just long) league, this is a great, great roster. The one thing I do differently is drop the 4th TRR for an Apothecary, in case anything happens to a positional (and to justify hiring positionals as soon as I can afford them). In a shorter format I still like two Catchers and a Thrower, with only 6 Linemen and no Apothecary.

Pro Elves 1 Mil perpetual:
2 Blitzers
1 Catcher
8 Linemen
Apothecary
3 Re-Rolls

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

(Necromancer) Sins of the Flesh (Golem)

Post by Digger Goreman »

I used my team spreadsheet to do some number crunching and what I got was quite interesting....

First the assumptions:
1) The only reason to play Necros, and not Undead, is Werewolves... therefore, all teams have 2x Weres....
2) Flesh Golems are only useful in pairs, either as Wingers, Ends or outside linebackers.... A single FG makes a poor Middle Linebacker and is wasted on the LOS... where he'll likely be stuck....
3) A Necro team is greatly defined by how many rerolls they have at inception....
4) Unable to control most variables in winning, winnings are assumed to be an average of 35000/game....
5) FF is 0 in all cases, and is "banked" towards purchases of full positionals and 4 rerolls....
6) There are no casualties/replacement purchases.... :roll:

4 ReRoll Teams:

4a) The Second Most Efficient
6x Zombies
2x Ghouls
1x Wight
2x Werewolves
Average Games to Full Positionals and 4 Rerolls: 8.57

4b)
7x Zombies
2x Wight
2x Werewolves
Average Games to Full Positionals and 4 Rerolls: 10.29

3 ReRoll Teams

3a)
5x Zombies
2x Ghouls
2x Wight
2x Werewolves
Average Games to Full Positionals and 4 Rerolls: 9.42

3b)
6x Zombies
1x Wight
2x Flesh Golems
2x Werewolves
Average Games to Full Positionals and 4 Rerolls: 10.57

3c)
6x Zombies
1x Ghouls
2x Flesh Golems
2x Werewolves
Average Games to Full Positionals and 4 Rerolls: 10.57

3d)
7x Zombies
1x Ghouls
2x Wight
2x Werewolves
Average Games to Full Positionals and 4 Rerolls: 11.71

2 ReRoll Teams

2a)
4x Zombies
2x Ghouls
1x Wight
2x Flesh Golems
2x Werewolves
Average Games to Full Positionals and 4 Rerolls: 10.29

2b)
7x Zombies
2x Ghouls
2x Wight
2x Werewolves
Average Games to Full Positionals and 4 Rerolls: 13.71

1 Reroll Team

1a) Believe it or not, the most efficient!
3x Zombies
2x Ghouls
2x Wight
2x Flesh Golems
2x Werewolves
Average Games to Full Positionals and 4 Rerolls: 6.00

N.B., this is all based on efficiencies of accounting numbers.... Use it if it's useful, ditch it if it's not....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Hmmm. The main reason to play Dark Elves over High Elves is the Witch Elves. But most DE teams start with no more than one Witch. Have you ever started just one Were and built into the second one? The extra cash would let you get two Ghouls and bank 20k, so two good games will get you your Were.