New to Chaos Dwarves...question about team development

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Artificial Penguin
Experienced
Experienced

New to Chaos Dwarves...question about team development

Post by Artificial Penguin »

Here's how I started my team:
1 BC
6 CD Blockers
4 Hobgoblins
4 RR (woohoo!)
9 FF

Since then, I've gone 1-2, but have earned tons of money. Enough that after my 3 games I have added:
1 Hobgoblin
an Apothecary
1 Bull Centaur (#2)

Actually, the second Bull Centaur hasn't been bought yet, but I have exactly 130k in the treasury, and he seemed appropriate. I realize that I also have the choice of the Troll/Ogre, but I'm a very control-oriented player (don't like too much of the unexpected, though this IS Blood Bowl), so I wanted a guy who could use Rerolls.

What I'm wondering is whether you veteran CD players recommend the second Bull Centaur or something else?

Also, what would you go for next in terms of purchases?

Thanks in advance folks 8)

Reason: ''
I'm a bubble in a sound wave
A sonic push for energy
Exploding like the sun
A flash of clean light hope

For Blood Bowl in Seattle, check out the Game Wizard in Ballard (www.game-wizard.com).
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Bull centaur, no question. Chaos dwarves aren't allowed ogres, so if i were you i'd start considering whether you want to go with a troll or a minotaur for your next purchase. It's an important decision which will affect your team greatly. They're two completely different kinds of big guys but whichever you take will become a crucial part of your team. The question is, do you want the big guy on the line or as a free safety?

Artificial Penguin
Experienced
Experienced

Well, as I said before, I'm very control-oriented, so I'd be tempted to go for a Troll over a Minotaur. That being said, I'm also a defensively-oriented player--I really enjoy trying to shut down my opponent. And I suspect a Minotaur would be more helpful in that regard.

Thanks for the validation on choosing a BC first...I'm excited to see how my team does now.

I did forget to mention that I've never yet tried a Blunderbuss 8) I'm sort of eager to see how that goes. This is a side league, where wins/losses aren't a huge deal, and the goal is to experiment. So I may just go for the rifle and see what happens...

A sonic push for energy
Exploding like the sun

For Blood Bowl in Seattle, check out the Game Wizard in Ballard (www.game-wizard.com).
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Bull Centaur - definitely the best player on a BC roster. Give them break tackle first.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Artificial Penguin
Experienced
Experienced

Break Tackle AHEAD of Block, Ian? That freaks me out a little. What do you tend to use them for on offense and defense?

For me, they're obvious blitzers, but for that I'd want Block.

A sonic push for energy
Exploding like the sun

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

well a blitzer is more useful if he can move away from one player to blitz the other player you want a blitz on

ag2 kinda limits that, depends how your opponent uses tactical placement of players to hold the other team in position

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Artificial Penguin wrote:Break Tackle AHEAD of Block, Ian? That freaks me out a little. What do you tend to use them for on offense and defense?

For me, they're obvious blitzers, but for that I'd want Block.
Its far too easy to tie up a BC with a cheap lineman when they only have block. Break Tackle makes them mobile and gives them a decent shot at getting to a ball carrier. You can always burn a reroll on the hit and BC's with Break Tackle tend to get a lot of TDs as they become pretty much unstoppable.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Artificial Penguin
Experienced
Experienced

Well this is what comes from me only playing them in 3 games :oops:

I suppose since I should already have the strength advantage, Break Tackle will mean more to me than Block.

You guys will make a good coach of me yet :wink:

A sonic push for energy
Exploding like the sun

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

I always give them block first. Actually, one of my bull centaurs has 3 upgrades now and still no break tackle (frenzy, block and piling on, next will be either mighty blow or tackle), and the other one has 2 and no break tackle either (stand firm, block, and break tackle should be next).

Both rolled a double as their first skill and both sucked until they could get to their second and finally get block. But now they're great and very reliable.

I don't find it hard at all freeing one of the bull centaurs for a blitz. There are usually chaos dwarves around them, so it's easy to free them with a couple of blocks if they get tied up. Besides, with piling on, who's gonna stand next to this guy? If absolutely nothing can be done to free one with blocks, it's always possible to dodge out at 4+ with a reroll. I've done it a couple of times and it's not as hard as it sounds. And then they get to blitz using their block skill!

Forget what the other two said and go with block.

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

From what u have said Penguin i would get the BC followed by the troll.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
zeroalpha
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zeroalpha »

I would go with the BC and then worry about a big guy later on. As for the skill discussion, i would favour block over break tackle. Even though you have a ST 4 player, block is always usefull

nkelsch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nkelsch »

I don't know... While a minotaur is risky... the 'Horns/Multiple Block/dauntless' combo is a worthy goal to work torwards. Without much work, you can get him to there and you have the ability to punch a hole through just about any line. You just have to keep your minotaur protected with a sidekick so they don't 'trap' him with wild animal and frenzy.

I find trolls the 'I can't afford anything better' big guy. Agility 1 and really stupid are much more frustrating than Wild animal since you can at least protect yourself from wild animal and you are guaranteed his action every turn.

If worried to much, get your minotaur pro or leader so he has a reroll

Artificial Penguin
Experienced
Experienced

Good points about the mino, thanks. To me, he requires the same investment as a troll: one player standing near him, in this case to prevent having to throw disadvantage blocks by taking away tackle zones.

Bottom line is I'm definitely doing the 2nd BC first. After that, who knows. Maybe it'll depend on which fig (Troll or Minotaur) I can get painted *well* first. 8)

A sonic push for energy
Exploding like the sun

nkelsch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nkelsch »

A Minotaur with 'Tentacles' is also completely wrong... :)

Give him that and then defensive skills like stand firm and block, and speedy/dodgy teams will be terribly upset.

It makes it close to impossible for most models to dodge away from his tackle zones. (str 5 + D6 VS mostly str 3 + d6) Most players won't want to put any models anywhere close to him since they will never get away and that helps to protect him from being 'trapped'

Artificial Penguin
Experienced
Experienced

Well the imagery of a giant Minotaur with tentacles waving about is enough to make me almost soil myself with fear. I know I wouldn't go anywhere near it :-?

A sonic push for energy
Exploding like the sun