Half Block PBeM tournament

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Half Block PBeM tournament

Post by Joemanji »

In response to this thread, I would like to run a quick PBeM to test the idea of splitting Block into two components, just to get a feel for it. So as not to muddle the affair too much, it would only split Block in two, not any other skills.

Since this change would mainly be aimed at effecting teams later in their TV development, and to encourage more interesting skill picks, I thought it might be best to create established teams, say 140 TV. No Inducements. To keep some kind of realism let's say your normal Improvements must outnumber the doubles and no stat increases.

The tournament would use a format similar to the Gore Grail, with small groups playing games simultaenously.

The change would be as follows:

Block (General Skill)
A player may use Block to stay on their feet if your opponent selects a Both Down result when someone throws a block at them.

Sack (General Skill)
A player may use Sack to stay on their feet if you select a Both Down result when throwing a block.

I'm thinking that Dwarfs, CDs and Zon Blitzers keep Block, and everyone else who starts with Block replaces it with Sack. This is open to negotiation / suggestions.

This won't be supported by the PBeM Tool, so you'll need to make a manual roll every so often.

Who's interested? :)

Cheers
Joe

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I'm going to float this as it may have got lost during the world cup weekend. :wink:

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

I like it, but won't have time to play until WWC2 is over (in roughly 2 months).
Problem is that the impact of the rule won't show fully until teams have started getting at least a handful of skills.

But I love your names for the split skill, i.e. Block and Sack. (Block always sounded so defensive - kind of like parry).

Cheers
Martin

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

plasmoid wrote:I like it, but won't have time to play until WWC2 is over (in roughly 2 months).
Problem is that the impact of the rule won't show fully until teams have started getting at least a handful of skills.
Cheers Martin, yeah that's why I suggested using TV140 teams, otherwise the change will not be that great.

Joe

Mad Jackal
Shaggy

Post by Mad Jackal »

Joe.

I'm not sure what my time will be like, or anything, but drop me a pm or e-mail when you kick this back up.

I'll likely give it a go. Which skill do my WarDancers get ?

:D

Impact! Miniatures Forum
Impact! Miniatures
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."

Icepelt is my Hero.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Mad Jackal wrote:I'll likely give it a go. Which skill do my WarDancers get ?
Cheers Jack,

I reckon Sack (used when throwing a Block) fits best for Wardancers. What do you think?

I'm thinking Sack on everyone except Dwarf/CD Blockers. My only other borderline case is Norse. They might be too fragile without the protective part.

Mad Jackal
Shaggy

Post by Mad Jackal »

Joemanji wrote:
Mad Jackal wrote:I'll likely give it a go. Which skill do my WarDancers get ?
Cheers Jack,

I reckon Sack (used when throwing a Block) fits best for Wardancers. What do you think?

I'm thinking Sack on everyone except Dwarf/CD Blockers. My only other borderline case is Norse. They might be too fragile without the protective part.
I agree with Sack on the Dancer. You know that's the one I want. :D

Norse was my concern as well. To be honest, making them less attacking and use it as the defensive that it was may be the way to go. But frankly the team probably needs the other as the first skill anyway more than any team.

Impact! Miniatures Forum
Impact! Miniatures
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."

Icepelt is my Hero.