NAF Tournament in Ann Arbor, MI. Nov 23, 24 2002

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

I think the mandatory pen/pencil requirement is a bit unfair.

:lol:

Reason: ''
The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

I was thinking of adding tournament points for wearing NFL boxer shorts... so it was either that or the pencil.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

OK I have some non-smartass questions/comments now:

- How do the skill cards work?

- Wouldn't it be easier to list just your top 5 (or whatever) coaches for painting and sportsmanship?

neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

Anthony_TBBF wrote:OK I have some non-smartass questions/comments now:

- How do the skill cards work?
I'll have a large deck of cards that have things like "Normal Skill" "Doubles Roll" "+1 MV" on them. The proportions of each will match the rolls required to get them, so when you draw, you're most likely getting a normal skill, but there's some room for doubles.
- Wouldn't it be easier to list just your top 5 (or whatever) coaches for painting and sportsmanship?
Top 5? There's four rounds, and you have to order your opponents from those rounds. You can't pick you're best friend that you didn't play. This is very important, actually, because it means every coach get's a sampling of scores.

For example let's say I played Fred, Tom, Suzy, and Ted. My results might look like this:

Sportsmanship:
1st Tom
2nd Fred
3rd Suzy
4th Ted

Painting:
1st Suzy
2nd Tom
3rd Fred
4th Ted

After four rounds, Tom may have gotton four 1st places, thus netting him the highest possible sportsmanship award.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Ohhh I see, I misunderstood the ranking bit.

If we draw a stat upgrade we'd rather not have can we exchange it for a normal skill?

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Another question: can you recommend a hotel close by?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Anthony_TBBF wrote:Another question: can you recommend a hotel close by?
Ditto ... need to find someone to split cost with me on the room to maintain wife approval ... waiting to hear from TH if A) he can go and B) if he's willing to risk splitting a room with me.

So ya got any Red Roof or Motel 6s in the area John?

and what is the thoughts on bringing teams you didn't paint. I just don't have time to paint or someone like Anthony's skill so I have some teams which I didn't pick up the brushes for is that okay?

Finally JUST to make sure ... the LRB Undead is in play here right .. not the Necro, Khemri, Vampire trio?

Galak

neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Anthony_TBBF wrote:Another question: can you recommend a hotel close by?
Ditto ... need to find someone to split cost with me on the room to maintain wife approval ... waiting to hear from TH if A) he can go and B) if he's willing to risk splitting a room with me.

So ya got any Red Roof or Motel 6s in the area John?
Motel 6
3764 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
(734) 665-9900

Red Roof Inn University South
3505 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
800-733-7663

Both of these hotels are about 5-10 minutes from downtown. If you wanted something walking distance, it's going to cost a little more... but here's the visitor center web page.

http://www.annarbor.org/

and what is the thoughts on bringing teams you didn't paint. I just don't have time to paint or someone like Anthony's skill so I have some teams which I didn't pick up the brushes for is that okay?
You need not have painted your team, but the obvious care and love of a home painted team will obviously shine through. Your opponents are the one's that ranks you, not me. ;-)
Finally JUST to make sure ... the LRB Undead is in play here right .. not the Necro, Khemri, Vampire trio?
LRB Undead only. No Necro, no Khemri and for gods sakes no VAMPIRES!!

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

Anthony_TBBF wrote:Ohhh I see, I misunderstood the ranking bit.

If we draw a stat upgrade we'd rather not have can we exchange it for a normal skill?
Right. It's going to be like a dice roll. In fact the cards might have little dice on them to represent the roll, and then explain the effect.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

That's cool. So why the cards instead of die rolling?

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Ditto ... need to find someone to split cost with me on the room to maintain wife approval ... waiting to hear from TH if A) he can go and B) if he's willing to risk splitting a room with me.
Ok Ok so I'm a little slow answering emails today :) As I said to Tom before, maybe we should arrange for most of us coming from out of town to stay at the same motel. It would sure make the evenings more interesting. I'll know in a few days if I'm going for sure or not.

I was looking over the rules. Do the sportsmanship and painting points count towards who will win or lose or only towards a painting prize and a sportsmanship prize?

Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

Anthony_TBBF wrote:That's cool. So why the cards instead of die rolling?
I don't want to have to record the die rolls people make, either at a table or in a line. This is much easier. Also there's no messing around later, if you three cards, I can "see" the die rolls right there. You wont be changing them later, when I'm not looking. ;-)

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

TH.Lapin wrote: I was looking over the rules. Do the sportsmanship and painting points count towards who will win or lose or only towards a painting prize and a sportsmanship prize?
They count towards the overall winner.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

neoliminal wrote:They count towards the overall winner.
Well I've already lost then :cry: It's kinda sad to know that you've lost even before you show up to a tourney don't you think? It's your tourney John but it's pretty universally agreed that the worst thing about resurection was the sportsmanship and painting points. That I could win and then lose because I have a "substandard" paint job is pretty frustrating. :pissed:

Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

TH.Lapin wrote: Well I've already lost then :cry: It's kinda sad to know that you've lost even before you show up to a tourney don't you think? It's your tourney John but it's pretty universally agreed that the worst thing about resurection was the sportsmanship and painting points. That I could win and then lose because I have a "substandard" paint job is pretty frustrating. :pissed:
I'm confused. Did you plan on being a bad sport? ;-)

If you look at the points given for painting, you'll see that they are only a fraction of the points for a win. If you win convincingly (by more that 2 points and with more casualties), then you could probably win the tournament with an unpainted team.

Since your "substandard" paint job will probably be going up against other substandard paint jobs, you'll likely gather about average points. Remember that it's your opponents who are ranking your painting... not a judge. They will be ranking your team against the other 3 teams they played. If yours is better painted than those other three guys, you'll get the top points from that player.

The distribution will be fairly straight forward.

And one word about sportsmanship... If things came down to a tie, with two coaches winning the same amount of games, what would you rather have as the tie breaker, Sportsmanship or TD's? Personally I pick sportsmanship.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]