NAF Tournament in Ann Arbor, MI. Nov 23, 24 2002

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

neoliminal wrote:I'm confused. Did you plan on being a bad sport? ;-)
No I'm not. Well.. as long as I win :wink:
neoliminal wrote:Since your "substandard" paint job will probably be going up against other substandard paint jobs, you'll likely gather about average points.
Well if Anthony brings his Norse and if the gentlman from my league brings his norse, my team will look like it was painted by a four year old :) That's not to say I don't think they should bring their teams. On the contrary because I want to play against them. They do amazing work that I couldn't hope do duplicate in 10 years of trying. I just don't think it's fair to compare paint jobs for overall winner.
neoliminal wrote:Remember that it's your opponents who are ranking your painting... not a judge. They will be ranking your team against the other 3 teams they played. If yours is better painted than those other three guys, you'll get the top points from that player.
The only problem with that theory is that everyone has to be fair in judging their opponents. IMO that's open to a lot of abuse. Say someone wanted be be a real a$$ and gave everyone he played minimum points for both sportsmanship and painting. You can't argue against it, you've asked for his judgement. If his judgement is that he is better than everyone there....

neoliminal wrote:What would you rather have as the tie breaker, Sportsmanship or TD's? Personally I pick sportsmanship.
Personally I'd vote for TD's then casualties. Just because someone is a good sport doesn't mean they are a good coach.

Reason: ''
Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

TH.Lapin wrote:
Well if Anthony brings his Norse and if the gentlman from my league brings his norse, my team will look like it was painted by a four year old :) That's not to say I don't think they should bring their teams. On the contrary because I want to play against them. They do amazing work that I couldn't hope do duplicate in 10 years of trying. I just don't think it's fair to compare paint jobs for overall winner.
On the other hand, shouldn't Anthony get something for spending every waking hour painting?? :-)
The only problem with that theory is that everyone has to be fair in judging their opponents. IMO that's open to a lot of abuse. Say someone wanted be be a real a$$ and gave everyone he played minimum points for both sportsmanship and painting. You can't argue against it, you've asked for his judgement. If his judgement is that he is better than everyone there....
I think you've missed the way the system works. You play four opponents, and then you rank them 1-4. So in a hypothecal example, you played Me, Andy Hall, Anthony, and Jervis Johnson. You might end up ranking us as follows:

Sportsmanship
1st Jervis
2nd Andy
3rd Anthony
4th John

Painting:
1st Anthony
2nd Jervis
3rd Andy
4th John

That's it. You can't rank players you didn't play, and you have to rank everyone you did play. Very little abuse is possible with this system.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

I think the system will be OK, the wieghting of the painting points is low compared to sportsmanship (the way it should be), and compared to the scoreing over all I don't think it will be a huge factor.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

neoliminal wrote:On the other hand, shouldn't Anthony get something for spending every waking hour painting?? :-)
Most certainly. Absolutely. But painting ability and playing ability are two different things. They should have seperate awards. Someone who plays amazingly shouldn't be penalized for having no artistic ability. Now perhaps painted VS non-painted teams I can agree that there should be a reward for effort but if a guy honestly tried to paint why put him down for it?
I think you've missed the way the system works.
Ahh ok I missunderstood that but it still doesn't change my feelings towards lumping Painting and Sportsmanship in with winning or losing.

In the end it's your tournament and you have the right to run it however you wish. I wouldn't not attend a tournament because I disagree with a couple rules. That would be rather silly. I've yet to play with this system so if that's the way you go then so be it. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. There's a first time for everything :D

Brian St.James

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

Hey look at that I'm finally ranked "Experienced"

Brian St.James

neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

Seems like a good omen. You'll do well in the tournament.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Da Scum
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Da Scum »

Sounds reasonable enough, though what happens if most, if not the entire team is custom jobs? Oh sure their GW, just not the "regular" set of figures one uses for that particular team race?

And as for Sportsmanship...does that include making your opponent break into giggle fits watching you tear your incompetent goblin another hole for blowing yet ANOTHER dodge roll a la Ditka? If I'm playing a Goblin team it's coming complete with sound-effect and mandatory heckling of my own team. :smoking:

And it was NINE players, not Seven Anthony! It's just that the Wife accounted for seven of them...and the Norse STILL lost!

...just so I can get my butt handed to be by a sissy High Elf team. :roll:

Even the Goblin coach gets a +1 to injury rolls! Ow!
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Hope you colonial guys realise that (now Spiky's done and dusted), the eyes of Europe are upon you as the next big tourney....
NAF rankings? Can anybody say 'calculator'? :D
I'm gibbering at the potential K value of the Blood Bowl!

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Sigh, I just wish this bloody continent wasn't so big ;) I am jealous of all the cool tournaments you guys have over there! Oh well, we have the Underworld Cup and the Orion Cup and Fanticon next year (which reminds me, I haven't heard from Gregg in ages... anyone heard from him lately?).

Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Cervidal »

Ok... just who all is showing up?

I'm coming with my painted High Elves. You'll all finally see the might of the colorblind! HAHAHAHA!

No, seriously, they look pretty damned good.

Also... it'll be nifty to FINALLY attach faces to some of y'all.

As for the whole scoring system bit... John and I talked about it for a bit. I guarentee you that what he came up with to work painting and sportsmanship into the system is about the best idea I've ever heard. I specifically questioned about the weights of paint and sportsmanship and, really, the only way you'll have to worry about either is in a tight tie.

It's going to work. It's going to be fun. And I'd proclaim my superiority but I don't want it held against me come judging time. :lol:

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

Anthony_TBBF wrote:Oh well, we have the Underworld Cup and the Orion Cup and Fanticon next year ..
Hey don't forget I'm hosting the Death Bowl here in Montreal next June. Two days of Blood Bowl mayhem that will be decided by a four way blowout by the top four ranking players. I was going to have it at the beginning of June but it looks like it'll have to be closer to the end. My wife and I are expecting our second child and he/she is due to be born at the end of May. I could see it now.....

Me "..What's that dear...your water broke?.. Ok well grab a cab I'll be there as soon as the tournament is over." 8)

Her "You get your a$$ over here right now....." :pissed:

:lol: :lol:

At any rate I've confirmed that I'll be coming so now it's just a matter of the how and where. Neo, the tournament will be held over two days correct? What time do you want to get started on Saturday?

Brian St.James

neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

TH.Lapin wrote:At any rate I've confirmed that I'll be coming so now it's just a matter of the how and where. Neo, the tournament will be held over two days correct? What time do you want to get started on Saturday?
I believe it starts at 10, but I have to confirm this in the pre-reg book on the UCon site.

John

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

So how does the registration for UCon work? From their web site I gather that we pay the $15 to get into the Con and then $3 per round of Blood Bowl. I'm guessing that doesn't include the $10 for anyone who is interested in joining the NAF?

Hmm do you think they'll take Canadian money at par :D

Brian St.James

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

I was just reading through the blurb in the UCon Pre-registration book in PDF format from the UCon gaming web site. And I quote..
Players will travel from as far away as Montreal to compete with top US talent.
:o Top US talent ? :o

:wink: Dems fightin words pardner 8)

We'll just see where that trophy ends up after the tourney is over :lol:

Brian St.James

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Yeah but we all know the top US talent ain't all that good ;)