PBEM Tournament

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

if your about at the whole weekend you will need the time to play full matches anyway :p

Reason: ''
BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

Grumbledook wrote:if your about at the whole weekend you will need the time to play full matches anyway :p
Ah, good point... the problem is that, while I do have the time on the weekends, that's usually when I'm playing my other games.

Chris

At times like these I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "... I drank what?"
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Given that I will probably not be able to seriously consider sponsering this until August/September ... have to paint 60 minis for what I hope will be gate prizes for the GenCon Bowl ... Blanche ... ... you have time to try a game or two with the program first.

The new 2.4c Beta version is pretty d*mn slick for the format of play it is designed for. A professional developer was looking at it recently and wanted to know where the AI was ... but other than that ... he didn't really have too many holes to blow into it.

Again the other thing that you have to play in multiple leagues to appreciate is that the PBeM tool is all things to all leagues for its style of play. It handles the rules of Lustrian, MBBL2, MBBL, and REBBL all with ease despite those 4 leagues having VERY VERY different rules ... night and day really.

Galak

Galak

BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

Thank's Galak, I'll give the program a try soon.

Chris

At times like these I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "... I drank what?"
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Dark Lord wrote:I'm sorry, you are not a dimwit.
I'm sorry he's not a dimwit too. :wink:

Have fun!
tchatter
Super Star
Super Star

Post by tchatter »

Wow... I have missed quite a bit!!

Galak - on the public notification... good point. Hadn't thought of it that way, but it would give people that want to crack it a 'leg up'.

Back to NAF... I too paid $10 for a set of black dice. I don't mind as when I get the chance to play table top someday people will be amazed by them. As no one in my local area even knows about the NAF.

I agree with DL, that it would be great if the only official player's association for BB, the NAF, would have a tournament for the online contingency of their members. It would be interesting to see the stats of how many NAF members play primarily or exclusively online. I currently don't even show up on the rankings... not even at 150. It would be great if even that could happen, but it seems that even to be listed you have to play in at least 1 NAF tournament.

I do have one question and maybe Deathwing can answer it... what is the mission statement of the NAF? Why are they in existence and what are they trying to accomplish? (I am asking this in all seriousness)

The NAF formula has been posted here and I am actually using a version of it for the REBBL Challenge league next season. SO... DL, you will get an 'idea' of where you stack up Rating wise. BUT it obviously is a different beast then a tournament.

I would gladly help Galak, or anyone else that decides to run a PBEM tournament. I can help verify rosters, game files, rules questions, etc. I can also help in mailing out 'prizes'. I think that we would need to consider the cost of mailing prizes for such a tournament.

But again, what is the point of doing such a tournament if it doesn't get an official nod from the only organization, the NAF?? Couldn't they have a sub organization the NAFO, which could have a seperate ladder? And could hold 4 tournaments the year either the weekend before or after the Real Life tournaments. That way NAF members could play in both tournaments, and have 2 rankings, one online and one off.

Just my random thoughts before my drive home...

Tim

FUMBBL Coach name: tchatter
Ex-Commish of REBBL
Dark Lord (retired)

Post by Dark Lord (retired) »

You know, that's not a bad idea...an NAFO.... :?:

I don't have loads of spare time but I'd be willing to help out with something like that.

And Blanceprez if you want to try out the PBeM tool just email me a roster and I'll put together a game file.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I do have one question and maybe Deathwing can answer it... what is the mission statement of the NAF? Why are they in existence and what are they trying to accomplish? (I am asking this in all seriousness)
I don't really know how to answer this other than to refer you to the leading paragraph on the NAF frontpage (it's a better answer than I could give). I'll paste it here anyway:
"The NAF is an international association of players dedicated to Blood Bowl - Games Workshop's game of fantasy football. NAF's goal is to act as a central resource for Blood Bowl coaches the world over - offering news, contacts, discussion, sanctioned tournaments and international player rankings. Whether you're planning to run your own tournament, looking for a league, or just wanting to catch up on the latest from the world of Blood Bowl, NAF HQ aims to provide everything you'll need."

tchatter wrote: I currently don't even show up on the rankings... not even at 150. It would be great if even that could happen, but it seems that even to be listed you have to play in at least 1 NAF tournament.
Yes, and that's only correct. Rankings can go down as well as up, in fact both my personal rankings for Orcs and High Elves are below 150. That doesn't make me a worse coach with those races than every NAF member who's never coached them in a tournament, or indeed never coached them at all.
You'd also end up with a table consisting of few hundred ranks above 150, then a block of literally thousands of entries at 150, then a few hundred below 150.

But again, what is the point of doing such a tournament if it doesn't get an official nod from the only organization, the NAF?? Couldn't they have a sub organization the NAFO, which could have a seperate ladder? And could hold 4 tournaments the year either the weekend before or after the Real Life tournaments. That way NAF members could play in both tournaments, and have 2 rankings, one online and one off.
Just my thoughts here, and in no way official or anything, but...
The thing to remember here is that BB is first and foremost a minatures based boardgame. I appreciate the fact that many players only have the opportunity to play online, but you have to see the practicalities too. How would GW would feel about the NAF running an officially ranked ladder that would require use of freely available and totally unofficial tools/applications? GW legal could be all over the Pbem tool and Java like a rash right now, but so far have left them alone. Would they be so magnanimous should we go that route? It's a real can of worms, and has all kinds of implications. That said, I honestly don't know how it's going to go in the future, it may happen..

And the point of a TBB tournament would be for the fun of it and bragging rights. I think it's a brilliant idea.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Dark Lord (retired)

I can appreciate the boardgame side of it and I do play the board game!

I just feel sort of left out of the whole tournament thing. The coolest thing about playing PBeM is my weekly thrashing from Darkson who's like 1000's of miles away. Believe me I would love to meet you guys in person but it's probably never going to happen.
And I put up a thread once asking how many would come to Iowa for a tournament and I got like 4 coaches...hardly worth renting a hall is it?

PBeM isn't all I have but as far as playing people from other areas of the world, it is.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Maybe we could "unofficially" add in the rankings? :wink: :lol:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Dark Lord wrote:The coolest thing about playing PBeM is my weekly thrashing from Darkson who likes 100's of miles away.
Hey, come on, be fair, it's more like fortnightly :lol: :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Dark Lord (retired)

Nothing better than when somebody quotes a sentence you butchered. lol

Anyway should I start a poll to see how many would participate?
Heck if we got enough I might even throw in a prize or two...I have loads of 2nd edition minis laying around.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Slightly OT here, but there's a lot more US NAF members now than there was on TBB when you posted the Quad cities thread. With the way the tourney scene is going, I'd hazard a guess that you'd get a fair bit more interest on the NAF site now than when you originally posted here. Just a thought.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Dark Lord wrote:I can appreciate the boardgame side of it and I do play the board game!

I just feel sort of left out of the whole tournament thing. The coolest thing about playing PBeM is my weekly thrashing from Darkson who's like 1000's of miles away. Believe me I would love to meet you guys in person but it's probably never going to happen.
And I put up a thread once asking how many would come to Iowa for a tournament and I got like 4 coaches...hardly worth renting a hall is it?

PBeM isn't all I have but as far as playing people from other areas of the world, it is.
Dude, I'd come to your party!

OT, Why don't we get together so you can show me the ropes of PBeM. I downloaded the software eons ago but I've never played a match. Pop my cherry DL.

Have fun!
Dark Lord (retired)

Eeeeeew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :puke:

Well...ok. But you'll need the 2.4c version...and I'd also recomend Ronald Lokers team creater...a really nice tool!

Get them here and then shoot me an email with your team roster html.