Spikey - Piling On house rule?

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Would you like to see a house rule to tone down piling on at Spikey?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:50 pm

yes
50%
yes
No votes
no
50%
no
No votes

Total votes: 26

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Spikey - Piling On house rule?

Post by DoubleSkulls »

To remove any discussion from the main (official) Spikey thread.

Would you like to see a house rule to tone down piling on at Spikey? I've kept the Poll a simple yes/no as that's the most important issue. Exactly what the change is we can discuss within the thread.

Personally I'm in favour of just moving it before the Av roll. Its the smallest change that makes PO less of a no brain choice.

BTW I have no official capacity at Spikey - I'm just going and want PO changed.

Reason: ''
Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

Even if i disagree with some official rules, i dont agree with putting house rules in Open.
I agree with tourney rules but not change of rules (even if i like it). Not as long as it becomes official.
Because you have to warn everybody, this could be very difficult. And some players would have to change their team roster because they wanted to play PO.
I remenber a dwarf coach last year with 3 DP, that was annoying but that's the game. we need some players like that...

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I believe PO to be overpowered right now, and I'm a little tired of seeing and hearing of PO, PO and more PO at each and every tourney.
It's almost getting to the point where you have to think about taking DP as your first skill just to counter it regardless of race.
That said, I'm not so sure if I want a rule change for Spiky...when a strategy starts becoming predominant, there's usually a counter. When people start using the counter in enough numbers then the 'popular strategy' becomes less popular. (At the BB one of my opponent's chose to PO with a Saurus first turn of the game within range of my DP....assists...BOOT!..KO'd..he came back with 2 trns left in the game.)

Worth noting though that PO is odds on to revert to Pre-armour roll this October's Rules Review , also of interest is that Babs ruled that way for CanCon this year, so it's not without precedent.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

By my count, 3 BBRC members have gone on record as saying that it should be declared before.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

I think it should be toned down, but only if it is official. I actually like the declare before armour role.

I don't think it will be a good idea too have these type of house rules in a tournament like this.

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

Admittedly, I'm not attending, but I only see it as a problem if it isn't announced with enough lead time. It could be a deciding factor in what team someone might bring.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Relborn
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Relborn »

I think make it "use-before-Skill-roll" and make it an foul-similar action (without counting it as foul action, but let it beeing spottet by the ref like an foul action). Would tone it down to balance. Maybe a bit too far ... what do you think ?

The coach who recently won the inofficial 'most sexy male performer' award
Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

Personally I still wouldn't take PO in a tournament on a Big Guy; no Block and no RR is just to much of a risk for me. Last time I played against a PO ogre at a tournament, the fact that the ogre did not have block even meant that a single slayer could keep it down for an entire half (until in my 8th or 7th turn of the second half, my slayer got sent off for fouling the ogre; after spending 6 or 7 turns of frenzying against that monster, I felt that fouling was appropriate)
The ogre used his PO only once; but that did KO a slayer (in the 1st half).

I think changing PO to before the roll does not pose a large problem for a Str5 player; the chances of Breaking armour are still formidable. People who want to can still take a PO Ogre and let him use it every time; it will rarely happen that it is used without effect.

Furthermore I am of the opinion that in-game rules (rules that influence gameplay; not team building) should not be houseruled on open tournaments, unless really necessary.

I voted No (but I'm not coming to the tournament, so you might wanna ignore my vote here)

R

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I've seen a lot of Piling On - particularly on mummies, on big guys and on all the S4 players. I used it myself reasonably successfully at the Bearded Snot. 3 Piling On Black Orcs helped me to most casualties.

Its just :zzz: and really forces people to build teams to either do more damage back, neutralise it or take out the PO players.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I say change it for the tourney - it surely must be changed now in the official rules - all the Piling On Mummies and Wild Animals around must persuade the change to happen.

Dave

l_dauguet
Legend
Legend

Post by l_dauguet »

Hey ! Redfang! You're talking of my ogre! :evil: I agree on our match PO wasn't a good skill. :) But over the tournament PO was very efficient. I know it's a question of luck...but hey! I'm playing orcs anyway! :lol:

Next time I win !!!
Valen

Post by Valen »

Ian,

After seeing PO used so well at the Bearded Snot, I now have two PO mummies in our league, they are soooo fun!

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
ace2k00
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ace2k00 »

shurly its just a point of playing fairly.. yes PO should be declared before the dice roll and any good sport will do that anyway unless he forgets... however then surly they will thenask their opponent whether they can use the skill or not...

Just Remember to Have fun in you Games of Blood Bowl..... and its not a problem

Valen

Post by Valen »

The rule actually is that you can choose wether you want too use it after the dice roll, so it is nothing too do with sportsmanship I am afraid!

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

I ain't going to the spiky, but I do think PO should be declared the dice are rolled... I also think Interceptions should be rolled after the pass has been thrown, but what do I know... :roll:

At T5 this year skills are randomly allocated as they were last year. We all know that Tim will put PO on his Troll if he gets the chance, but the question is... will he get the chance?? :-? This should make for a bit more fun for the rest of us if nothing else... 8) :lol:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers