Most Popular / Successful Tournament teams

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Most Popular / Successful Tournament teams

Post by Joemanji »

I was looking at the top of the NAF rankings, and noticed how few races were represented there. Is this clear evidence that some races have a definite advantage in tournaments? Or merely anecdotal? It could just be that the better coaches have these teams in their collection, and that other would be as competitive if used as frequently.

Top 50
15 Undead
6 Wood Elf
6 Skaven
5 Amazon
4 Lizardman
4 Dwarf
3 Orc
3 Dark Elf
3 Norse
1 Chaos Dwarfs
1 Pro Elves

Top 100
24 Undead
15 Wood Elf
12 Skaven
10 Dwarf
7 Norse
7 Chaos Dwarfs
7 Orc
5 Amazon
5 Dark Elf
4 Lizardman
3 Necromantic
1 Pro Elf

In the top 50, over half of the top teams (54%) are of from 1 of just 3 races: Undead, Wood Elf and Skaven. Undead themselves form 30% of this total. There is a fair smattering of half a dozen other races, showing that on their day they can hold their own.

In the top 100, again over half of the teams (51%) are from those 3 races, Undead, Skaven and Wood Elves. Again Undead take the lion's share.

I was also surprised at some of the races that didn't figure in the top 100. Khemri don't make an appearance until 119th place. High Elves not til 163rd. And Humans not until 188th. Nurgle 231st. And even after these positions the races aren't exactly popular amongst the ranks of Undead, WEs, Skaven and Dwarfs. I was also surprised Chaos didn't register anywhere in the top 350 or so. I didn't think they were that uncompetitve at low TVs.

I might continue this tally if I have some time. The make up of the top 500 might be interesting.

Cheers
Joe

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Interesting stats. A significant factor is the fact that all the majors (where extra points are available) are 1 million tourneys and undead have always been very strong in this environment.

I've always considered Undead, Woodies, Amazons the strongest all-round tourney teams.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Oh and the lack of Khemri doesn't surprise me, they are not at all overpowered in tournaments - bottom end of tier 1 I'd say. Has left me a bit confused as to why Khemri are being revamped for LRB6...

If they are stronger in leagues, it seems to me this is probably because they have the power to kill and injure the other teams causing lasting damage - something which doesn't happen in tourneys.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

Pippy wrote: If they are stronger in leagues, it seems to me this is probably because they have the power to kill and injure the other teams causing lasting damage - something which doesn't happen in tourneys.
This combined with cost, you have some tricky decisions even at TV110 regarding positionals, reserves and the use of Leader.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Pippy wrote:Oh and the lack of Khemri doesn't surprise me, they are not at all overpowered in tournaments - bottom end of tier 1 I'd say. Has left me a bit confused as to why Khemri are being revamped for LRB6...

If they are stronger in leagues, it seems to me this is probably because they have the power to kill and injure the other teams causing lasting damage - something which doesn't happen in tourneys.
Khemri in leagues benefit hugely from the Inducement system. 30K linos means their TV stays artificially low and so they can add the likes of Ramtut and Setekh on top of four mummies. They also get great value from Improvements. Mummies with 2 or more skills are incredible, and that isn't something you have to face in tournaments. Even one Mummy with Block improves the team dramatically. And if someone gets +1AG the team's main weakness suddenly falls away.

Glorian Underhill
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Glorian Underhill »

I don't think that Undead are only played because coaches have only these teams at their hands. They are just a perfect team.

Slow unskillfull Lineman (Zombies, Skeletons)
Blitzers who can take guard
4 Ball Carriers with dodge and MV 7 which I would take everyday above an amazon or human or elf Catcher.
2 Mummies who can Blitz everything alone under the size of an Ogre

And an Undead Cage with two mummies on the front can crunch its way trough everything.

Plus you can regenerate dead players and even get new ones through cas, which are provided by Mighty Blow mummies. And they are good at Tr 100 and 110.

So I would say it is just the team. And last years Dungeonbowl was actually this to the extremes. It was more like an Undead and Dwarfs Dungeonbowl. Maybe next years change to TR 105 will alter this a little.

Spike!ImageSchau - Der deutsche Blood Bowl Podcast
http://www.soehne-sigmars.de/feed/spikeschau/
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

One factor in this is that to get to the top 100 you probably need to attend at least 3 tournaments with the same race and do pretty well in all of them. That restricts things to a certain number of coaches and probably each of those coaches to a certain number of teams. Then of course most of those coaches know each other well so particular trends and fashoins are likely to turn up.

Long story short I'd look at the racial diversity within teams that have won LRB5 tournaments. This is likely to be skewed too but maybe a little less so.

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Having played other GW games, it's extremely refreshing to see that nearly HALF the official teams in the top 50 put in about the same performance (3 to 6 placings) i.e. competing. Oh, and then there is Undead. :wink:

firebreather
Champion Muppet

Post by firebreather »

Pippy wrote:Oh and the lack of Khemri doesn't surprise me, they are not at all overpowered in tournaments - bottom end of tier 1 I'd say. Has left me a bit confused as to why Khemri are being revampedfor LRB6..
Quite, and yet the Undead arent being changed despite clear indications that they are overpowered :roll: theyre too damn fast for my liking they're supposed to be dead :pissed:

Echoing Geoffs comments, its nice to see so many different races in there. :)

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

They are getting 40K skeletons aren't they?

firebreather
Champion Muppet

Post by firebreather »

Joemanji wrote:They are getting 40K skeletons aren't they?
How many skelly's do you see being used on undead teams?
most people just go for zombies for the extra armour already, iincreasing the price of skellys will make this a no brainer

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

firebreather wrote:most people just go for zombies for the extra armour already, iincreasing the price of skellys will make this a no brainer
QFT

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Skeles would get Thick Skull too. So really it remains the speed vs toughness choice.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
gken1
Legend
Legend

Post by gken1 »

khemri now at 52 ;)

NFL: Praise NUFFLE!!!

Ronin Nuffle Lover.....Want a piece of me?

Werewolf Gambler

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,gken1,white,blue.png[/img][/url]
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

ianwilliams wrote:Skeles would get Thick Skull too. So really it remains the speed vs toughness choice.
.... and we all know which choice people make :)

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.