MBBL Round 5

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

1-1 now, and I've got the ball but only got 9 on the field. Still, playing constantly understrength has to be improving my coaching! :D I've only ever had 11 players in the opening game (drive?) of the season, and I believe I've only set up with 11 once (or maybe twice) in 4.5 games.

Reason: ''

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

It's sad but I've been playing consistantly understrength with orcs. I even started with no goblins and a troll. There are some tough halflings and amazons out there. Yeesh!

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

1-1 HT, and a BH Dragon Warrior. Good time for a change and go and batter people about with Orcs in Amsterdam I think!

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Pink Horror
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pink Horror »

Hey Galak, can I have the results of the MBBL1 when it's all over? I'd like to a computer ranking and see how the results compare with the chess system and your tiebreaker.

Pink Horror

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Two turns in I've attempt a trio of 3+ dodges with Dodge re-rolls. And I've failed a pair of them, naturally.

Ah, par for the course! Good thing I recovered the ball.

-Chet

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

OK an update on a couple of games:-

Gangrenettes (Undead) v Robs Rotten Rats (Skaven)

The Gangrenettes and Robs Rotten Rats has gone into O/T with the score tied at 2 each. This game is being hard on both teams - the Rats have 2 dead (2 linos one with block) and 1 SI and 2 Wights have died on my team (ironically, the 2nd wight to die passed his regen roll for a SI earlier) :(

No rerolls left on either side. The Rats won the toss and are receiving. The Rats have only 9 men (?) v the the 11 for the Undead. Unfortunately the Rats have still got both gutters and their skilled thrower.

As a footnote, the Rat Ogre has been set up in a trap five times.... he has managed to get out of it every time to date.... except for the last one :) (overall average should be 1.22 fails - so roughly on target).

Morgantown's Madness (Dwarf) v Quitters Inc (Chaos)

Well it was 0-0 at half time. Quitters received with 6 men. Amazingly they managed to score with 4 turns for the Dwarves to equalise and force O/T. A deep kick meant that the Dwarves had to hustle and they now had 7 men to face. After 2 turns it was 5 men (lots of KOs!) and needing a dodge and 2 GFIs on the last turn the Dwarves just got home.

In O/T, Chaos received but with only 6 men (v 11) and no rerolls it was going to be tough. Sure enough the first block (a blitz) was 2 block dice and the Dwarves swarmed around the ball. There was no escape and the Dwarves got the ball and scored easily. A good game and 3 completions on the Chaos team is perhaps more than a full season's worth!

Dave

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Damn! I had predicted an upset win for the rookie Chaos squad :)

-Chet

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Glad you have so much confidence in my coaching ability!

The Chaos team almost pulled it off - 2 big problems:-

1 The Handicap Rolls were not that useful:-

a) Bonehead on an unskilled (well no extra skills anyway!) Longbeard who only played when they were down men (and obviously I was down more) :(

b) Mighty Blow on a Chaos Warrior who spent more than half the second half and all O/T KO'd.

2 The number of KOs Jim got - he reckoned it was circa 10 which together with 3 cas (BH, BH and Dead) meant I played all my turns with less than 11 players (2 players off in the first turn of the match!).

It was a good game though and we both felt that the Chaos team were trying to become Elves due to the number of passes and dodges I tried (especially in the second half!).

Dave

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

Ok, here follows a report on the game between Sons of Arwen and Dawi'Zharr.. It's long but I hope you will enjoy it anyhow.

47,000 fans had gotten in to the arena where Sons of Arwen and Dawi'Zharr were about to play their first match in the Midgard Blood Bowl League. The noise was almost unbearable, the excitement hanging heavy in the otherwise clear and crisp air. Suddenly, everyone went quiet. The referee walked onto the pitch carrying the sacred coin. The coin was flicked with Dawi'Zharr winning this first clash. The Sons of Arwen took their defensive positions cheered on by the elvish fans followed by Dawi'Zharr choosing an offensive position with a slightly stronger left wing.

At the signal of the referee, the crowd went wild! The chaos dwarfs seemed to take great pride in that their fans were drowning out the sound the the elves. The kicking elf seemed to be aiming at a deep kick, the ball seemed to stay in the air forever. Just before soaring out of the field, the ball dropped hard, bouncing just on the inside of the line. But to the great despair of the elves, it bounced out of the field, awarding Dawi'Zharr with a touchback.

The chaos dwarfs gave the ball to Lazoram, one of the bull centaurs on the team, and the touchdown seemed certain. Again, the whistle cut the roar of the crowd and Dawi'Zharr charged the elves. The offensive setup hadn't been a trick. Lazoram on the left flank charged through the elvish line, closely followed by the hobgoblin Gorduz. The cheers of the dwarvish fans could have overpowered a cannon hadn't it been for Evael, an elvish lineman, tripping up Romlek who were trying to jump past him.

Taking advantage of the distraction Lewelyn, the elvish wardancer, shouted out some quick orders to his fellow players and charged Lazoram who were caught off-guard by the quick elves. Gorduz, obviously highly distracted by the events happening around him, didn't even notice how Gwenael swiftly passed by, snatching the ball as he went.

While Romlek were trying to make up for his mistake, blocking on of the elves who had charged him and Lazoram, his chaos dwarf team-mate Relg charged through trying to down Lewelyn. His efforts were thwarted by a quick jab from the elf punching him to the grass.

Gwenael then dashed over to the other wing, throwing the ball towards Lahalael who had dodged the wrath of Zephryn the minotaur and were standing in the endzone just waiting for the pass. Things were looking bad for Dawi'Zharr, but they wouldn't let a single touchdown take them down.

A new setup, and the chaos dwarves seemed intent on using the left wing for their charge although this time a cage were formed around Styrok, the hobgoblin who snatched the ball off the ground. The elves retreated to just out of reach for Dawi'Zharr, obviously intent on making the trip to the endzone a long and difficult one.

The chaos dwarfs feigned a shift of play to the right and the Sons fell for it allowing Dawi'Zharr to make the touchdown just minutes before the end of the first half.

The second half started with Dawi'Zharr setting up defensively and Sons of Arwen opting for a right-wing attack. They charged through but left Fenryl, the wood elf thrower almost in range for Lazoram to charge him. This resulted in Fenryl getting obviously stressed who tried to pass the ball to Lewelyn for another touchdown. The only problem was that Gorduz were standing just in the right position to break the pass and the crowd went absolutely wild when he snatched the ball out of its trajectory.

Being a hobgoblin, Gorduz became distracted from the cheers of the crowd and didn't even think of moving away from the two wood elves standing right next to him. Naturally, he was swiftly knocked to the ground and the ball scattered away from him.

Fenryl, taking advantage of the situation, rushed in, swept the ball and quickly shot it off towards Lewelyn. Although this time he weren't prepared and the ball slipped out of his hands. This time Igast, another hobgoblin, managed to react and while Zephryn were busy knocking Lewelyn to the ground he rushed back towards the ball, picked it up and tried to throw it to Styrok who were waiting in the middle of Dawi'Zharr's field. Obviously the ball had become slippery from being on the ground and Styrok fumbled the pass.

At this, Fenryl tried to get to the ball, but were tripped up by the Dawi'Zharr chaos dwarf Grakk. Igast realized he had another chance and went for the ball again. Though this time he rushed off and handed the ball over to Styrok instead who took the ball and ran over to the Arwen half of the field.

The wood elves did a desperate attempt to stop the rushing hobgoblin but failed. Styrok had managed to get too far ahead and the touchdown was a fact. Both teams set up again, and the elves tried one last time on the right-wing attack but the Dawi'Zharr defense proved to be too strong for them to score.

And at this the game ended, a 2-1 win for Dawi'Zharr.

-- Christer

FUMBBL - http://fumbbl.com
martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Can't do the flavoursome description that Christer has just done - sorry, I'm a mathematician by training. :wink:

Anyway, in the bottom of the table clash, the score is currently 3-0 to the Damned Generation. No more halflings have entered the casualty box, though a couple have been KO'd and only one has returned.

In the second drive of the first half, the halflings kept dropping the ball and dark elves dashed into the halflings end to grab the ball and score in the last turn of the half.

At the beginning of the second half, the dark elves received and had no trouble getting players into potential scoring positions. The second turn saw the classic run-pass-run-hand off-run-score routine.

Halflings to receive, but now with both treemen available.

Cheers,
Martyn

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

In my game against the Tautologists, I've attempted exactly 6 dodges at 3+ odds with a Dodge re-roll backing me up every time. I failed 4 of the 6 attempts on the first try. I also failed 3 of the 4 re-rolls, so I've failed 3 of 6 attempts. I'm still leading, 1-0, but the Elves won't have to do much in this last turn to get the equalizer before halftime.

-Chet

P.S. I KO'd my own players on 2 of those 4 failed dodges.

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Four players in the KO box at halftime, one for my opponent. Last kick-off, he got two of three back, I missed my lone opportunity. Figure that four rolls means I'm in good position to play the odds and get at least someone back, if not two or more.

Nope - none! My opponent's Guard sits the bench, but c'mon. Defending 11 on 10 (11 on 9 after the first three blocks of the drive) was tough enough. 10 on 7? I may as well consider the game tied.

Luck: Nuffle's way of ensuring that I don't go undefeated every season.

-Chet

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

The Halflings have scored ... hurray ... 5 Dodges and 2 GFIs to do it but they pulled it off.

The significance of this event.

The halflings first season for the MBBL faced .. in order:
Lizardmen/Orc/Chaos Dwarf/Goblin/Dark Elf

Despite a rough beginning ... including a treeman dying in the Lizardman game so I didn't have 2 trees again until the Goblin game ... the halflings have managed to score against every opponent to date at least once (even the dreaded Chaos Dwarf match-up). So while the Halflings will go without a single win for the entire season ... no one has managed to completely shut down the little guys.

For coaches like Toby who would eliminate the halflings ... this is why I would never want to see this happen. The challenge for an experienced coach like me to play halflings is a blast. My goal for the 1st season was to always score at least once .... for the 2nd season I'll try to get a win ... for 3rd I should finally have enough skills to give some folks a challenge. Sometimes the game isn't about WINNING.

Galak

Vesticle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vesticle »

Here here!

David

Pink Horror
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pink Horror »

Yep, Luck causes all my loses too.

Q: Has anyone ever lost because of poor skill?
A: Only my opponents!

I love how Chet would try to make us believe Amazons are a crappy team and he never has any luck. It's hilarious! Chet, real bad luck comes when you're losing 2-0 and you're guys still don't come out of the KO box. I was lucky enough to play against this:
Just as an amendum, my R0's threw 19 Block Dice.
0 Pows, 1 Pow/Pushback, 5 Pushbacks, 7 Pow/Skulls and 6 Skulls!
The one Pushback/Pow was against a Gobbo who had Dodge anyway, so the only time they knocked anybody down all game resulted in them going down as well, and a TO!
Ouch!
That is bad luck. You, simply facing the risk of an equalizing TD, must be having at least some luck on your side.

Pink Horror